Author Topic: The test server for the latest server side patch.  (Read 4672 times)

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
The test server for the latest server side patch.
« on: August 24, 2017, 12:25:17 pm »
There will be a test server up for people to try out the new changes.    I will put a list of things to be test with possible known bugs. 

If you test them out and find a bug related to the latest changes, use the format below and report it here unless you don't want everyone to know about it.  If you find a bug that is unrelated, post here.  https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=36936.0

Special Thanks to Grozni for helping with the commander battle files!

There are some things i can't test myself.  So i will need your help. If you test something out and it works, let me know in this thread.  I don't want to assume something works and leave it in, just to find out it was broken. i will eventually  release the files before the patch is final so people can test them on their servers, should they want to.   A few people and 1 server wont be enough to test everything.   especially on the variety of servers and game modes this game has. 

The server is called Ze_Test_patch   PW is A   it is under tdm currently  you can make it so servers start from z rather than a, making it easier to find.    Let me know if there are any server settings you would like changed to make it better for testing.

the ban list will not be carried over from NA1.   

I don't feel like writing up a bunch of rules, so i will just make a simple one.   avoid being assholes to other people.  if you want to use someone to test something, ask.  should the server crash, send me a PM rather than post here, so i can notice it sooner. 

format for reporting bugs related to the fixes we did.  the more info the better,  what were you doing, where, etc,.

Spoiler
what were you testing?:(make sure it is related to a fix we made)
are you able to recreate this bug with ease?:
how do you recreate this bug?:(if this is something you don't want the public to know about send me a PM)
[close]

list of fixes to test. this is not a final list. this is a WIP, and "hot code" so be prepared for things to not work. 

Spoiler
bugs and suggestions

Infinitely digging an earth wall.  --  shouldn't be able to build dirt into the sky anymore.   

french light officer should now be an officer. the flag bearer should now only be the flag bearer, rather than both..   -  should receive an accuracy buff now?  cant test this myself.  do you still get the buff, even if it doesn't show on the top right?  is it client side?

Double flag server crash   -  from what i seen, it doesn't crash the server.  feel free to test,

spyglass animation without a spyglass  -  cant test this as i dont have the stuff to do this.

Stacking planks into the sky. -- should be able to build on stuff, just no plank towers like you use to.  from what i seen so far, it works.

the no banner issue.    i don't know how to make it so i don't have a banner, if you know how, send me a pm.   everyone should have a banner now, if this worked.  this may not be fixable server side.(so would require a  client side fix)

healing a player should heal their horse.

you should see a message when you join the server.

officers should yell less frequently.  -- at least 5 seconds between yells if memory serves

infinite arty ammo fixed

Should be a limit to how quickly people can spam props.  you can till put them down quickly, but not 100 in a second.

equipment should be server side now, so no more having people spawn with the same items as partisani.(well, unless they are really lucky).  This should also fix the issue of naked sappers, and other stuff.

some work has been done to cani.   It now shoots out of the howi the same way its explosive does with regards to its angle.  while it may be tweaked some more, its on the server for testing. the cannons cani should shoot a little higher as well.

Lots of minor changes in the code regarding valid props.   which means testing that cannons limber, unlimber, and still work.  boats will need to be tested as well.

Non arty should no longer be able to unlimber arty from horses.

pirate arty can now ride arty horses, but requires a client side change.

cannons should reset properly now between rounds.

music now ends when the map changes.(including pianos)

sp crate should be fixed, but ill test that later.

swievel cannons now stay in the same spot between rounds

dummies now reset their position

intentionally removed the loop regarding sapper stuff and cannons.  the sapper stuff should take 1 cannon ball and stop said ball.

when boats reset on the map from either the map being reset, round ending, or when they reset on their own mid round, they should regain their full HP again.   this should mean boats like the schooner are no longer one shot able later in the round.

frigate colmesh changed so you dont get stuck as much and can use stairs.

a wall that had a broken colmesh should no longer be selected when its previous version is damaged.  another wall will be used instead.

i changed a lot of the trees and their meshes.  from what i seen so far, they work.  hopefully it wont lead to too many issues in terms of clients and server disagreeing when walking next to a tree.

units should spawn with the appropriate musicians and flags, if applicable.(some units do not have musicians or flags)

class limits should work, meaning no more having everyone be cav.  pirates and sailors are limited by the sapper %

musicians should play music.  normally this will be something like 55 seconds long, but for now, this will be 15 seconds.   musicians should NOT be playing the assemble the men, or other "commands".  some factions only have 2 songs on things like horns, and drums for highlanders.  others have 3 for their horns and 5 songs for their flute and drums.  the flute and drums should be playing the same song together.   units with horns only have that unit, so they have no one to play together with.   i am letting the piper play any of its 11 songs. 
BALANCE

captains of the marines had less health,  -- should be the same as everyone else now

dragoons are now faster on foot

Sailor armor decrease to regular infantry levels.

prussian HC now have their missing armor. 

british bayos are the same length as the rest
see below

french light cav swords are now the same as other light cav swords.

birch log now crushes through up blocks more often. 

standardize the length of HC swords so they are the same.

prussian hats now have the same armor as others, rather than double.

HC horses have 10 more hit points than before.

pistols have been changed again.  their speed was changed back but the damage is still lower.  will need to be tested

prussian cuir should now have the same 1 hand prof as other have cav, now that they have the same armor.

Heavy cav horses now have 2 more maneuverability and med horses +1.  light cav horses have stayed the same.

update to how cani works on the howi.  it shoots based on the angle of the barrel, like the explosive shot.(so aim the barrel straight, but not too low or high to hit^^

cannon cani shoots higher.

bayonet range changed to 136 for all bayonets.

colmesh for troops changed.  see the post on page 2
[close]

known issues.

Spoiler
i am currently working on the infinite arty ammo.   so you may see some changes.  its not finished. 

earthworks, if blown up, may be set to a certain health that allows them, when fully built up again to its max health, above the height it was before.   but you will not be able to get it to go higher than that by digging and undigging.  using explosives or cannons to achieve a possibly higher height is time consuming, and a waste of BP, so this isn't an issue really.  and an admin in a server or event would see this, as it would be really obvious. 

there has been an issue in the past where if you aim too low, or too close to an object(and maybe ground), the cani wont actually spawn.   I am trying to minimize when that happens, but its still a WIP.    ideally, on your average random map, this wont be an issue.   I am hoping it is something that is fixable, but it may be some engine issue.

known issue with rockets.  rockets wont show on the tripod, but they still work. should be fixed

a known issue is that once the boat resets mid round, it wont die from cannon fire until after someone has taken control of the ship.   this is a minor issue. the only time boat HP should matter is when the boats are being used for attacking a fort and things like that.(grenades can still sink them from what i seen)

one minor bug is that the music doesnt end if you change to a different game mode but the same map.  it keeps playing from the same space where the musician was.   this is minor.  i haven't had much luck fixing it, and as this is such a minor issue that wont come up normally during play, i will ignore it for now.    the fix for when you play music and the map changes is still in.
[close]
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 02:14:24 am by Thunderstormer »
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Eternal

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
Re: The test server for the latest server side patch.
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 01:42:31 pm »
Did the server name change to ze_server_patch ?

While at it, it seems like earth works and planks work fine now.
Perhaps planks get too stacked and close to each other, but better than floating ones.
Officer shouts are indeed 5 seconds.

Lovely! Could be the wrong fake server tho.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 02:05:26 pm by Eternal »

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 01:51:33 pm »
nope.  looking on the server, the logs, and in game, its the same name.  why do you ask?
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

Offline Eternal

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 01:54:14 pm »
nope.  looking on the server, the logs, and in game, its the same name.  why do you ask?

I saw Ze_Test_patch in the server browser instead of ze_test_server. I cannot find ze_test_server.
Welcome message says "Welcome to the Official US server", redirecting to fsegames for server rules.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2017, 01:58:09 pm by Eternal »

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 02:15:30 pm »

I saw Ze_Test_patch in the server browser instead of ze_test_server. I cannot find ze_test_server.
Welcome message says "Welcome to the Official US server", redirecting to fsegames for server rules.
ah, yes,  i have been changing out some files which included the config file. 

was looking for this name that you gave

ze_server_patch

and seeing if the actual name was changed to that. 

updated the OP to the correct name. 

Offline Savolainen5

• First Lieutenant
  • Official Server Admin and Language Nerd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: _1stRddt_E77_Savs
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2017, 10:42:40 pm »
I've just tested some things.

Fixed issues:

Sailor armour now normal
Heal heals horse
Maybe fixed (I never knew how to do the dispersed plank towers) - Stacking planks

Not fixed issues:

• British bayonets are still longer than others
  • French light inf officer doesn't give bonuses
  • Birch log crushes through blocks more often

Bug report with birch log crushing:
Up attacks ALWAYS crush through blocks. Tested against musket only, though.
Wanna know what a wug is? Read here!

Juice_Kelly: no one wants to be savs, he's the biggest firegiant on the server.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 01:34:34 am »
I've just tested some things.

Fixed issues:

Sailor armour now normal
Heal heals horse
Maybe fixed (I never knew how to do the dispersed plank towers) - Stacking planks

Not fixed issues:

• British bayonets are still longer than others
  • French light inf officer doesn't give bonuses
  • Birch log crushes through blocks more often

Bug report with birch log crushing:
Up attacks ALWAYS crush through blocks. Tested against musket only, though.
Thanks!
british bayonet is the same length in the files.  it was shorter before.(136 length)

Spoiler
["french_versailles_melee", "Infantry Musket", [("french_versailles",0)], itp_cant_use_on_horseback|itp_has_upper_stab|itp_type_polearm |itp_primary|itp_is_pike|itp_no_blur,itc_spear|itcf_carry_crossbow_back,
180 , weight(0)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(85) | weapon_length(138)|swing_damage(40 ,  pierce) | thrust_damage(45 ,  pierce),imodbits_none ],

["french_charleville_melee", "Infantry Musket", [("french_charleville",0)], itp_cant_use_on_horseback|itp_has_upper_stab|itp_type_polearm |itp_primary|itp_is_pike|itp_no_blur,itc_spear|itcf_carry_crossbow_back,
180 , weight(0)|difficulty(0)|spd_rtng(85) | weapon_length(138)|swing_damage(40 ,  pierce) | thrust_damage(45 ,  pierce),imodbits_none ],

["british_brown_bess_melee", "Infantry Musket", [("brown_bess_musket",0)], itp_cant_use_on_horseback|itp_has_upper_stab|itp_type_polearm |itp_primary|itp_is_pike|itp_no_blur,itc_spear|itcf_carry_crossbow_back,

["russian_musket_1808_melee", "Infantry Musket", [("Russian_musket_1808",0)], itp_cant_use_on_horseback|itp_has_upper_stab|itp_type_polearm |itp_primary|itp_is_pike|itp_no_blur,itc_spear|itcf_carry_crossbow_back,

["austrian_musket_melee", "Infantry Musket", [("austrian_musket",0)], itp_cant_use_on_horseback|itp_has_upper_stab|itp_type_polearm |itp_primary|itp_is_pike|itp_no_blur,itc_spear|itcf_carry_crossbow_back,

["prussian_potsdam_melee", "Infantry Musket", [("potsdam_musket",0)], itp_cant_use_on_horseback|itp_has_upper_stab|itp_type_polearm |itp_primary|itp_is_pike|itp_no_blur,itc_spear|itcf_carry_crossbow_back,

[close]

birch does crush through most of the time on up attacks. not guaranteed from what i seen on NA1, where that change has been in place for a long time.   Which is fine i think.  It is a really slow attack,and you cant cancel it thanks to it being a unwieldy weapon.(cant really feint with it either.)   I don't think i have ever seen it crush through side blocks which is fine with me.

as for the french officer, i get this feeling it might be a client side fix.  i will try my new files out later i am not busy and see if the french officer gives me a buff.  it could be possible it is giving the buff server side, but you don't see it.    there really isn't a good way to test it. 

Offline Risk_

• Major General
  • chris knight
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2017, 07:35:14 am »
the "no banner" I am not really sure about. I know sometimes pubs that come on NAGF don't have one and we will kick them or whatever so they go select one. I believe they select the "use nation's banner" option when making a character and plus the custom scripts of the server it shows up as them having no banner. Again, not entirely sure about this but people have come on NAGF with no banner before.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 10:52:09 am »
the "no banner" I am not really sure about. I know sometimes pubs that come on NAGF don't have one and we will kick them or whatever so they go select one. I believe they select the "use nation's banner" option when making a character and plus the custom scripts of the server it shows up as them having no banner. Again, not entirely sure about this but people have come on NAGF with no banner before.
it happens on every server, vanilla or otherwise.    the issue lies with having a banner greater than 92 i believe.   i made a character, with no banner.(that i could see)  when i got on with the new files client side, it was white and transparent.(na1)   i tried my fix, and idk if it worked or not.   with the current client, i ended up having a teal banner(from what i was told on the test server)   

what i really need is someone with no banner, period.  either how to guarantee i dont get one so i can test, or someone that already has a character with none to check.  it is easier for me to have no banner, as then i can do tests more quickly without bothering people/

of course, this may be a client side fix, so changing it server side wouldn't do anything.  the other possibility is that i just didn't fix it, and need to work on it some more.  but i wont know, unless it can be tested.  i may just take the "fix" out in the final version, if i don't know if it works.  the last thing i want to do is break the servers.(haven't had any issues on my end with stability, but to play it safe)

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2017, 11:37:55 am »
Thanks!
british bayonet is the same length in the files.  it was shorter before.(136 length)

Wait what, do UK have shorter ones by default in the vanilla servers?

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2017, 11:54:43 am »
Thanks!

Wait what, do UK have shorter ones by default in the vanilla servers?
Yep.  using the source files that i got from the latest NW patch. It was 2 shorter, which while small, is still something.  french light cav swords were longer as well.

Offline Lilja Mariasdóttir

• Colonel
  • Ist ein Schaf in einer Tasse
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2017, 12:02:34 pm »
To the bannerthing I have an amusing story.
In nordinvasion we had a bug, that when someone had an unvalid banner, everyone got an error message. So I went to the files and added a short line, that when someone has a non valid banner, a standardbanner is used. Later I thought, hmm, how did fse solve it? I checked it and then discovered they also added a line, that when someone has a non valid banner, he gets assigned ... no banner at all^^

So, just add a short line, that when someone has a non valid banner, he gets assigned his nations banner.

People get a non valid banner, when they use a profile they created on another mod (with different or more meshes), or manipulate their saved profiles on purpose. However, they get already an error when starting the game, so I doubt, that anyone is a victim of having no banner, more likely they are trolls, having no banner on purpose.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2017, 12:06:40 pm by Kanade Tachibana »
Seehofer schafft das Heer ab.

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 12:25:04 pm »
To the bannerthing I have an amusing story.
In nordinvasion we had a bug, that when someone had an unvalid banner, everyone got an error message. So I went to the files and added a short line, that when someone has a non valid banner, a standardbanner is used. Later I thought, hmm, how did fse solve it? I checked it and then discovered they also added a line, that when someone has a non valid banner, he gets assigned ... no banner at all^^

So, just add a short line, that when someone has a non valid banner, he gets assigned his nations banner.

People get a non valid banner, when they use a profile they created on another mod (with different or more meshes), or manipulate their saved profiles on purpose. However, they get already an error when starting the game, so I doubt, that anyone is a victim of having no banner, more likely they are trolls, having no banner on purpose.
Yea, that was what prompted me to want to fix it.  Many years ago we had several people come on with no banner, which then lead to people teamkilling them.  That was back when it was fairly new, and we didn't have a policy on it.  Since then we ask people to change their banners, and if necessary, kick them from the server.  It just causes too much trouble.  Especially when its a group doing it just to cause trouble.    I would imagine this is similar to what a lot of other servers do.  At the very least, i would like to stop one less way of people trolling, and one less headache for admins.  ^^

i will go back and reread the code, and see if i misread a part of it.   

Offline Edwin

• First Lieutenant
  • I killed Toffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 12:35:17 pm »
Yep.  using the source files that i got from the latest NW patch. It was 2 shorter, which while small, is still something.  french light cav swords were longer as well.

Indeed I was aware of the sword lengths but had no idea about a difference in bayonet lengths. Nice find

Offline Savolainen5

• First Lieutenant
  • Official Server Admin and Language Nerd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: _1stRddt_E77_Savs
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2017, 03:54:32 pm »
Thanks!

Weird, it definitely felt a bit longer than the Russian one, and I was being fairly rigorous in my testing. Oh well, at least it's not shorter, and it's now a pretty small difference.

birch does crush through most of the time on up attacks. not guaranteed from what i seen on NA1, where that change has been in place for a long time.   Which is fine i think.  It is a really slow attack,and you cant cancel it thanks to it being a unwieldy weapon.(cant really feint with it either.)   I don't think i have ever seen it crush through side blocks which is fine with me.

Yeah, I agree. In the hands of someone who's quite good at melee, it could be really strong, but it comes so rarely that it's probably not a big deal. And yeah, it never does, to my testing. Probably hit three or four dozen times with no crush on both side attacks.
Wanna know what a wug is? Read here!

Juice_Kelly: no one wants to be savs, he's the biggest firegiant on the server.