Author Topic: When people make servers can they be hacked  (Read 2467 times)

Offline [Gen] Ben

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
When people make servers can they be hacked
« on: February 09, 2017, 07:07:45 am »
I was just wondering is if you make a server for NW or N&S can you get hacked by people just wanted to know cause a friend of mine is saying you can get hacked by people cause of a router to your PC

Offline ~NickCole~

• Brigadier General
  • Your nans
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 093
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: When people make servers can they be hacked
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2017, 03:28:52 pm »
Obviously you can get ddosed but idk about being hacked. If some N3rd with no life wants to come hack a server from a dead game then they are wasting their time, but I never seen a NW server hacked before.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2017, 07:05:50 pm »
I was just wondering is if you make a server for NW or N&S can you get hacked by people just wanted to know cause a friend of mine is saying you can get hacked by people cause of a router to your PC

If they can do that, they probably aren't wasting their time on it, but doing other shit instead.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Dodo

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dodo / RaJiska
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 01:05:13 am »

As mentioned above you can effectively be DDoSed, but I also think you can be hacked.
Warband server version currently has some severe flows regarding security which are exploitable by someone with quite a lot of knowledge and low level programming languages.

Offline [Gen] Ben

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 04:52:43 pm »
ok just wondering and also what's the chances of being hacked 1-10

Offline Ketzl

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2017, 04:52:51 am »
If your concern is whether or not someone can hack the server and take control, no.
If your concern is whether they can hack your computer through your server, definitely no.
 What they can do is spam it with enough conflicting information that it disables itself and cannot operate. This is called a DDoS or Directed Denial of Service. Napoleonic war's archaic DDoS protection makes it particularly vulnerable to such attacks. On the other hand it is unlikely to happen as DDoS are most usually directed at major companies not gaming servers.
Your computer however is protected by modern up to date protection, and your router is doubly protected.
There was an old scare that by hosting a minecraft server you could be hacked through the port that minecraft required to recieve information from the players. This was completely false. You cannot be hacked through port forwarding. (which is a process used to host a minecraft server, and to host a mount and blade server)

Tl:Dr your server would most definitely not be invulnerable, but your computer, your files, your passwords, are safe behind a nice big firewall.

Offline [Gen] Ben

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2017, 05:55:27 pm »
If your concern is whether or not someone can hack the server and take control, no.
If your concern is whether they can hack your computer through your server, definitely no.
 What they can do is spam it with enough conflicting information that it disables itself and cannot operate. This is called a DDoS or Directed Denial of Service. Napoleonic war's archaic DDoS protection makes it particularly vulnerable to such attacks. On the other hand it is unlikely to happen as DDoS are most usually directed at major companies not gaming servers.
Your computer however is protected by modern up to date protection, and your router is doubly protected.
There was an old scare that by hosting a minecraft server you could be hacked through the port that minecraft required to recieve information from the players. This was completely false. You cannot be hacked through port forwarding. (which is a process used to host a minecraft server, and to host a mount and blade server)

Tl:Dr your server would most definitely not be invulnerable, but your computer, your files, your passwords, are safe behind a nice big firewall.

Thanks for the info

Offline Freestyler

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Freestyler
  • Side: Union
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 02:23:25 pm »

yes its easy (when it host on your own pc)+(pc/ts3-ip)

Offline Dodo

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dodo / RaJiska
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2017, 07:56:52 pm »

Read my post above.