Author Topic: Reenactment Videos  (Read 58036 times)

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
Re: Reenactment Videos
« Reply #480 on: June 25, 2017, 10:53:11 pm »
Lol some of you Continentals sometimes have sticks so far up your own arses. Dirty stitch nazis  :D

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #481 on: June 26, 2017, 09:46:16 am »
The packs you had at loevestein weren't even 10 kilo's... more like 8..

Yeah so? As I said, they won't be able to hold more than 10-15 kilo depending on the pack. And they really do not have to. There isn't that much stuff you have to carry with you.

A blanket, a spare shirt, spare socks, brush, whip, cleaning kit, sewing kit, washing kit, fire starter kit, spare gaiters, food, greatcoat, distribution straw sack, a pot or pan to cook from.
I don't think that this could add up to much more than 10 kilos, if it even reaches that. It depends on the greatcoat and the blanket, as different materials can easily add to the weight significantly. Cheap cotton is always thinner and lighter than expensive wool. It's probably already the maximum you can put inside these packs anyways. But it will fill them up to the rim, so it definitely won't look retarded, like an empty backpack does...
Now ofc if you add another 3-4 kilos of weight to your pack because you feel like you have to carry beer in glass bottles with you, then you are easily going to exceed that weight limit. Especially with the bad paki packs in civil war, that have this extremely stiff leather they are going to rip your arms off (IF the cloth of the pack doesn't rip before that... :P)

There is a common problem in reenactment though. You barely spend more than 2 full days at an event. Why would you bring 4 days worth of food (Which is what they would have gotten) if you only stay for 2 days? :P
Additionally, there is always stuff that you do not own yet and are simply missing.
In walldürn, the event we were talking about with the glass bottles, we actually had food for 3 days, because we spend 3 days there. It was great seeing the bread bags stuffed to the rim with food.

The ENITRE weight of the ENTIRE kit of a Napoleonic soldier, that includes the gun and what he is wearing on himself plus an empty canteen, usually does not exceed 20 kilograms. The gun itself already weights 4.5 kilos, so you are left with 15kgs to divide between backpack, cartridge box, and clothes.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:01:15 am by Olafson »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: June 26, 2017, 09:54:47 am »
Ah yes, I found the list of weights in the french army, for different soldiers. It does however, assume that your canteen is filled and that you still have all the issue gear + 4 days worth of bread.

Voltigeur cornetist 19.9kg
Voltigeur officer 23.9kg
Voltigeur 23.96kg
Fusilier 24.1kg
Fusilier corporal, 25.7kg
Fusilier drummer 26.2kg
Grenadier 27.35kg
Fusilier sergeant 27kg
Grenadier drummer 27.7kg
Grenadier sergeant 29.31kg
Sapper 32.975kg

This is interesting actually, thank you for this Riddlez. I am going to try some stuff out.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 10:45:18 am by Olafson »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: June 26, 2017, 10:06:47 am »
Lol some of you Continentals sometimes have sticks so far up your own arses. Dirty stitch nazis  :D

I don't know. The 45e could change their appearance so easily. Get rid of the campaign gear, only wear the parade gear, get rid of the bread bags and blankets on top of the backpack, add a greatcoat to the top of the pack, fill your pack with something.

If they do that, they would already look really good.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #484 on: June 26, 2017, 01:30:13 pm »

See, the only thing they have to change is stop wearing or start wearing an item they already have. They don't have to buy or make anything, they just have to make an effort. But apparantly that makes us 'stitch nazi's'.

You also should have a spare set of shoes/soles with you, probably.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: June 26, 2017, 01:40:31 pm »
Yes, you are supposed to carry a pair of spare shoes, but fuck me they are so expensive, before I am going to get a pair of spare shoes, I will get proper greatcoats for everyone, and then all the parade gear that I am missing (Because on any parade we have to take part in, we go in campaign gear... Which is silly, but I have no parade gear at the moment)

And then after that I need to update all the loaner gear, because most of it is crap quality, and I am also missing all kinds of stuff for the loaners. For example pretty much everything that goes inside the backpack I only have for myself. I wish I could get that same stuff for everyone, so we all carry the same stuff, but meh. Moneeeeeeey.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 01:44:29 pm by Olafson »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: June 26, 2017, 01:48:45 pm »
Finish BCoF?

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: June 26, 2017, 01:52:06 pm »
Aye

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #488 on: June 26, 2017, 05:01:03 pm »
The work of a reenactor is never done. There is always something to improve or to buy next. Perhaps that is part of why this hobby is such great fun: there's stuff to do and improve.

Take a look at me for example. I mean compare this with this. There's some minor things that need to improve.

First of all, we've been talking about maybe getting those pompous, oversized feather plumes for our shakos. I am not sure if they were only used on parade or used during campaigns and battles as well. At the very least, we know they had them so there's that. Then there's the red sword knots, which I always believed to be only worn by NCO's but apparantly every marine had them around their sabre. Finally some new model waistcoats and trousers. Our trousers are pretty wide, which is fine for 1790's with gaiters underneath them, but a complete disaster for 1806 with gaiters on top of em. I am convinced we need something more narrow and smooth. Same goes for waistcoats. Finally, I am still not convinced that marines carried their bayonets next to their sabers. I am pretty sure that they probably carried them on their cartidge box sling, like the French did. Though, that is gonna take some more research into that.

I also need some proper shoes, will get to that once I have some money to spend again. My greatcoat is finally done and I'll receive it this weekend at Wavre so that has pretty much emptied my budget for this year.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: June 26, 2017, 05:19:19 pm »
Did this museum seriously just repaint this ORIGINAL drawing of the Dutch Marines by Suhr? :P The original actually has more details too ? Or is it one of the 10 remaining original originals? That would be sweet...

Your trousers most likely were made out of tricot wool. Surprisingly a LOT of napoleonic gear was made out of tricot wool. It is a very stretchy, shiny material, it almost looks syntetic. The good thing about it is, that it can sit very tight on you, but because it stretches, it does not hinder your movement.

It is however, difficult to get nowadays and quite expensive.

I believe your impression is fairly close though to this drawing, so I think it's no biggie that the trousers are slightly to baggy. One thing to consider would be to get this fabulous pink waistcoat though. YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.

I am fairly sure btw. that they are not wearing gaiters, but cavalry boots without spurs. It was very common in the french navy/the navy's in general at the time. If you compare the drawing of these boots to the drawings of cavalry boots, you can see that they look exactly the same.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 05:31:28 pm by Olafson »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #490 on: June 26, 2017, 06:36:54 pm »
Ah yes, I found the list of weights in the french army, for different soldiers. It does however, assume that your canteen is filled and that you still have all the issue gear + 4 days worth of bread.

Voltigeur cornetist 19.9kg
Voltigeur officer 23.9kg
Voltigeur 23.96kg
Fusilier 24.1kg
Fusilier corporal, 25.7kg
Fusilier drummer 26.2kg
Grenadier 27.35kg
Fusilier sergeant 27kg
Grenadier drummer 27.7kg
Grenadier sergeant 29.31kg
Sapper 32.975kg

This is interesting actually, thank you for this Riddlez. I am going to try some stuff out.

Is this rifle and ammo included?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: June 26, 2017, 06:42:25 pm »
Yes, total equipment, with filled canteen. It does not include additional ammo or personal gear though.
Additional ammo would be a pack of 10 cartridges, and personal gear includes stuff for shaving and cleaning yourself. It shouln't add more than 1 kilo of weight though, at most.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 06:49:13 pm by Olafson »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #492 on: June 26, 2017, 06:43:59 pm »
That's... not an awful lot...
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: June 26, 2017, 06:51:01 pm »
The expected lifespan of uniforms and equipment is also interesting to read about:

Greatcoat 3 years
Jacket 2 years
drawers 1 year
musket 50 years
sabre 50 years
sappers apron 20 years
sappers axe 10 years
shako 4 years
bearskin 6 years
breeches 1 year
belts 20 years
cartridge pouch 20 years
coatee 2 years
coat 3 years
drum 20 years
fatigue cap 2 years

Which is interesting, because if you look at drawings of the 1813 german campaign, and see how wrecked they are (Sure they are most likely returning from russia, but that doesn't change the fact that they were supposed to stay good for up to 50 YEARS) you would think that the life expectancy of gear would be much lower...  Intersting to note is also, that on these drawings you can clearly see some equipment that was not issued before 1813. I.e. it is brand new. But either some of the equipment wore off VERY quickly, or the way to high life expectancy of the gear caused them not to issue new trousers of shoes, because in theory they should still be in good shape. Only new equipment was issued, equipment that did not see a change was not reissued, so soldiers were stuck with uniforms that had been worn for years.

That's... not an awful lot...

Aye.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2017, 07:03:35 pm by Olafson »

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #494 on: June 26, 2017, 07:09:30 pm »
One thing to consider would be to get this fabulous pink waistcoat though. YOU KNOW YOU WANT IT.

I always wondered if that thing was real, an accidental discolouring of the picture or just Suhr's own faboulous creation.

I am fairly sure btw. that they are not wearing gaiters, but cavalry boots without spurs. It was very common in the french navy/the navy's in general at the time. If you compare the drawing of these boots to the drawings of cavalry boots, you can see that they look exactly the same.

Oh, they most definitely are. Which always struck me as odd because I have heard from several people that boots give no solid footing on wet, slippery decks at all, compared to normal buckle shoes with nails. I'd attribute it to the fact the navy was insignificant and barely had any ships left after 1800, so marines were practically always on land but I'd be lynched by my own unit if I said that out loud.

It would probably be more accurate to wear boots, but also really expensive. I think gaiters are an acceptable alternative. Yeah I did just say that.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness