Author Topic: The Community, Trolling, Admins, Change and the Communities Input  (Read 11333 times)

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
  • Side: Union
Re: The Community, Trolling, Admins, Change and the Communities Input
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2013, 07:33:28 am »
Too bad most of these admins are immature, and abuse their admin powers.

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2013, 07:35:53 am »
Pets, the best advice I can give you, if you feel an admin has done something wrong, screenshot or record the date/time, and present it to Deo. I have re-presentd some of my stuff to Deo, and he has acknowledged that it is something that needs to be looked into and dealt with.

Offline Deofuta

• Captain
  • 1stEPI_Fw_Deofuta
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2013, 07:40:16 am »
What I meant was I was never notified of any wrongdoings/ success. So it was basically like I was a regular admin.

Then you must have done just fine. There have been several times over the past administrative selection processes where I have had to speak to people on a one on one basis for faults made during their trial run. Honestly there is very little new administrators do that I would remove them for immediately. This is mostly because (and I think you would agree with me) the largest and most egregious faults from administrators are from those who are too comfortable with the position, and are willing to abuse the position for their own gains or pleasure.

Pets, the best advice I can give you, if you feel an admin has done something wrong, screenshot or record the date/time, and present it to Deo. I have re-presentd some of my stuff to Deo, and he has acknowledged that it is something that needs to be looked into and dealt with.

Pretty much exactly this. If you see a problem, I won't hear about it unless someone tells me. Keeping the server running smoothly is something both administrators and the community need to work towards.

Offline Doctor Scherzando

• Second Lieutenant
  • Reading abnormal levels of cancer in this sector
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorS.
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2013, 09:13:00 am »
I'm going to stay out of the "Admins" part of this as it feels dirty... As for the community, I think it would be...wishful, at best, to think that everyone could cooperate and "play nice" with each other. This is a video game after all, and competition goes hand in hand with games. You point out that the competition could and should remain friendly, which I think most people would agree with...until they find themselves in a game with some other people that seem to be drooling retarded, at which point they begin relentlessly arguing their knobs off.

So, immature fighting is simply inevitable and relatively unavoidable when we're dealing with a community composed of mostly kids (hell, including me I suppose). But the important thing is that despite all of the trivial arguments and "revolutions", or whatever the hell that was last January, most people are still here. Now, our job is to promote the game. We will of course have to wade through the deluge of Summer Sale Kids and deal with some annoying people along the way...but hopefully we can keep the annoying people who also have a vested interest in the game and the community.

All-in-all, I think I gave this way too much thought, as I do most things in life. Whatever happens, happens. But that doesn't mean we can't influence the outcome by positively reinforcing what it means to be a member of this awesome community. And yes, it is still awesome even with the Bush Pirates and the foaming-at-the-mouth competitive behavior of some regiment leaders and members.

Offline Cop

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Cop
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2013, 10:57:16 am »
About the admin thing; the least I can say is I have been very surprised at some of the selections of the past two applicant rounds.

As far as the community goes, I completely agree with you Crunch, the trolling especially. Friends like to mess around when playing and as you said, many times people take it as trolling, when it is really just friends having a good time together. As you mentioned, the trolls who really put their heart into will go away if let alone, and I truly believe in that and can testify to how effective ignoring trolls really is.

As for the competition, I think competition is good. However people within this community, including myself in the past, have taken it way too seriously. We're playing the game to have fun, so why upset each other and ourselves over something as petty as a game? There will be disagreements wherever humans interact, even in games, however there are many instances in the past that are particularly childish. Competition is fun, but too much can ruin game experiences by creating silly rivalries.

8)

Offline Savolainen5

• First Lieutenant
  • Official Server Admin and Language Nerd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: _1stRddt_E77_Savs
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2013, 12:48:31 pm »
About the admin thing; the least I can say is I have been very surprised at some of the selections of the past two applicant rounds.

This happens every time new admins are inducted, this surprise. In my roughly 7-month experience as a server admin, I have seen some people that I voted against become server admins, but who then have shaped up and/or ended up being excellent ones.

In regards to what Crunch said, I have never personally witnessed any of the abuses he mentioned, excepting one or two (that is, extremely rare) instances of extraneous usage of admin chat. I am quick to crack down on unprofessionalism when I see it from any other admin in the server, and we have discussions (whensoever it is needed, which is not often) in internal admin chat.

One grievance that Crunch brings up is the fact that people will report TKs/trolls to the admins, and we do nothing. Now, I'll speak for myself here when I say this: If I do nothing when I have heard complaints of a TKer or some other kind of troll, it is for one reason. I don't know the player reporting and cannot be certain that s/he isn't trying to get someone else slayed (this happens almost every time I come to the server), and thereby trolling. I always do my best to listen to the reports of players that I know and trust. And then we come to the trouble of sorting through a list of 70 people trying to find the one teamwounder before he kills someone in spawn, which is extremely difficult.

Some other grievance that I imagine causes some anguish among the community is that I personally have, a few times, slayed a player who wasn't trolling after hearing multiple false reports of trolling, or not slayed a player who IS trolling because I can't get to it fast enough or I don't trust the reporter and am unwilling to switch to spectator to check out something that I suspect to be a false report. I admit that I sometimes jump the gun when it comes to slaying, but this comes naturally when quick reflexes can save one or two players' lives, so that they can actually play the game that round.

Finally, one problem with being an administrator, in respect to the things I've been talking about, is that we become so used to dealing with trolls who TK just to have fun and/or annoy others that we begin to take this attitude to the general public, the majority of which are not trolls. Many who are not trolls, but commit slayable infractions, are just noobs, and when I start to see multiple rule infractions coming from the same person, I get suspicious. When I slay someone for TKing once, I will be watching that chat like a hawk to see if they do it again. Oftentimes, I will see another TK from that person, but only in chat (I want to play the game, too. Do you know how boring it is to sit in spec when everyone is well-behaved on a server and there are no trolls to punish? It's even boring when the trolls have been punished, and everyone else is just playing the game), not as a witness, and be unable to tell if it was intentional or not, because it was either near a melee or a gunshot. This is why I rely on reports, but in these specific instances, depending on the player, I usually give them the benefit of the doubt.

Anyways, that was a long and convoluted response to particular parts of what Crunch wrote. Just to recap quickly on the most important point: I have never been witness to most of what grievances he has aired about admins, with the exception of only a few rare instances of lower-than-I-would-like professionalism. I do my best to ensure that other admins in the server are representing the admin team well, and will continue to do so.
Wanna know what a wug is? Read here!

Juice_Kelly: no one wants to be savs, he's the biggest firegiant on the server.

Offline The Nutty Pig

• Donator
  • It wasn't easy being cheesy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2013, 12:58:20 pm »
Some really good points made

Offline 1stNOG_IDF

• First Lieutenant
  • I will forever serve Israel, the Jewish Homeland.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stNOG_Overlord_IDF
« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 01:08:10 pm »
I like how people think BCoF is a godsend and will save the community.

Makes me giggle.

**On another note: The admins are fine. Back when I played, I never experienced issues with them.

Nothing we say or do will save the community, unless you give the world's youth 30 bucks to buy the game. But then you'd see an increase in regiments, which as I saw in previous threads, people don't like. = more threads like this.

Come on.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 01:10:23 pm by 1stNOG_IDF »

Offline Dom13WorstNW

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2013, 01:09:52 pm »
I agree with most of your statements crunch... especially about the community

Offline 1stNOG_IDF

• First Lieutenant
  • I will forever serve Israel, the Jewish Homeland.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stNOG_Overlord_IDF
« Reply #39 on: July 06, 2013, 01:11:20 pm »
I agree with most of your statements crunch... especially about the community

Hi, wifey!

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 06, 2013, 01:34:26 pm »
To be perfectly honest a community where players are responsible for hosting the servers is always going to be problematic; the vast majority will range between inept and fascistic, with a small minority actually acting appropriately and fairly. It's harsh, but that's the truth; giving most people a semblance of power will only lead to them abusing it.

When it comes to trolling and the community that's a given; it'll happen regardless of what you try. For the most part, the latter will only go after the people who take the community far too seriously, hence the often extreme reactions to provocation. At the end of the day it's simply not worth the hassle. As long as people can play the game that's all that really matters.

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
« Reply #41 on: July 06, 2013, 01:40:31 pm »
Everyone will see things differently, everyone has their own perspective. No two people will view the same event the same way. Thus us humans are prone to arguing.

Have you ever experienced when your friend says he/she "  I didn't say that " when you KNOW they obviously didi? Well first thing you would say is that they are no good liars, however they simply interpreted what they said to be different than you.

What often happens is something i view as very funny, someone else thinks is trolling and being an arse. What you may view as politeness, someone else may view as useless bullsh*t.

So this is why people argue over what seems to be the most idiotic things. And people often gain enmity by arguing with another individual. Only in rare cases can it actually improve a relationship, but that is very unlikely with the age group of people that play this game.

Know you know why people will never get along and it just comes down to who has the better say in it all.  People will never get along, not outside this community and definetly not inside this community. You may be able to improve it but it will always remain like that since its human nature.

Long story short, nobody is incorrect. If an admin calls you a troll for something you did, its because its his point of view which differs from yours. Don't actually believe you're more correct than him, its just a perspective.

Once you are able to view events through the opposite individual(s), life become a lot easier to understand.

told that bih don't @ me

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 06, 2013, 02:29:19 pm »
When terror turns to pained ordeal,
And the community begins to squeal,
Come forth ye admins they shall call,
And rid us of these burdens all,

But if an admin is ill desired,
And indignity has thus transpired,
Then admin-true they shall all spurn,
Claiming vile corruption in their turn,

For if the hammer is brought hither,
The community shall hereby whither,
 And if the warnings are forbearing,
The community resorts to swearing,

Neither mute worthwhile can silence,
The utter protests of glaring violence,
Nor any pleas for enduring patience,
Can quell the trollish machinations,

Fearful therefore I must wonder,
Whether people can move yonder,
Past the simplest of small grievance,
In but the least of every instance.

I felt poetically inclined D:
Spoiler

[close]

Offline kpetschulat

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Petschie
« Reply #43 on: July 06, 2013, 04:37:31 pm »

Pretty much exactly this. If you see a problem, I won't hear about it unless someone tells me. Keeping the server running smoothly is something both administrators and the community need to work towards.

Okay, but when I did this, multiple times, I never received anything back from LittleGuy or Deo. I made some cases public, hoping they would see it. Of course, they tell me to pm them, then they lock my thread, but don't answer my pm. I don't have any pictures, or saved records of these pm's anymore, since the last time I sent one was months ago.

I felt poetically inclined D:
When terror turns to pained ordeal,
And the community begins to squeal,
Come forth ye admins they shall call,
And rid us of these burdens all,

But if an admin is ill desired,
And indignity has thus transpired,
Then admin-true they shall all spurn,
Claiming vile corruption in their turn,

For if the hammer is brought hither,
The community shall hereby whither,
 And if the warnings are forbearing,
The community resorts to swearing,

Neither mute worthwhile can silence,
The utter protests of glaring violence,
Nor any pleas for enduring patience,
Can quell the trollish machinations,

Fearful therefore I must wonder,
Whether people can move yonder,
Past the simplest of small grievance,
In but the least of every instance.
[close]

Could be better.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 04:46:52 pm by kpetschulat »

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 06, 2013, 05:06:02 pm »
Anything can be better; the admins, the community, the game, just depends on the resources you want to invest and where.
Spoiler

[close]