Author Topic: Iron Europe died so Fast  (Read 9482 times)

Offline TheHunted0

• First Lieutenant
  • 15thYR
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TheHunted
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Iron Europe died so Fast
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2014, 06:08:23 pm »
I never even played it. I was away from home for a few months and didn't have a reliable connection (that is I got 999 ping on every server), and so I decided to just wait til I got back to my regular computer. Two months later it was dead, and I still had another few weeks to go before I could even download the game. I finally downloaded it and opened it up, and there were ten people total spread across three servers. Such a shame...
Yea that's a shame I had so much fun at the start when Iron Europe was launched. Unlucky man

Offline BNS Marko

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
    • Bear Force 2
  • Nick: BNS Marko
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2014, 09:45:14 pm »
Gotta blame the collective testers which I also was. Whenever the call to come test was done the most that came on was about 70, which still ran well, if all the testers came on we'd have seen how it faired at a high amount of players before release.
This is very true, if some of those 'regiment' testers actually showed up there'd be 150+ of us and we could give quality feedback to the team. And those same people then whined when events crashed at 200 men events.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2014, 11:32:30 pm »
Well, Vince worked on it for quite some while and he assured me that the new Build should work with 200 players. But its hard to test that... If there is no one playing.

Offline Colbac

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 24th[LtCol]_Colbac
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2014, 12:44:57 am »
The biggest two problems (for me) were

1. Conquest would always end up with both sides rushing one location on the map, and that faction that would gain that one spot would basically win every time. Not very fun when basically the game is decided in the first 2 minutes. The most fun I had on Iron Europe actually, was on siege, because it gave the attackers certain advantages like infinite respawns, so it wasn't impossible for the attackers, but they still had a great challenge.  Unfortunately, you couldn't cap the final point on siege, but it was still fun.

2. Server crashes and technicalities, which is a shame because I was hopeful that after the recent update that supposedly fixed the server issues, more people would play. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to actually see if it worked or not.

I don't really think there was anything else. Everything else was pretty solid. Just these things were so major that everything else suffered from it IMO.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2014, 01:18:22 am »
Yes, the maps with 3 capture points only are rather boring. It will end up with one team completly decimating the other team.

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2014, 03:22:37 am »
Second problem is supposedly solved by Vince's fixes. We will find a way to test this before our next update. The first issue we plan to fix by locking flags under attack from spawning. This means that heavily defended flags aren't impossible to capture like they were before. Flags will change hands more often so gameplay will be more varied.

Offline Colbac

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 24th[LtCol]_Colbac
« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2014, 05:28:59 am »
And if you could, check to see if the flag on siege is bugged. If its not that, then it must've of been the map we were playing on then.

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2014, 02:46:27 pm »
Gotta blame the collective testers which I also was. Whenever the call to come test was done the most that came on was about 70, which still ran well, if all the testers came on we'd have seen how it faired at a high amount of players before release.
The problem for me was, that the testing events had no fixed time. They just randomly poped up in Steam. No wonder so less testers showed everytime up (me inlcuded). A closed beta event to test the game on heart and kidney should have planned at least for a week. So people would have had time to schedule it. And btw planning everything via Steam is not good either. I miss most of the popups or chat requests when I'm ingame. Another reason why I rarely showed up. I just didn't even notice it.

:-\

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
  • Royal Engineers Commander and IE Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2014, 03:35:55 pm »
Does anyone have a regiment I can join? The 27JP has currently died and I miss this game. I was head of artillery in both IE and NW with about 50 people in the regiment in total and I have lots of experience with both games as officers since Mount and Musket.

Offline Mr. Logic

• Sergeant
  • DoE Award level: Golden Shower
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2014, 04:16:23 pm »
technical issues aside WW1 is just not a fun conflict to make a game around, from what I played of this game it played in exactly the same way as an old Half-Life mod called The Trenches (except with bigger maps and more players) the game just turned into a rail gun fight where 90% of the time you couldn't see who killed you/get a chance to shoot back, combined with the fairly bland battlefields of WW1 (trench systems with a few objects and craters thrown in) the novelty of playing a WW1 themed game wares off fast. 
PM me for Iron Eorupe Signatures

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2014, 08:01:45 pm »
technical issues aside WW1 is just not a fun conflict to make a game around, from what I played of this game it played in exactly the same way as an old Half-Life mod called The Trenches (except with bigger maps and more players) the game just turned into a rail gun fight where 90% of the time you couldn't see who killed you/get a chance to shoot back, combined with the fairly bland battlefields of WW1 (trench systems with a few objects and craters thrown in) the novelty of playing a WW1 themed game wares off fast.

WHAT? How can you say it is not fun. Always the constant threat of dying, shrapnel flying everywhere and just shooting blindly for dear life! I love this so much... I hate fast arcade shooters and it's not really a rail shooter if you actually have to use tactics to achieve something...

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 08:41:28 am »

WHAT? How can you say it is not fun. Always the constant threat of dying, shrapnel flying everywhere and just shooting blindly for dear life! I love this so much... I hate fast arcade shooters and it's not really a rail shooter if you actually have to use tactics to achieve something...

That.

Offline Friedrich

• Donator
  • 84e. Est. 2010. Official Non-Regiment Hopper.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Friedrich
« Reply #27 on: June 24, 2014, 01:37:34 pm »
They goal on this mod is not to get kills, the goal is to hold flags or conquer flags. But most players are too stupid to realize this means to achieve that with teamplay and less individual skill. Imo it would be better, if kills wouldn't be displayed or at least not the offender in chat.
But this is a general problem of Warband: it is rewarding only for kills. Not for kill aids, smart tactical moves or strategic thinking. And most players have spiritualized this kill thinking.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 01:40:46 pm by Friedrich »

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 05:07:42 pm »
They goal on this mod is not to get kills, the goal is to hold flags or conquer flags. But most players are too stupid to realize this means to achieve that with teamplay and less individual skill. Imo it would be better, if kills wouldn't be displayed or at least not the offender in chat.
But this is a general problem of Warband: it is rewarding only for kills. Not for kill aids, smart tactical moves or strategic thinking. And most players have spiritualized this kill thinking.

Plus nobody goes medic as you don't get points for it.... Stuff like that! As an officer I would always come at the bottom of the scoreboard but without my leadership my team might lose many of the round we won. People really need to understand this but most people want to be the badass soldier and be in charge. This is a problem we have had in regiments. People joined but then hated it because they couldn't be a top officer within a week...

Offline super_ninja185

• First Sergeant
  • [19thYork]-Pro Patria (For Country)
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [19thYork]Col_Ninja
« Reply #29 on: July 09, 2014, 08:46:13 am »
Are there any Regiments for IE anymore? If so I will see if i can get some event going. I really loved the events for IE and I am willing to try to bring IE back to life. Add me on steam if interested
https://steamcommunity.com/id/super_ninja185/