Poll

What direction is Brexit going?

Hard Brexit in March 2019
12 (31.6%)
Soft Brexit in March 2019
7 (18.4%)
2nd referendum: Leave wins
0 (0%)
2nd Referendum: Remain wins (Brexit postponed?)
7 (18.4%)
Brexit postphoned until at least 2020
5 (13.2%)
Britain just never really leaves the EU
2 (5.3%)
Britain asks for postponing Brexit, gets refused: All ties to EU severed in March 2019
5 (13.2%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)  (Read 53195 times)

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • 9e is great mah dudes. #Trust
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 9e_Adj_Furrnox
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: The General Political Thread - Brexit poll (#FSEXIT)
« Reply #2280 on: January 13, 2018, 02:51:51 am »
Those who think he did: anonymous aides, Dick Durbin (D)
Those who think he didn’t: three Republican lawmakers
Hyperpartisanship, everybody! Making truth what your side wants it to be

I don't care for the wording of what he said.
The context is what is interesting, limiting immigration for all lower income countries seem to me like it would kill the idea of the American dream.
It doesn't seem like it's an idea Americans are that interested in maintaining anymore though anyways.

Seems like you're oblivious to the state of US politics.
Because a Swede knows better, and a Swede with a history of anti-Americanism to begin with. You're doing great, sweetie.
There is obviously a question of how much money influences policy, but it's more complicated than declaring a republican democracy as an oligarchy because your views make that a reality.

Aren't you Canadian? Just because I'm a Swede I can't give my opinion like Americans give their opinion on the EU constantly?
Anyhow sure the US is a democracy in theory but rich people do finance politicians campaigns and control all mainstream media. So if the US is a democracy in reality is a though question to answer.

I'm split on what I think of the US I defiantly prefer the US over Russia or China so should Sweden ever choose to join Nato I would support it.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 02:56:09 am by Furrnox »

Offline StevenChilton

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: January 13, 2018, 03:58:46 am »
Tbh the US is still more democratic than Sweden, which is barely a democracy.

Offline Toffee Lad

• King in the North
  • Donator
  • Ex 77y Pfc, 93rd Private and 18e Grenadier
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2282 on: January 13, 2018, 04:17:04 am »
US politics is a tough one, to me it seems ludicrous that companies basically buy votes from people and it's all perfectly legal but it's in the constitution I suppose so there you go.

It's difficult to gage if Trump's actually said what he's accused of, there's no real way to prove either way. However, if he did indeed make that remark then that's extremely worrying that a man like that is the most powerful in the world.
The best support player since Fifflaren, Jeremy Corbyn suckup and Gordo's Favourite Shill.

Offline Furrnox

• Lieutenant General
  • 9e is great mah dudes. #Trust
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 9e_Adj_Furrnox
« Reply #2283 on: January 13, 2018, 06:32:04 am »
Please do explain your reasoning behind that statement.

Offline StevenChilton

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: January 13, 2018, 03:50:45 pm »
Please do explain your reasoning behind that statement.

Sure-how many EU Commissioners could you vote for? Is there a mechanism for you as a voter to remove them from office if you don't like what they're doing?

Offline Duuring

• Head Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2285 on: January 13, 2018, 05:50:57 pm »
Sure-how many British ministers could you vote for? Is there a mechanism for you as a voter to remove them from office if you don't like what they're doing?
Problems, grievances or questions about Forum Administration or wish to appeal a punishment? Feel free to send me a PM or add me on Steam.

Offline Theodin

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 71st Guard MEME POLICE
« Reply #2286 on: January 13, 2018, 06:19:43 pm »
Sure-how many British ministers could you vote for? Is there a mechanism for you as a voter to remove them from office if you don't like what they're doing?
Yes, ministers are also MPs and are elected on at every general election, if the Brits still use the Westminster model

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  2x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place

Offline Duuring

• Head Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2287 on: January 13, 2018, 06:34:33 pm »
They're elected them as MP, a legislative function. They receive no mandate for a executive position as minister they are appointed to, apart from the fake majority their party gets.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 06:36:08 pm by Duuring »
Problems, grievances or questions about Forum Administration or wish to appeal a punishment? Feel free to send me a PM or add me on Steam.

Offline Theodin

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: January 13, 2018, 06:47:53 pm »
They're elected them as MP, a legislative function. They receive no mandate for a executive position as minister they are appointed to, apart from the fake majority their party gets.
Except the sovereign has the power to appoint ministers under the system, not the party, that’s where the legitimacy of the ministers comes from. It’s the Queens mandate through the Cabinet

1x NA Duel- Runner up |  2x 3v3- 3rd place (Seadderol Deflatriots) (Ez Money) | 1x Duel League- 4th place | 1x Regimental Groupfighting- 1st place (71st)  l  1x 2v2- 3rd Place (Vortex/Theodin) | TNWL Season 2 - 1st Place l 1x 2v2- 1st Place (Theodin/Elite) l 2x NANWL-
 71st, Nr8(LG) l 1x 4v4- 1st Place (RussianFury, Waste, NickCole, Theodin) l 1x Cav Joust- 2nd Place

Offline StevenChilton

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: January 13, 2018, 06:53:30 pm »
Silly argument Duuring, as Theodin pointed out they're elected MPs. They also sit as Ministers because they have the support of Parliament to do so. A number of EU Commissioners have never actually been elected to anything in their lives. Anyway answer the question-do you think the EU is democratic?

Offline Theodin

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: January 13, 2018, 07:38:12 pm »
UK’s system isn’t even power to the people, the whole point is the Queen has the power and the people chose the people who get the power. It’s the ideal system because you have a continuous legitimate power source and fairly decentralized structure.
What does the EU have like that 

Offline StevenChilton

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: January 13, 2018, 08:02:01 pm »
Technically speaking the Queen is the representative of the people's sovereignty (Goes all the way back to Magna Carta, but particularly with 1689 Claim of Right, etc) so it is in fact power to the people. She's a constitutional monarch and if she breaks that pact she automatically abdicates the crown.

Offline Theodin

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: January 13, 2018, 08:10:13 pm »
Technically speaking the Queen is the representative of the people's sovereignty (Goes all the way back to Magna Carta, but particularly with 1689 Claim of Right, etc) so it is in fact power to the people. She's a constitutional monarch and if she breaks that pact she automatically abdicates the crown.
That’s fair. The Canadian constitution was written with that whole “power to the people” in mind - trying to avoid that. Our founders worried about the reliability of a US type constitution so took power away from the people and placed it in the institution

Offline Gordo

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: January 14, 2018, 11:56:34 am »
https://www.nederlandseleeuw.nl

See you there, Riddlez!

Offline StevenChilton

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: January 14, 2018, 02:49:23 pm »
https://www.nederlandseleeuw.nl

See you there, Riddlez!

Lol if that event is in English...