Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 234132 times)

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #1875 on: July 05, 2017, 09:28:41 pm »
I literally emptied 15 liters of boiling water in the barrel today, it should be 100% gunpowder free now...

Jesus. How filthy was that thing that you needed 15 liters? I use like 2 liters max whenever I clean at home and you know me, I'm a complete freak when it comes to my gun being clean.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1876 on: July 05, 2017, 09:58:13 pm »
Water will barely solve the gunpowder, as it is mostly an oil-like substance. Using slightly acidious solutions will work.

Piss supposedly works fine, but you can try other stuff as well.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #1877 on: July 05, 2017, 10:21:48 pm »
Hot water works fairly well, it removes all the big residue. A liter of water or less usually works fine if you want it to work. I dropped 15 liters in there because I am at home, have a couple of kettles, and because I could.

Originally they would have cleaned their guns with water. Regulation states that soldiers are not allowed to take the guns apart, unless they are a trained gunsmith. After 50 shots, they would put boiling water down the barrel.

Thats all it says.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1878 on: July 05, 2017, 10:40:51 pm »
I guess we could try boiling the water up to boiling point instead of just making it hot.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1879 on: July 05, 2017, 10:45:06 pm »
Aye. That's what I do at home. At reenactments we somehow never have the patience for it.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1880 on: July 06, 2017, 03:36:31 am »
Lol..the key to cleaning them is to clean them as soon as possible after action. We down here usually spend 20-30 minutes after a battle cleaning/boiling water as a unit. When cleaning don't merely pour it down but hand over touch-hole, hand on end of barrel and swish it around...we do it 2-3 times, then pour one last round of boiling water down, dry the lock and oil it and walla...all new. Though most of us use Pedersoli and the Indian models don't clean as easily

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1881 on: July 06, 2017, 09:48:42 am »
We need a set of protective gloves for that.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1882 on: July 06, 2017, 10:31:59 am »
Not really, that's how we usually do it too. Put water in, let it drizzle through the touch hole until it comes out clean, then pour a bit more, shake it, twist it over and let the water go out the muzzle.
It does not really matter when you clean your barrel from it either, if you have boiling water it should get rid of the remains. I usually clean it the next morning, it works just fine, I never had a musket misfire because there was shit left in the barrel.

The biggest problem is, that you can not pour it alone. You need at least 2 guys. We have no tea/coffee boiler, only a large kettle we can boil water in. The kettle does not have a handle or a nice funnel where the water comes out. It makes it difficult to pour water into the barrel without burning yourself.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 10:35:46 am by Olafson »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1883 on: July 06, 2017, 10:33:23 am »
Yeah, but if you do that with water that has just reached boiling point, I'm not touching that barrel.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1884 on: July 06, 2017, 10:36:17 am »
That is why god invented the handkerchief.

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #1885 on: July 06, 2017, 11:53:14 am »
I guess it was alright. Nothing special or anything.

We will be at LBE, but Marc asked us to go Landwehr instead of French. Reason for that is quite simple... First of all, the French have one permanent camp with farb things like tents etc, while the Coalition does not, and 2nd of all there are far to few Coalition troops this time.

So yeh, we will be there as Landwehr, trying to do our best to drive the French back to Paris. Which will be difficult, considering that we are like 6 guys, while most french groups will be much larger... And as you know, engagement rules say that the smaller unit has to retreat. But I guess in the end it is better for us, at least we have someone to fight against.

Not all of us are coming though, my brother and some other guys do not have the time :/

Nice to hear.
We have the same problem in early August at the Saint-Bernard reenactement : 47 french vs 9 austro-piemontais... But when you read some memories at the time, in a good ambush position it was manageable to win the confrontation with far less men. However as you said, it's not quite possible with our reenactement rules, even if we did it a bit last year (4 vs 25 at Saint Amans)

About farbism in the french camp, I know right. It's difficult to gather a large number of troops and have a "Living History" camp. Even if Marc would love that I'm sure. Too many people are attached to their tables and chairs.... and too many people are old and need a tent and a sleeping bag. I could understand in Jena but here during the summer....

Anyway I'm glad you will be there, who knows, a rogue royalist voltigeur could join up your ranks ;)

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1886 on: July 06, 2017, 12:57:23 pm »
pfff you don't need gloves dear Duuring, you haven't gone soft have ye :P ...you just kinda play hot potato with the musket as the barrel boils over xD , and as Olaf said a rag is your best friend.

We always have large Billycan's for Tea (STRAYA) but yeah....would love to see someone bring a tea/coffee boiler...would be hilarious

We usually have a plastic funnel to hand as it makes it easier too..farb but tbh if no public around don't care
« Last Edit: July 06, 2017, 01:04:56 pm by zac »

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #1887 on: July 06, 2017, 01:27:06 pm »
I usually use my bonnet to grab the barrel if it's too hot. Or I leave the barrel attached to the stock and hold it by using the leather sling.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1888 on: July 06, 2017, 02:16:13 pm »
Yep it's all possible.

But difficult without a funnel and with a large kettle full with water. Buuuuuut we done it before, it works so yeh.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1889 on: July 06, 2017, 03:16:21 pm »
I too use my bonnet (Though in ACW the hard-top forage cap does not nearly lend itself as much as the loose wollen bonnet) but it's not uncommon to get some water over your hands anyway. That's no problem if it's just hot, but I would like to be extra careful if we boil it.