Author Topic: Building Threads: The Complete Guide (Finally Finished!)  (Read 4231 times)

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
  • Side: Union
Building Threads: The Complete Guide (Finally Finished!)
« on: October 17, 2014, 11:47:40 pm »
Building Threads: The Complete Guide

Hello, my name is DoctorWarband, and this is my full guide of thread making.

Stage one: Creating graphics (aka, header, pictures for a table, ect)

My personal advice, make it fancy. Download Photoshop. Take gold textures from online\make them yourself, with special fonts, design yourself a nice header with a fitting background picture. You can find anything online these days. Then, find 2-3 images that fit your thread, add them depth and color (in Photoshop) and insert them in a table. I will explain how to do that in the next parts. Of course, you need to have a basic understanding of Photoshop to do so. An example of header with special fonts can be found on here, on my inactive thread workshop.
Ready to move on to the next stage? Good. If you want actual Photoshop lessons, go study here, I am not your fking teacher at the community college of Uganda.

Stage Two: Organizing Your History With Your Designed Photos

First of all, I will start with you on the basics of tables. A table is a feature in BB Coding that is meant to organize things in straight columns and lines. For example: a photo and text. Now, how do we use the damn table? It is quite simple, actually. Here's how a table looks in a code.

Code
[table]
[tr]
[td][/td]
[/tr]
[/table]

The 'td' tag represents what column it will be. The more 'td' tags, the more columns it will have. Or, if you want, a position of a picture in relation to a text. so how do you work with that? Simple. Here's an example thread I took.
Spoiler
The Royal Scots Greys originated as three troops of dragoons. The first two were formed on 21 May 1678 under the commands of Captain John Strachan and Captain John Inglis. The third, under the command of Captain Viscount Kingstoun, was formed on 23 September 1678. These were the first mounted troops raised for the British crown in Scotland. Inglis, Stachan and Kingstoun's troops would spend their early years suppressing prohibited Presbyterian assemblies in Scotland.

In 1681, by Royal Warrant, these three troops were combined, with the addition of three further troops, into what would be named the Royal Regiment of Scots Dragoons. Lieutenant-General Thomas Dalziel would be the regiment's first colonel. In its original configuration, the Scots Greys were configured as a true dragoon regiment. Although mounted, as cavalry regiments were, their armament was closer to that carried by infantry units. Troopers of the Scots Greys were authorized, during the late 17th century, to carry matchlock muskets with bayonets, while their sergeants and corporals carried halberds and pistols. Only the officers were authorized swords, though the lieutenants were to be armed with a partisan. Interestingly, the original uniform called for the troopers to wear grey coats, but there is no record that the regimental mounts had to be of any particular colour.

Code: Code of the table
[table]
[tr]
[td][size=14pt][font=georgia]The Royal Scots Greys originated as three troops of dragoons. The first two were formed on 21 May 1678 under the commands of Captain John Strachan and Captain John Inglis. The third, under the command of Captain Viscount Kingstoun, was formed on 23 September 1678. These were the first mounted troops raised for the British crown in Scotland. Inglis, Stachan and Kingstoun's troops would spend their early years suppressing prohibited Presbyterian assemblies in Scotland.
[/font][/size]
[hr]
[size=14pt][font=georgia]
In 1681, by Royal Warrant, these three troops were combined, with the addition of three further troops, into what would be named the Royal Regiment of Scots Dragoons. Lieutenant-General Thomas Dalziel would be the regiment's first colonel. In its original configuration, the Scots Greys were configured as a true dragoon regiment. Although mounted, as cavalry regiments were, their armament was closer to that carried by infantry units. Troopers of the Scots Greys were authorized, during the late 17th century, to carry matchlock muskets with bayonets, while their sergeants and corporals carried halberds and pistols. Only the officers were authorized swords, though the lieutenants were to be armed with a partisan. Interestingly, the original uniform called for the troopers to wear grey coats, but there is no record that the regimental mounts had to be of any particular colour.
[/font][/size][/td]
[td][img]https://i.imgur.com/IoaLbnQ.jpg[/img][/td]
[/tr][/table]
[close]
Let's work with the code a bit, shall we? As you can see at the beginning of the code, the first 'td' tag hold a paragraph of text, in this case, 14pt size, font Georgia. Remember, if you want to make a text in a special font and size, you must add it in between the tags, right where bracket of the font name ends! Now, you see the paragraph. But it is a wall of text! What do you do? Simple. You just add a divider, or, a horizontal ruler. But where? Right in between the two codes on the two text paragraphs you want to divide. After you add the text, you feel it is a bit empty. Because it is, isn't it? All you have to do, is add a picture fitting the size of the paragraph, see it sits well. How? You add another 'td' tag, and in it, your desired photo. Of course you need to add the 'img' tag, and in between the brackets add the link to the photo. If it doesn't fit, play with the sizes in Photoshop a bit, to see the pixel ratio, and by the pixel ratio just change the photo values by adding inside the 'img' tag the following thing:
Code
[img width=pixel value height=pixel value][/img]

If it does not work, just change between the width and height positions in the code, and add the values in the fitting places.If you want to make your history look really good, just do the same kind of table, but instead switch between the placement of the and the text, like such:
Spoiler
The Royal Scots Greys originated as three troops of dragoons. The first two were formed on 21 May 1678 under the commands of Captain John Strachan and Captain John Inglis. The third, under the command of Captain Viscount Kingstoun, was formed on 23 September 1678. These were the first mounted troops raised for the British crown in Scotland. Inglis, Stachan and Kingstoun's troops would spend their early years suppressing prohibited Presbyterian assemblies in Scotland.

Between its formation in 1681 and 1685, the Scots Greys were employed primarily in keeping civil order in Scotland. The regiment participated in expeditions against various fractious clans which resisted the monarch's rule. In 1688, the regiment was quartered in London at the start of the Glorious Revolution. Upon the landing of William of Orange, the regiment took the side of William and Mary, being taken on into the new king's army. Ordered back to Scotland, the Scots Greys took part in the Battle of Killiecrankie against the Jacobites. For their service, the regiment's title as a Royal regiment was confirmed and they were ranked as the 4th Dragoons.

Prior to 1693, there is no record that the regiment used grey horses exclusive to others. However, when inspected in London in 1693 by King William III, people took note that the regiment was mounted on all grey horses. Some have offered the theory that the grey horses originated with the Dutch Horse Guards. When they left to return to the Netherlands, the horses were turned over to the Scots Greys. Although there is no definite reason, some of the men also wore either fur caps or broad-brimmed hats. By the time of their royal inspection, uniforms of the regiment had also changed. Gone were the dull grey coats they had initially worn, replaced with the red, or scarlet, coats with blue facings proclaiming the Scots Greys "Royal" status. After this first showing of an all grey horsed regiment, the regiment became increasingly known as the "Grey Dragoons" or the "Scots Regiment of Grey Dragoons".

Code
[table]
[tr]
[td][size=14pt][font=georgia]The Royal Scots Greys originated as three troops of dragoons. The first two were formed on 21 May 1678 under the commands of Captain John Strachan and Captain John Inglis. The third, under the command of Captain Viscount Kingstoun, was formed on 23 September 1678. These were the first mounted troops raised for the British crown in Scotland. Inglis, Stachan and Kingstoun's troops would spend their early years suppressing prohibited Presbyterian assemblies in Scotland.
[/font][/size]
[hr]
[size=14pt][font=georgia]
[/font][/size][/td]
[td][img]https://i.imgur.com/IoaLbnQ.jpg[/img][/td]
[/tr][/table]
[hr]
[hr]
[table][tr][td][img]https://i.imgur.com/tHcZhiZ.jpg[/img][/td]
[td][size=14pt][font=georgia]Between its formation in 1681 and 1685, the Scots Greys were employed primarily in keeping civil order in Scotland. The regiment participated in expeditions against various fractious clans which resisted the monarch's rule. In 1688, the regiment was quartered in London at the start of the Glorious Revolution. Upon the landing of William of Orange, the regiment took the side of William and Mary, being taken on into the new king's army. Ordered back to Scotland, the Scots Greys took part in the Battle of Killiecrankie against the Jacobites. For their service, the regiment's title as a Royal regiment was confirmed and they were ranked as the 4th Dragoons.[/font][/size]
[hr]
[size=14pt][font=georgia]Prior to 1693, there is no record that the regiment used grey horses exclusive to others. However, when inspected in London in 1693 by King William III, people took note that the regiment was mounted on all grey horses. Some have offered the theory that the grey horses originated with the Dutch Horse Guards. When they left to return to the Netherlands, the horses were turned over to the Scots Greys. Although there is no definite reason, some of the men also wore either fur caps or broad-brimmed hats. By the time of their royal inspection, uniforms of the regiment had also changed. Gone were the dull grey coats they had initially worn, replaced with the red, or scarlet, coats with blue facings proclaiming the Scots Greys "Royal" status. After this first showing of an all grey horsed regiment, the regiment became increasingly known as the "Grey Dragoons" or the "Scots Regiment of Grey Dragoons".[/font][/size][/td][/tr][/table]
[hr]
[hr]
[center][img]http://i1277.photobucket.com/albums/y486/dcwarrior32/ranksgrey_zps2a75e92b.png[/img][/center]
[hr]
[hr]
[close]

Stage 3: Organizing Ranks and Roster in a Table

It took me a long time, but here is the third and last part of our guide! Now, how do you do Ranks and Roster? Here's an example:
Spoiler
Captain

Add here

Lieutenant

Add here

Corporal of Horse

Add here

Trooper

Add here

Code
[center][table]
[tr]
[td][center][size=18pt][font=georgia]Captain[/font][/size]
[hr]
[/center]
Add here[/td]
[td]                                [/td]
[td][center][size=18pt][font=georgia]Lieutenant[/font][/size][/center]
[hr]
Add here

[/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][/td]
[td][img]https://i.imgur.com/tQSgQXA.png[/img][/td]

[/tr]
[tr]
[td][center][size=18pt][font=georgia]Corporal of Horse[/font][/size]
[hr]
[/center]
Add here[/td]
[td]                                [/td]
[td][center][size=18pt][font=georgia]Trooper[/font][/size][/center]
[hr]Add here[/td]
[/tr]
[/table][/center]
[hr]
[hr]
[close]

This is a rather simple one. See those heads for each rank? Each one is done in the following matter:

Code
[td][center][size=18pt][font=georgia]Trooper[/font][/size][/center]
[hr]Add here[/td]
As you can see, I inserted the Trooper rank in between design tags (AKA font and size), which is inside a 'td' tag. Also, inside the 'td' tag I put the 'hr' code, hence creating the short divider. Right after the horizontal ruler, I added where the list of troops shall go for each rank and there I finished with it. Adding pictures is just another thing in making it pretty. As you can see in the code, the image is inserted between the officers and the regulars to divide them. It was my mistake, but it became pretty good after he added the list of troops. That is it! This guide is finally finished. Photoshop tutorials will be added if you guys find this useful and want some techniques of how to do styles and ect.   

Hope it was helpful!
Signed,
DoctorWarband
« Last Edit: February 28, 2015, 05:00:04 pm by DoctorWarband »
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline Jishnu

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • All Praise Lord GabeN!!!
  • Nick: Lord Commander Jish
Re: Building Threads: The Complete Guide.
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2014, 11:54:49 pm »
This will be very helpful for people. Nice work!

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2014, 11:58:10 pm »
Nice to see someone make a better guide to tables, maybe now volunteers will look here for help.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 12:52:39 am »
This will be very helpful for people. Nice work!

Nice to see someone make a better guide to tables, maybe now volunteers will look here for help.
Happy I could help. :)

AeroNinja

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 10:00:15 pm »
Nice!

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2014, 10:02:23 pm »

Offline Alexander

• Colonel
  • https://twitter.com/6motm
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2014, 10:08:41 pm »
Looks great  ;)
Former leader of NA's - 5th, 75th 
Former Lt of the 54th
Former CSjt of 71st
https://twitter.com/6motm
https://www.twitch.tv/motm

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2014, 10:10:09 pm »
Looks great  ;)
Hope you found it useful ;)

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 02:41:55 am »
Noice, ty for compiling this :) I was thinking of designing a new thread for the NRP server, this was quite helpful indeed

By
Spoiler
tw, does Uganda even have community colleges?
[close]
<3

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2014, 11:52:44 am »
Noice, ty for compiling this :) I was thinking of designing a new thread for the NRP server, this was quite helpful indeed

By
Spoiler
tw, does Uganda even have community colleges?
[close]
Haha I don't think they do. :P happy it helped!

Offline lindblom

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Lindblom
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2014, 02:28:44 pm »
Good guide for beginners I guess. Bulletin Board Code is more or less a simplified variant of HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language = skeleton of website). The tags in bbcode starts with [] and ends with [/], it is very easy. The table formatting is what I like the least with BBCODE. Every row you make needs to start with [tr = "table row"] just like in HTML. To add one column you need to define it by using [td = Table Data]. This is really what I hate the most about BBCode, there is no options for advanced formatting. In languages such as HTML, CSS you can define spacing between table data. In BBCode however there are no options for this. You can neither decide the exact size of your table data as the first sentence you type inside the [table data] will define the size of the table data and other td listed below.

Code
[b][/b] = Makes your text bold.
[i][/i] = Italicized Text
[u][/u] = Underlined Text
[s][/s] = Strikethrough text.
[font=arial][/font] = Choose your font.
[size=10pt][/size] = Choose the font-size
You can make your text aligned to the left, center and to the right. simply just embed it in to the tags. Eg. [right]Hello World![/right]
You can enable more colors than one for your text by using glow effect. To make an shadow for your text simply add [shadow].
[spoiler][/spoiler] adds a completly new spoiler.
Images are added using [img=<URL>][/img] same goes for adding links and adding stuff in general. Unlike html you do not need to define links by using "".

Good tutorial though, I am sure it will help people who are new to the forum code. I'd say though that BBCode is so simple that anyone can learn it within 10-15 min, not only can you write it by hand but you do also have the options available above the text input.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2014, 02:43:46 pm by lindblom »

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2014, 04:31:24 pm »
Good guide for beginners I guess. Bulletin Board Code is more or less a simplified variant of HTML (Hyper Text Markup Language = skeleton of website). The tags in bbcode starts with [] and ends with [/], it is very easy. The table formatting is what I like the least with BBCODE. Every row you make needs to start with [tr = "table row"] just like in HTML. To add one column you need to define it by using [td = Table Data]. This is really what I hate the most about BBCode, there is no options for advanced formatting. In languages such as HTML, CSS you can define spacing between table data. In BBCode however there are no options for this. You can neither decide the exact size of your table data as the first sentence you type inside the [table data] will define the size of the table data and other td listed below.

Code
[b][/b] = Makes your text bold.
[i][/i] = Italicized Text
[u][/u] = Underlined Text
[s][/s] = Strikethrough text.
[font=arial][/font] = Choose your font.
[size=10pt][/size] = Choose the font-size
You can make your text aligned to the left, center and to the right. simply just embed it in to the tags. Eg. [right]Hello World![/right]
You can enable more colors than one for your text by using glow effect. To make an shadow for your text simply add [shadow].
[spoiler][/spoiler] adds a completly new spoiler.
Images are added using [img=<URL>][/img] same goes for adding links and adding stuff in general. Unlike html you do not need to define links by using "".

Good tutorial though, I am sure it will help people who are new to the forum code. I'd say though that BBCode is so simple that anyone can learn it within 10-15 min, not only can you write it by hand but you do also have the options available above the text input.
Correct, although most people don't learn BB Code completely,
because of laziness or whatever. For me it took some time to learn that, too, just because of laziness.
Now people have a guide that explains everything in a simple way, and they can learn from that a lot easier. :)
Thanks for the compliment. :D

Offline Wastee

• Colonel
  • Nr8[LG]Kpt_Wastee
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Steam: [LG] Wastee
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2014, 05:22:42 am »
Maybe I can actually make a nice thread now! Thanks

"I may never make a list, and I may never make the hall of fame, but by God, I made the competitive mailing list" - Undisclosed Gamer

Offline Rutger Müller

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Ryu? | Fancy?? | Rutger???
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 12:44:46 am »
2ndRSG Lyfe

Offline Adams

• Private
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Adams
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2014, 07:53:48 pm »
Helpful thread, thanks. ;)