Author Topic: US Politics thread  (Read 61277 times)

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
Re: US Politics thread
« Reply #30 on: November 15, 2016, 05:31:32 pm »

So? That's sorta the nature of regions. They differ. You also differ from your neighbour, but you don't claim that you are entiteled to four times his voting power.

Your words betray your lack of knowledge of the history of the United States/States' rights.

The founders werent idiots, they aptly realized a federalist system was the best fit for the scope and diversity of the US and with their history with tyranny.

pictured: just "regions"

Why am I still here

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #31 on: November 15, 2016, 05:33:17 pm »

So? That's sorta the nature of regions. They differ. You also differ from your neighbour, but you don't claim that you are entiteled to four times his voting power.

Your words betray your lack of knowledge of the history of the United States/States' rights.

The founders werent idiots, they aptly realized a federalist system was the best fit for the scope and diversity of the US and with their history with tyranny.

apoc o no! You revealed trumpsbplan to the EUs!
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline junedragon

• Colonel
  • Nr2, 29th, PLG, 63e, Team Canada, 4eme
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2016, 05:34:35 pm »

not apoc u pl3b
Why am I still here

Offline BabyJesus

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 15, 2016, 05:36:19 pm »

not apoc u pl3b
fuk there's too many cats xD
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)

Offline Grantrithor

• Second Lieutenant
  • <><><><>
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #34 on: November 15, 2016, 07:20:12 pm »

If I knew he was going to terraform europe into the shape of America, I would've been supporting him from day one

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 15, 2016, 08:29:23 pm »
I never argued against a federal system, I argued against the election system of the federal government. You can have a federal system and still have proportional representation, like Germany, Brazil or Switzerland. You are strawmanning my argument.

The least they can do is give out Electoral Votes proportionally per state. I don't think a constitutional change is necessary for that and I don't see why anyone would argue against it. Trump would still have won, if that's what you're afraid of.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 08:31:49 pm by Duuring »

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #36 on: November 15, 2016, 08:33:53 pm »
Well talking about Germany it is currently possible for a small "parliament seating" misrepresentation. It has happened before. It is nothing major, but it does exist. I believe the current government is working on changing that though, so that in the future, we have a proper representation in the parliament.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2016, 08:35:10 pm »
Yes, you have a 5% electoral treshold, which I would also argue against. Still, that's better then a majority system.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2016, 08:42:13 pm »
I never argued against a federal system, I argued against the election system of the federal government. You can have a federal system and still have proportional representation, like Germany, Brazil or Switzerland. You are strawmanning my argument.

The least they can do is give out Electoral Votes proportionally per state. I don't think a constitutional change is necessary for that and I don't see why anyone would argue against it. Trump would still have won, if that's what you're afraid of.

It's up to the states to proportion their EC votes fairly, nobody's currently stopping them from doing it, and that's probably the best solution. The big stumbling block to that however is actually the Democratic party as they have a big inbuilt advantage under the Electoral College system. I can't see Democrats in New York or California allowing that to go through their state legislatures. For the same reason at a federal level they'd also try to block any popular vote system.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2016, 08:51:42 pm »
You do realize that the Republicans currently control 32 state legislatures, right?

Offline BabyJesus

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2016, 08:56:50 pm »
You do realize that the Republicans currently control 32 state legislatures, right?
and they still lost the popular vote

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2016, 09:15:13 pm »

But not in California or New York they don't. So why would Texas Republicans allow part of their state's EC votes to go Democrat if big Democratic states won't return the favour? That would just hand the Dems an even bigger EC advantage than they already have. I think this needs to be sorted out at a federal level, and if Trump had any sense he'd make it a priority and let the Democrats embarrass themselves by trying to oppose a fairer voting system. It would give him a legacy plus boost Republican electoral chances.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2016, 11:19:03 pm »
But trump just won due to that system, why would he try to change it?

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 15, 2016, 11:27:18 pm »
He would have still won if all states gave out their EC votes proportionally. And who knows if he would have lost on a popular vote contest-how many Republicans bother to turn out in safe states like California or New York? And like he said himself he would have spent more time campaigning in those places if the system was different. But I think he will change it if he has any sense-it would split the Democrats plus make it easier for Republicans to win in the Electoral College since the biggest states usually go blue.

Offline Grantrithor

• Second Lieutenant
  • <><><><>
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 15, 2016, 11:46:48 pm »
But trump just won due to that system, why would he try to change it?

because trump is a democrat