Poll

Should Pistols be buffed?

Yes! Absolutely! I can't hit the broadside of a barn!
No! I can hit a rabbit from 5 miles away!

Author Topic: Pistol Buff  (Read 14443 times)

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
  • American Vocabulary Trooper
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Windbusche
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Pistol Buff
« Reply #15 on: November 20, 2012, 05:16:18 am »
I personally think the sword is rather underpowered. You cannot fight groups as easily, albeit 1v1 is much easier. I think buffing the pistol would make an officer stand more of a chance against a group. The lucky shot that could slightly wound a man isn't enough. I think if they're close enough it should be a one hit kill, that way the officer then has a chance to fight the others more effectively.

Right now Bayonets are the preferred weapon to fight groups. And also their shots are accurate enough to end a 1v1 before they get close to even initiate it.

I believe the Pistol should at least even the odds slightly. :)

Offline Oposum

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 20, 2012, 11:47:58 am »
When one team spams officers and rushes, it ends up in curb-stomp battle (officers being the ones who stomp others), making pistol stronger would make them just unstoppable.
Although pistol is more of psychological weapon when not used in large numbers, and fairly useless, there are people who can hit 9/10 shots at close ranges and rack up nice scores with it.
Also, using pistol as skirmisher ranker is quite insane. I usually can't hit anything, but with this combination I hit around 7/10 shots at medium ranges (pretty much all shots at close ranges).

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
  • "And I believe I have cut your throat"- Fiore
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wryngwyrm
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2012, 12:46:24 pm »
There's a simply solution to the alleged captain spam everyone claims goes on... limit the number of captains allowed in the server :/ not that difficult really, rather than nerfing pistols to combat an issue that is hardly a real issue

Offline Modig

• First Lieutenant
  • Aspirerande arbetsaristoj
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 20, 2012, 01:39:32 pm »
There's a simply solution to the alleged captain spam everyone claims goes on... limit the number of captains allowed in the server :/ not that difficult really, rather than nerfing pistols to combat an issue that is hardly a real issue

Its not the number of captains that creates the problem, it is the teamwork of multiple people with the ability to strafe/walk as they reload and short reload times.

The number of captains is already limited  :P

Besides, it's not a claim that people are abusing this. It is not the point. The point is that it is proof that the captain is a killing machine with a little teamwork, and that he possesses more of 1v1 qualities than taking down groups. Albeit, with a little skill, that isn't hard at all tbh.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 01:44:50 pm by Modig »

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2012, 03:05:39 pm »
If someone is using teamwork I say that's a good thing, counter their teamwork with teamwork of your own, this is the dynamic nature of combat, the tug and pull of battle, it's how it should be. Imagine how dull the game would be if no one ever had to adapt, cooperate, or think dynamically to defeat the enemy.

I do however think that the speed of walking while reloading the pistol should be slower, it should be more like a walk rather than a trot. But I also think the pistol should be more powerful at short distances.

Offline Maroon

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Maroon
« Reply #20 on: November 20, 2012, 03:30:42 pm »
I think it's a good thing this resurrected too :P
I started the last topic on Taleworlds, and I polled to see what people thought. I still think the best solution would be to increase the captain's proficiency in firearms, as it increases damage and accuracy a bit, without making the pistol too overpowered when picked up by other classes.
Here's the previous topic: http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php/topic,251640.0.html

Offline Modig

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 20, 2012, 03:42:00 pm »
If someone is using teamwork I say that's a good thing, counter their teamwork with teamwork of your own, this is the dynamic nature of combat, the tug and pull of battle, it's how it should be. Imagine how dull the game would be if no one ever had to adapt, cooperate, or think dynamically to defeat the enemy.

Please do counter a moving machine gun

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 20, 2012, 03:54:45 pm »
Simple, stay at a distance and shoot him, his pistol has the accuracy of a down syndrome child with a missing eye. Or use teamwork and shoot at him with infantry, if that doesn't kill him the cavalryman about to put a saber up his distracted arse will. It's called teamwork. I think you're forgetting the pistol's laughable inaccuracy. And to call an officer a moving machine gun is a hilariously inaccurate description, I've seen .22 pistols with more damage than the pistols in game and the accuracy is horrid. I've never once had a problem with taking down an officer, even without teamwork, nor have I ever seen these "moving machine guns" you speak of. They're pathetically inaccurate, have pitiful damage, and if you're at a distance they're not a threat at all unless they're unbelievably lucky.

Offline MaHuD

• Major
    • View Profile
    • Reveran
  • Nick: MaHuD
« Reply #23 on: November 20, 2012, 04:00:30 pm »
That what you have not seen, may still exist.

[18:51] <Evanovic> Mahud can I nominate you for best villian 2013?

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 20, 2012, 06:41:37 pm »
Added a poll.

Offline Oposum

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 20, 2012, 06:58:13 pm »
Simple, stay at a distance and shoot him, his pistol has the accuracy of a down syndrome child with a missing eye. Or use teamwork and shoot at him with infantry, if that doesn't kill him the cavalryman about to put a saber up his distracted arse will. It's called teamwork. I think you're forgetting the pistol's laughable inaccuracy. And to call an officer a moving machine gun is a hilariously inaccurate description, I've seen .22 pistols with more damage than the pistols in game and the accuracy is horrid. I've never once had a problem with taking down an officer, even without teamwork, nor have I ever seen these "moving machine guns" you speak of. They're pathetically inaccurate, have pitiful damage, and if you're at a distance they're not a threat at all unless they're unbelievably lucky.

You have never seen true officer spam. While one pistol is pathetic, dozen of them on one place means constant hailstorm of bullets which doesn't have to be accurate as the sheer volume of fire more than makes up for it. And once they reach melee, half of them will slice you to pieces while other half will reload and pointblank you.
As for cav attacking officer spam, it's pure suicide since pistol will 1 hit kill anyone who is moving towards you on horse and they can kill most of the horses in 2-3 hits (1 for light horse) which is really easy considering fast reload and that you're not stationary target while reloading.

Offline Modig

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2012, 07:06:07 pm »

You have never seen true officer spam. While one pistol is pathetic, dozen of them on one place means constant hailstorm of bullets which doesn't have to be accurate as the sheer volume of fire more than makes up for it. And once they reach melee, half of them will slice you to pieces while other half will reload and pointblank you.
As for cav attacking officer spam, it's pure suicide since pistol will 1 hit kill anyone who is moving towards you on horse and they can kill most of the horses in 2-3 hits (1 for light horse) which is really easy considering fast reload and that you're not stationary target while reloading.

What he said ^

With moving machine gun I meant officers in plural. If as little as two officers cooperate the sky really is the limit, as you have mobility and still can offer a barrage quicker than any unit type in-game. It is surprisingly easy to head-shot incoming horses with pistols, as Opo mentions, and how is anyone going to alone dispatch two swordsmen? You need to severely outnumber them in some cases.

Offline Viktor 90th

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 20, 2012, 07:13:38 pm »
They say a pictures worth a thousand words...

Offline KillerMongoose

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 21, 2012, 04:04:08 am »
You can't seriously be telling me that you think 2 captains working together forms some kind of unstoppable killing machine from hell. They have no accuracy, 2 pistols is not enough to suppress even 1 musketeer. And under no circumstances will you ever find a dozen captains in one game unless the server allows it. And beating a captain in melee is not impossible for one person unlike you seem to claim. It takes this little thing called skill. Victory isn't given to you, you have to fight for it

Offline Windbusche

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 21, 2012, 05:06:25 am »
To be fair, if the two captains get close enough to accurately hit you with a pistol in the first place as an infantryman, you're doing it wrong. And even so, strafe and stab. Easiest solution, just like the one to Dragoons. I still think the pistol needs a buff.

I was on Official US 1 earlier, one pistol kill, a headshot, by a dragoon. I played for three maps.