Author Topic: Give Admins Ability to Disable Chat  (Read 4193 times)

Offline Andersun

• Corporal
  • Greetings
    • View Profile
    • 5th Georgia Steam Group
  • Nick: Andy
  • Side: Neutral
Give Admins Ability to Disable Chat
« on: August 31, 2016, 04:52:12 am »
Give Admins Ability to Disable Chat

Hello, my name is Anderson. I've been apart of a regiment and have attended events from Native to NW and NaS for several years. Giving admins the ability to disable chat has been a recommended and strongly supported feature that can and should be implemented in all servers when different cultures, people, and arguments/conflicts and world views collide. This goes for communities with a large amount of people who disrupt large scale events by presenting an argument that is biased and creates tension with the community. Things like these should be kept to ourselves on teamspeaks, discords, skype/steam chats, etc. and presents a bad image of the community by only several small groups. This also creates a tendency for people to 'game throw' as it’s called as well, giving away tactics to the other team or trying reverse psychology on them to do the opposite. The game and events at hand should be focused on your perspective. One step the developers have already gone onto with this is with ghosting and giving admins the ability to have free look, to player, or to players’ camera in spectator; I ask, why can’t this be the same?

The counter argument to this will be not allowing players to give free speech or to communicate with their team or that you can already mute players in chat on your screen. However, no matter what, you have to keep in mind that these admins are most likely people who care and pay for the server and their community. Their dominion over their server should be of the upmost priority rather than public players or even members of a community who aren’t admins to give an opinion about different world events and views that should be kept elsewhere. Communication does come into point, but admins should be able to regulate between disabling team chat or global chat or both depending on the situation such as free play or events, and to those who don’t, the people will go elsewhere and find people who do. Finally muting players in your own chat doesn’t necessarily solve the problem for the community, more so for yourself to avoid chat that may ensue. I couldn’t see an entire community using the mute all players in their own chat as some people want reactions.

Since admins cannot force people to do things, nor can the micromanage every person in a 1000+ community, developers need to update the multiplayer to allow the admins to disable chat at the time and the place on the user interface, menu, or admin panel, only allowing admin and internal admin chat to remain on to relay rules or reasons for something. Tactics and voice chat with regiments or groups in game should be discussed and planned on third party applications like Teamspeak, Discord or Skype, and opinionated discussions should be outside of a certain time frame or event.

Not all communities would have to follow this or use this tool, nor does it have to be forced or maintained by communities that require chat to work, but it should be an option of those who want to keep their community focused on the game at hand. Also, going back to how this solves a community problem and not an individual problem, disabling the chat removes admins to need to view logs for offensive or racist statements (whether or not you believe in that), and helps players focus on the game than what the chat is saying. Spamming is another problem that happens, whether its spam from an individual or the entire sever, it fills up the chat box which breaks it so you can no longer view kills or important messages from team communication temporarily. It’s an annoyance that no one should be have to deal with and it is easily exploitable without an ability to disable chat.

I don’t know if the developers care about those who enjoy and remain with the game, as it seems they are focusing on Mount and Blade II, but getting a tiny team and adding this feature which separately disables the team and all chat would both improve stability and create less conflict that would otherwise drive new players away from the game. A large amount of people I know would support this idea and would publicly state this is the right way to go. Who knows, this might even be considered for Mount and Blade II.

In conclusion, the community in general is very much immature in way it communicates through chats about opinions, and it needs admins to regulate the sort of behavior both at the moment and in their communities with this tool.
Anderson Coppen
Lieutenant Colonel of the 5th Georgia

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
Re: Give Admins Ability to Disable Chat
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2016, 05:02:01 am »
the game will not be receiving any more updates but there are mods out there that can mute someone for the entire server.  and i am guessing mute all would also work the same way.  look or ask around in the modding section to get it for your server.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Andersun

• Corporal
  • Greetings
    • View Profile
    • 5th Georgia Steam Group
  • Nick: Andy
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2016, 05:23:55 am »
Buts here the problem to that, even if the developers aren’t going to update it, it should be addressed and realized to them within the game that this is a problem, and could be a problem in their upcoming game. It’s neglecting both new players, veterans, and community leaders who find the game to be entertaining and continues to make people want to come back for more. So many people have left because of 'cancerous' chat boxes which lead to a decline in the community in general. Also:

Finally muting players in your own chat doesn’t necessarily solve the problem for the community, more so for yourself to avoid chat that may ensue. I couldn’t see an entire community using the mute all players in their own chat as some people want reactions.
there are mods out there that can mute someone for the entire server. and i am guessing mute all would also work the same way.

My point still stands about the mute all players, if you've read it all. This doesnt solve a problem for everyone, only for a certain person or group; I have never heard of a mod that disables chats for specific players.
Anderson Coppen
Lieutenant Colonel of the 5th Georgia

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2016, 06:15:31 am »
The devs are working on their new game.   NW hasn't seen an update since fall/summer of 2013.  They aren't going to change their mind now just to change how mutes works.  Thinking they will come back is foolhardy.    the devs working on bannerlord are different from the ones that made this.  if you want them to implement it, post on their forums. 

If you think this should be in BCoF, then make a post in the donator board or in the BCoF part of the forums.

My point still stands about the mute all players, if you've read it all. This doesnt solve a problem for everyone, only for a certain person or group; I have never heard of a mod that disables chats for specific players.

i have came across some scripts in the past that muted someone for the entire server, not just for you.(even some other mods have this)  and, i assume, the mute all with that mod would mute everyone.(talk to the scripter about it)  i forgot to mention, outside of muting players, afaik it is impossible for anyone to see the code or change it when it comes to all or team chat.(includes NW devs afaik)  meaning it is impossible to tinker with them .  admin chat has it's own code that can be tweaked. 

anyways, as someone who has played a lot on NA1(arguably the most active server on the NA side or in general for NW over the years) since near release, i have seen my fair share of cancerous chat.  While it can get bad, it is not that bad imo.  The option for the player to mute the chat themselves is always there if they don't want to be bothered by the chat or what is written in the chat.   even linebattles that have rules against certain chat but they are never enforced.(makes you wonder why the rule is there in the first place)

if you think it would be best for you and your group/lb/whatever, then look into getting a script that mutes chat for everyone.(i dont recall if it blocks internal admin chat, but i am sure one can get around that if the scripter wants to) if you play with the same people all the time, then you can make rules among yourselves regarding chat and how to admin it. 
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2016, 12:21:55 pm »
Would there be a possibility this would become a mod, but only server-side so not everyone would have to download it?
Otherwise I think it's an excellent idea.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Online John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2016, 01:27:15 pm »
Its a very unnecessary idea in all honesty. Just purge the people that cannot follow your rules, thats why they are there for.

Also there is a admin script mod. Download it if you want extra tools.
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Miller786

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2016, 10:35:53 am »
never looked into it but i don't think it should be hard to edit the server to not allow chat...