Author Topic: What would you do with unlimited wealth?  (Read 12507 times)

Offline Gared

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Yusuf
  • Side: Neutral
Re: What would you do with unlimited wealth?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2014, 09:02:36 am »
Hm, if we're being serious...

I'd get a house, never work another day for the rest of my life, get a cool gaming rig, and then I'd probably run for political office.

And if THAT doesn't work, I'd just hire a private army and take over my birth-nation. Because fuck monarchs.

Morocco is our country! It will never be yours

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2014, 07:23:32 pm »
On a more serious note, I'd do something I am wanting to do for some time now:
You don't even need unlimited wealth for that, a couple of hundred buck are fine.

Just going to a pretty big city, like London, or New York, where there are a lot of tourists. And of what I speak the language.
Look around for homeless people. And, you know, not just give them money, but take them out for a luch of something. Have general conversation. Be interested. Ya know?

Just is something I personally want to do.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Toffee

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2014, 12:28:39 am »
On a more serious note, I'd do something I am wanting to do for some time now:
You don't even need unlimited wealth for that, a couple of hundred buck are fine.

Just going to a pretty big city, like London, or New York, where there are a lot of tourists. And of what I speak the language.
Look around for homeless people. And, you know, not just give them money, but take them out for a luch of something. Have general conversation. Be interested. Ya know?

Just is something I personally want to do.
That's a nice idea. Would be nice to help people less fortunate than us lot. :)

Offline ClearlyInvsible

• Donator
  • I'm still here. Dunno why.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: ClearlyInvsible
« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2014, 01:50:23 am »

I'd get a house, never work another day for the rest of my life, get a cool gaming rig, and then I'd probably run for political office.

And if THAT doesn't work, I'd just hire a private army and take over my birth-nation. Because fuck monarchs.

Hey, it would be a perfectly working Communist society with me as the head!

Aaaaand now the NSA is going to shoot me. I bequeath all my belongings to Nipplestockings, Duuring and Howe. How they split it is up to them.
"No man will make a great leader who wants to do it all himself or get all the credit for doing it."- Andrew Carnegie
“A man who has no conscience, no goodness, does not suffer.” - Khaled Hosseini
Faggots will burn in hell anyway, who cares.

Offline Colonel Howe

• Donator
  • There isn't a noose tight enough
    • View Profile
    • People's History Podcast
  • Nick: Noah
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2014, 04:33:35 am »

Hey, it would be a perfectly working Communist society with me as the head!

Aaaaand now the NSA is going to shoot me. I bequeath all my belongings to Nipplestockings, Duuring and Howe. How they split it is up to them.
Nipplestockings hoards them in his negro, Duuring shoves them up his butt and screams "FOR DUTCHLAND" and I divy them amongst the people become the glorious sovereign of a unified world.
Fuck off, Nazi scum

Offline EdwardC

• Donator
  • Cyberbullying + Memes = FSE Forums
    • View Profile
    • 9th East Norfolk
« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2014, 07:43:07 am »
Buy the counties of France, United Kingdom, and Germany then invade Russia.

I don't know what am saying, im so tired...  ::)

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2014, 12:10:15 pm »
I would do a lot of good.  8)

Spread the wealth, help the poor, and do my best to subvert the system. Fund political and media organizations. Also, create community centers with an emphasis on civics.
Fund and establish autonomous non-profit social centres.

I'd also set some money aside for myself so that I can spend some time educating myself on progressive- and anarchism-based education (you know, the ones based on the ideas of people like John Dewey and Francisco Ferrer).
Then I'd use the money to set up a global confederated network of schools and collectives based on these principles.

I - along with thousands of other agitators will begin educating kids on the ideals of anarchism and thus begin the necessary process required to create an anarchist revolution. It took the Spaniards about 70 years to collectively educate themselves and create the Spanish Revolution of 1936. I'm guessing that, assuming I start tomorrow, a spontaneous global revolution can happen in the year 2080 or somewhere near that time.

I'd also buy a huge chunk of land, pretty much an entire valley. Set up wind & solar generation facilities to power more than my max expected energy demands and tap into the local aquifer if possible, with a wind-powered pump & huge holding tanks near the top of the ridge.

Then I'd build what would basically be a huge underground bunker complex of a house further down the hill. Water storage uphill would provide plenty of operating pressure, and I'd have one of the tanks have a large exposed black surface to provide solar heating of water to cut down on energy needs there.

Then I'd build some glass domes for greenhouses, a very well-equipped kitchen, and dormitories (all part of the same underground complex, except for the domes of course). I'd also build a fucking huge shop, equipped with all of the tools I could ever see needing.

The valley would have a basic airstrip, woodlot, etc. Then I'd invite all of my friends to live there with me, and have an open door policy for anyone that wanted to visit. Guests would be allowed to come and go as they want, as well as make use of the shop, library, etc.

Any money after that would be set up in a trust to provide operating & unexpected expenses in the future. Any further money after that would likely be invested in either setting up identical operations elsewhere or perhaps in a number of charities, or possibly starting my own.

In essence, I guess, I'd be setting up a self-sufficient commune of a sorts.
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2014, 12:41:29 pm »
So essentially you are going to brainwash children into following your political ideas.

Offline Augy

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2014, 02:18:25 pm »
Learning is something we do naturally, curiosity is a human trait that can only really be extinguished using institutions like modern schools. For example, let's take reading and writing. When kids are read stories by their parents, they are fascinated, they get enveloped into the story. Eventually they will want to be able to read for themselves so they will ask people to teach them. Similarly, children are creative like fuck. They will also want to write their own adventures, draw their own comics (i used to do that). Education doesn't have to be forced, don't take today's schooling system as an example.

The history of higher education is really fascinating — you can trace the modern Western university back to the 10th-12th centuries in Europe.

What really blew my mind was that there were essentially two very different university models back then. First was the faculty guild model, which we're all familiar with, best exemplified in the Universities of Paris and Oxford.

However, there was a second model, actually older, based in southern Europe, particularly in Bologna and Padua — based on a student guild model, where students had, for hundreds of years, basically complete control over all university functions, with most matters decided democratically amongst themselves or through their elected representatives.

There's always been an anarchist, democratic current underlying higher education since its conception. Of course, it's been very much in the interest of people currently running higher ed to avoid mentioning that at all.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 02:22:29 pm by Augy »
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 25, 2014, 02:46:03 pm »
Good job on completely ignoring what I said.

Offline Augy

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
« Reply #40 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:07 pm »
You're being an asshole for the sake of being right, you need to work on removing your narcissist tendencies because they are getting in the way of objective thinking.

You fail to realise that our current education system is centered around preparing children for a future in Capitalism, meaning preparing them on getting jobs in a competitive market. Children naturally develop and pursue their own interests, and it is the role of friends, parents, family members to provide them with materials that help further their own education.

Money isn't the only, and not even a very good incentive to do something good with your life. Greed makes doctors give patients treatments they don't need and would probably be better off without. Removing the greed factor would therefor also reduce the need of doctors overall.

I'm laughing at you because you think giving autonomy to students is brainwashing.

AeroNinja

« Reply #41 on: August 25, 2014, 03:01:25 pm »
Not going to the shit school anymore. I would do too.

Offline Augy

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
« Reply #42 on: August 25, 2014, 03:10:06 pm »
I bet Duuring is one of those people that asks everyone in class what grade they have. I could be wrong but he fits the mold. These people usually become drones of the apparatus, not being able to think objectively.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 25, 2014, 03:45:05 pm »
You literally said you wish to educate people into your political ideas, and you claim it's legit by the simple fact that, according to you, your ideology is 'the right one'. I've heard that before.

I prefer the current system we have where you are educated about democracy and the right to choose your own ideas, a right you use extensively while claiming you don't have it.

Offline Augy

• Major General
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
« Reply #44 on: August 25, 2014, 04:38:34 pm »
Look at modern schools etc, there was never trace of ideology, the relationship between teacher and student was the students grow and develop into self-reliant, liberty-loving men and women.

Indirectly, you are mimicking the forces of tradition and reaction.

read this : http://libcom.org/history/articles/1859-1909-francisco-ferrer

i doubt anyone would be against this, you're just being militant because youre dealing with an anarchist. The more you read about us, the more we become the good guys.