Author Topic: Improve Bracing  (Read 8880 times)

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
Improve Bracing
« on: December 19, 2013, 05:44:47 pm »
Title says it all, improve the range of bracing so that it will outreach a sword. Personally I think this will make fighting prepared infantry harder for cavalry; however, I think maybe a counter balance to make cavalry fighting unprepared infantry might help as well.

Thoughts?
Pointy stick champion

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Improve Bracing
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2013, 05:50:24 pm »
How would it make it easier for prepared infantry?
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2013, 05:55:53 pm »
Infantry who have time to get in a formation, and to crouch and brace would have an advantage because of the extended reach of the braced bayonet, and would be able to keep them away, or kill any cavalry that got too close.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2013, 05:59:11 pm »
I agree, it would make regiments that know anti-cav drills make a better use of them.

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2013, 06:00:57 pm »
I'm all for this.

Offline Dan the Seagull Chef

• Commander in Chief
  • I use a pinch of Jesus in every dish.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [Chef]Dan_the_Chef
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2013, 06:04:05 pm »
Is the bracing going to stop the ability of cav to jump into the middle of the square? Such as is there going to be increased range to a unbraced bayonet?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:05:53 pm by Dan the Chef »
Wanna help the Wiki, join the Discord! Here are also the FSE Thread and Taleworlds Thread.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2013, 06:40:36 pm »
Is the bracing going to stop the ability of cav to jump into the middle of the square? Such as is there going to be increased range to a unbraced bayonet?

Preferably a braced bayonet would make a horse rear up instead of jumping, idunno, it seems a little silly to me that horses would jump into a mass of men pointing shiny sharp objects at them.

The range of the bayonet would not be increased for melee attacks, only for when the infantryman has braced his bayonet. The point is that if the infantry are prepared to face cavalry, they have an advantage; if the infantry are caught in the open, I believe that the cav deserve the advantage that they currently have over infantry.
Pointy stick champion

Offline HandOfGod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2013, 06:53:42 pm »
I like that idea, i believe it would be a significant improvement, while still remaining fair. Cav wouldn't need a counterbuff either. They still are deadly in surprise attacks - see Polska Charge Dec 17,2013.

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2013, 07:20:20 pm »
Dam it

And does bracing have anything to so with Horse Bumps?

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2013, 07:32:30 pm »

Preferably a braced bayonet would make a horse rear up instead of jumping, idunno, it seems a little silly to me that horses would jump into a mass of men pointing shiny sharp objects at them.

The whole idea of a cavalry square is based off animal psychology, that any sane horse will not charge or jump into a line of pointy bayonets. The only time I've heard of somebody training horses just to not care, essentially, was Suvorov's Russians.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2013, 07:57:21 pm »
I think there should be a button that made you brace with your weapon, how it is in NW, is by far not ideal:

It takes a long time to brace it,
once you move, it unbraces (or something), and then it takes a long time again to brace it.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline HandOfGod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2013, 08:02:12 pm »
Dam it

And does bracing have anything to so with Horse Bumps?

Bracing is when an infintry soldier is crouched and in melee mode. After a few seconds of staying still you will brace your bayonet. If a horse runs straight into you, the horse will die. Thats it. If you move too much too fast you will break it. So no, it has little to nothing to deal with horse bumps(unless you attack head on) As it is right now, you can easily jump a braced bayonet and bump everyone behind and beside him, stopping their attempt at a anticav formation.

I'd like to see added ranged for the braced bayonet only as far as it would stop/kill a horse trying to jump head on overtop of you.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 09:55:14 pm by HandOfGod »

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2013, 08:34:33 pm »
Yeah I have seen players do it sometimes. I don't know why you'd do it since I'd think that a stab has a greater reach, at least to my knowledge, is it a 1 hit kill too right?

Offline Becker-

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • "The Gang joins the Army"
  • Nick: Bring back the 54th.
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2013, 08:53:08 pm »
Yeah, its not really the fact that bracing is underpowered its more of the fact that if you even flinch and move your mouse the braces is nulled and wont work. My solution to this is to maybe make a button lock for bracing.

But think about it, lancers could get around this so it isnt completely overpowered.

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dionysus
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2013, 09:46:42 pm »
I don't know why you'd do it since I'd think that a stab has a greater reach

This.