Author Topic: Violence in France  (Read 30088 times)

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Violence in France
« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2015, 07:17:24 pm »
But muh rights.
Spoiler
[close]
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2015, 09:13:17 pm »
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna

Offline Archduke Sven

• Brigadier General
  • I have over 1000 warning points, be careful.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: regimentless sven
  • Side: Union
« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2015, 10:39:24 pm »
he stil doing a lot more than you've done augy

i see you havent traveled to kurdiland yet to fight with your anarchist brethren yet?

told that bih don't @ me

Offline KurassierNixon

• First Lieutenant
  • Nemo me impune lacessit
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Panini
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2015, 12:03:02 am »
he stil doing a lot more than you've done augy

i see you havent traveled to kurdiland yet to fight with your anarchist brethren yet?

kurdiland sounds like a C rated local amusement park

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2015, 03:40:30 am »
9-11 Coaster.

Find out what it's like to spin, glide, skim and fly like a giant airplane when you experience "United Airlines Flight 175"® – the only flying roller coaster of its kind in the world. Riders are taunted by a head-first, face-down inverted crash into the twin towers… and that's just the beginning. Experience the full force and power of riding down the twin towers, all on one of the deadliest tracks in the world.

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2015, 06:25:56 am »
9-11 Coaster.

Find out what it's like to spin, glide, skim and fly like a giant airplane when you experience "United Airlines Flight 175"® – the only flying roller coaster of its kind in the world. Riders are taunted by a head-first, face-down inverted crash into the twin towers… and that's just the beginning. Experience the full force and power of riding down the twin towers, all on one of the deadliest tracks in the world.

+1 10/10
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2015, 08:49:53 am »
How are those gun laws working out for you, France?

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2015, 09:09:54 am »
It doesn't say what crimes. Also where did you get that from?

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2015, 10:15:49 am »
I just found the image, but I looked it up and it's accurate. It covers all forms of violent crime, I think.

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2015, 11:24:10 am »
According to the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime France has a murder rate of 1 per 100 000. The rate is close to what you can find in other civilized European countries like Italy (0.9), Germany (0.8), Spain (0.8), United Kingdom (1),
Czech Republic (1). The United States however have a murder rate of 4.7, the same as Niger.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_intentional_homicide_rate#cite_note-UNODC_Homicide_Chart_by_Country-9
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:44:14 am by MaxLam »

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2015, 11:42:53 am »
Yes, a country with a far higher population, more diverse socioeconomic spectrum and a problem with poverty among immigrant and economically stagnant communities has a problem with homicide.

What are you attributing this to?

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2015, 11:55:56 am »
I was just saying that your meme is wrong. That's also true for other crimes:

- Robbery: In 2006 the USA had a rate of 146.4, above the highest quartile. In 2004 France had a rate of 10.8, below the lowest quartile.

- Burglary: France (622.4) is slighty behind the USA (714.4)

- Rape: With 180.1, France is in the median. The USA however are above the highest quartile with 786.7.

http://www.unodc.org/documents/data-and-analysis/Crime-statistics/International_Statistics_on_Crime_and_Justice.pdf

I don't see however how "far higher population" can cause crime. The density is much higher in France. It's the equivalent of what you can find in Ohio, Pennsylvania and California. There is 66 million inhabitants in France, the equivalent of California + Texas.

There is also a lot of poverty amongst immigrants in France. The latest events are directly a result of this poverty. I don't attribute the crime rate to the sole ownership of weapons, this was merely an answer to your meme.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2015, 12:20:59 pm »
Because along with the USA's population being larger, it's also far more diverse. New England is roughly the same size as a typical European country, with a higher HDI, similar GDP, and similar crime rate. In France, the population is not nearly as diverse and so the crime rate, HDI, etc. is roughly the same in every part of the country. The laws, economic standards, and regulations are also the same across the board, which is not how it works in the US.

Anyway, the 'meme' I posted was not to be taken seriously - just bait, like most of the shit in this thread. The data in my image does seemed to be backed up by numerous sources, but I don't know with what criteria they came to that conclusion, nor do I really care enough to find out. The quip about weapon laws in France was also unrelated.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2015, 02:02:32 pm »
Question is also if those statistics only take "mainland" France and US into account or if they count all those little Islands too.
I would imagine that the cultural differences between them are quite large.

And yes, you are right. The US has a much broader diversity.
A direct comparison is stupid anyway. You need to pick a state if you want to compare it to France. France is centralized, all departments have the same laws (I think). The US doesn't. It would make more sense to compare it to a single state.

Offline Augy

• Major General
  • Anarchist. Absurdist. Existentialist. Man. Human.
    • View Profile
    • The Royal Recruits
  • Nick: -[TRR]- Cpt. Augy
« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2015, 02:03:09 pm »
Breaking news: The French are obsessed with themselves and a Jewish group is hanging out with people who advocate Hitler-esque politics because they both hate Arabs so much.

http://www.vice.com/read/far-right-france-philip-kleinfeld
“Ego is a structure that is erected by a neurotic individual who is a member of a neurotic culture against the facts of the matter. And culture, which we put on like an overcoat, is the collectivized consensus about what sort of neurotic behaviors are acceptable.” -Terence McKenna