Author Topic: Recap  (Read 5702 times)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Recap
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2017, 01:49:14 am »
They already tried to make Warband into an esport and I don't think it worked out that well?

- More incentives for competitive play, sure. Would prolong the game maybe bring some oldies back.
But actually becoming a big esport? Doubt it.

Toxicity has lots to do with it, or rather how it is dealt with. Taleworlds has a very strict forum policy, and active / involved moderators. The more important part is within the game though, every single tournament there has actual enforced rules and is handled much more professionally. Meanwhile look into any NW tournament hosted within the past couple of months / years and see people trolling their asses off with no regard to admins oftentimes, not to mention the chat which is always full of spam and toxicity. People here just don't seem to give a damn.

Fwuffy has a very good point. I believe that the majority of NW players (especially in the competetive line infantry side) mostly troll and don't really care to be serious anymore unfortunately, but I think Ledger also made a good point in this regard where he said that considering the community is so small, everyone practically knows eachother to some degree, so there's no incentive for some people not to stay serious. I personally don't think that any money incentive is required in order to stay non-"toxic", but hey, everyone's different.

Very few people gives a fuck about what's being said in global chat tbh.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2017, 01:56:11 am by Furrnox »

Offline Kore

• The Sideblock King
  • Major General
  • Best Czech player on the Moon. uaa
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oubliette*******
« Reply #31 on: December 10, 2017, 02:37:14 am »
What do you mean it didn't work out well?
One of the best side blockers in the game. Often reffered as 'the Sideblock King'.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • Eternally incorrect, centre-left, asshole.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 10, 2017, 04:18:31 am »
Nobody really cared about it.

Offline Salakien

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Execute order 66 .
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Doublebread´s husband basically.
« Reply #33 on: December 10, 2017, 04:46:10 am »
imo tons of my NW friends were watching the bucharest stream and were hoping something like this happ in NW

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
  • Side: Union
« Reply #34 on: December 10, 2017, 10:37:13 pm »
imo tons of my NW friends were watching the bucharest stream and were hoping something like this happ in NW
Explain?

They already tried to make Warband into an esport and I don't think it worked out that well?

- More incentives for competitive play, sure. Would prolong the game maybe bring some oldies back.
But actually becoming a big esport? Doubt it.

Toxicity has lots to do with it, or rather how it is dealt with. Taleworlds has a very strict forum policy, and active / involved moderators. The more important part is within the game though, every single tournament there has actual enforced rules and is handled much more professionally. Meanwhile look into any NW tournament hosted within the past couple of months / years and see people trolling their asses off with no regard to admins oftentimes, not to mention the chat which is always full of spam and toxicity. People here just don't seem to give a damn.

Fwuffy has a very good point. I believe that the majority of NW players (especially in the competetive line infantry side) mostly troll and don't really care to be serious anymore unfortunately, but I think Ledger also made a good point in this regard where he said that considering the community is so small, everyone practically knows eachother to some degree, so there's no incentive for some people not to stay serious. I personally don't think that any money incentive is required in order to stay non-"toxic", but hey, everyone's different.

Very few people gives a fuck about what's being said in global chat tbh.
Elaborate?

Spoiler
I have spent the 6 years I've played this game in the cavalry community. It's a smaller, very different community from the 'infantry', more global community of the game. We've always kind of been seen as the serious guys, even though we had our fair share of toxicity, I don't recall it was ever as high as the rest of the community. Fewer people so fewer idiots probably.

I have been hosting events for the cavalry community for nearly 4 years (since March 2014), back then it always brought a ton of new people nobody knew shit about to the game, they would join the competition, and it would most likely always lead them to cavalry regiments (or the other way around, joining a reg first then participating in tournaments).

It's been different for one and a half year or so. Now there are little if no new players at all, but a very solid core of mostly non-toxic players. A couple of hundreds perhaps, but active, involved, skilled and competitive. It took a few years to form up, but now I'd say it really is the large majority of cavalry players on NW.

I'm currently hosting the Cavalry Nations Cup, it's an international cav competition with country teams instead of regiments. We gathered 10 teams of about 20 players each. Out of 20, maybe 2 or 3 are NW-infantry or Native players, so that's about 180 NW active cavalry players, just for that sole competition (you can add at least another hundred if you take the players who don't partake).

My point is: After 6 years of existence, the game has fewer people playing it than a few years before, but it has a stable and consistent core and community that plays it regularly. Many other games that have been out for 6 years are either dead or in the same situation. I honestly wouldn't say it's that bad.

Taking a CS:GO turn a few years ago and bringing the game to E-Sports would have probably made a lot more people playing it, and competition much more thrilling, but it would have been a lot more toxic as well. Things like that go together.

Hope my input was helpful, the cavalry community is as I said smaller than the infantry one but I don't think both communities are this different at the end of the day.
[close]
Thanks for the insight. I believe you're right in general.

I find that a combination of toxicity and lack of update is playing a role in this supposed "decline" in players.

In the end toxicity can only be fixed by you guys. Moderators are there, but the users (you) are the ones that make the community, not the developers ;)
The first modder for NW.

Offline Samu

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DNK
« Reply #35 on: December 15, 2017, 09:12:56 pm »
I feel that there is a small influx of new players, some of the guys i've bought into the 5th are new to the community
I would rather recruit a new guy rather than someone already here on NW.