Author Topic: Post your canteen  (Read 15136 times)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
Re: Post your canteen
« Reply #45 on: September 30, 2016, 02:27:34 pm »
There was a french supplier for waistcoats, but I lost it. Maybe Duuring still has it.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #46 on: September 30, 2016, 04:11:17 pm »
Will look it up when I'm home.

Did KGL soldiers even have waistcoats? In the French army, they were specifically meant for NCO's and wearing non-regulation clothing was forbidden.

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 30, 2016, 05:04:55 pm »
In the French army, they were specifically meant for NCO's and wearing non-regulation clothing was forbidden.

Then, the campaign of 1812 occured....
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 30, 2016, 05:33:48 pm »
Maybe during the later half of that campaign, but regulations were regulations and they were enforced rather strictly.

I understand you are making a joke Ted, but excusus like 'what about 1812' or 'it's logical that they had it' are too often heard in re-enactment. I know we will never be able to fully research what these men did and did not wear, but a little more effort would sometimes be appropiate.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 05:36:02 pm by Duuring »

Offline Blaze

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Blaze
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #49 on: September 30, 2016, 06:36:57 pm »

Ain't it pwetty? I'll get a new one soon, though, as this one has been bought out of need and has some flaws.
Those are some nice slippers.
[5th] alax has changed their name to I give up fuck this.
Blaze has a small peepee, but atleast he doesn't ban me like a manchild

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 30, 2016, 07:04:15 pm »
God, that canteen was farb. I even used the farb excuses to legitimize its purchase. I have improved my ways, I can assure you.

I never even used those slippers and I have no idea where they are now.

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #51 on: September 30, 2016, 07:30:27 pm »
Maybe during the later half of that campaign, but regulations were regulations and they were enforced rather strictly.

I understand you are making a joke Ted, but excusus like 'what about 1812' or 'it's logical that they had it' are too often heard in re-enactment. I know we will never be able to fully research what these men did and did not wear, but a little more effort would sometimes be appropiate.

Sure. And it's a common historical mistake Ted to think that 1812 ruined the military regulations... Don't forget a lot of french Corps were not in Russia and even had brand new uniforms with the Bardin regulation reform, precisely in 1812.

About the french supplier on civilian waistcoast, this one maybe ? http://fr.empirecostume.com/costumes-civils-c144.htm
I bought this one last year when I was a bandit in the Saint-Amans reenactement ( http://fr.empirecostume.com/gilet-en-coton-c144-a1090.htm)

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: October 01, 2016, 08:29:43 am »

Sure. And it's a common historical mistake Ted to think that 1812 ruined the military regulations... Don't forget a lot of french Corps were not in Russia and even had brand new uniforms with the Bardin regulation reform, precisely in 1812.

About the french supplier on civilian waistcoast, this one maybe ? http://fr.empirecostume.com/costumes-civils-c144.htm
I bought this one last year when I was a bandit in the Saint-Amans reenactement ( http://fr.empirecostume.com/gilet-en-coton-c144-a1090.htm)

I feel the need to point out that my comment was ironically pointing at all these people who ignore regulations for reasons like "Well there was a time when noone cared about regulations in 1812....".
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: October 01, 2016, 10:45:22 am »
me left mein canteen in gun safe with musket and now it icky :'( ... (Also always keep the wooden canteens with atleast a little bit of water in them!!!)

These are made locally out here, and as I use it for two different impressions I leave it unmarked. (NSW Corps, 42nd) ...needs a repaint and a clean....its been colonially modified lol

Cant be bothered trying to find my WW2 canteen..and tbh my French one resembles Olafs one too much :') ...scrub scrub
« Last Edit: October 03, 2016, 10:32:24 am by zac »

Offline Wolff

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: October 02, 2016, 08:17:53 pm »
the waistcoat wasn't part of the uniform. But it was neither forbidden to wear waistcoats. There are no information about what the soldiers wore under their uniform in our bataillon. It is likely that the men got the white campjackets but we don't know the colour of the facings if they even had that jackets. So some guys of us got that camp jackets by themselves from a sutler in england with green facings wich might be correct. But the I think the cut isn't correct so I won't buy one and first get a waistcoat

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #55 on: October 09, 2016, 07:41:13 pm »
I feel the need to point out that my comment was ironically pointing at all these people who ignore regulations for reasons like "Well there was a time when noone cared about regulations in 1812....".

A lot of that arguement from reenactors also tends to come from ignorance. Whenever we can't find the actual regulations text and orders or only part of it, we tend to go with the 'oh they probably weren't very strict' arguement automatically to justify us possibly doing it wrong.

Without going into details, an example of this is my own unit. There are no drawings of our actual uniforms and equipment and only some vague descriptions. Because of this, there's still debate whether our bicornes were worn sideways or fore-and-aft. And automatically, if you don't have any source (or vague ones) on what it is, you tend to say 'oh, but regulations and uniformity weren't that strict' as a sort of way to justify that you might be doing it wrong.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #56 on: October 09, 2016, 10:04:13 pm »

Then why not base it on a time where you actually have proper references for? Like ya know, this drawing. Which is great.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #57 on: October 10, 2016, 04:59:18 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

The 1810 impression is something that we have recently decided to do on the side as well. But to truly answer your question: going for the 1797 uniform was a decision made more than 10 years ago by people of who 90% of em are no longer doing reenactment. At this point, we are too comitted to it. And I'll also clarify, it's not that we know nothing about the 1797 uniform. We have complete written descriptions of the uniform, just not any visual impressions.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: October 10, 2016, 05:32:51 pm »
It's not an 1810 impression though. The Marines-batallions were formed in 1806 'To last until the end of the campaign' and were the third batallions of the 2nd, 3rd, 7th and 8th Regiment. They were probably sent home in 1807 or 1808 because the 7th and 8th regiment, are given as only consisting of two batallions in early 1809.

That's not to say that the marines didn't exist anymore in 1810, but why call them 1810? Why not call them 1806-10, or 1807? To me, it feels like this entire '1810' impression was made solely to legitimize the incoorperation of the Marines into the Re-enactment Bylandt Brigade - which, either way, doesn't make a lot of sense from a historic perspective and seems entirely driven by re-enactment politics and the wishes of a few people. Historical arguments take the backseat, only used when it favours those wishes and ignored when it doesn't.

I should probably give myself a punishment for off-topic posting by now. Hell, if you showed this to any Dutch re-enactor that knows me he would probably respond 'oh well, Casper be bitching again', which is undoubtly true, but I'm not just bitching for the bitching. There's just a lot of bullshit in re-enactment that everybody seems to know of yet refuses to publically acknowledge. Anyway, time to make a new thread for generic Re-enactment discussion.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2016, 05:40:45 pm by Duuring »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: October 11, 2016, 09:14:16 am »
Its ok Duuring <3 haha...kinda what you do :P (Taleworlds... ;) )