Author Topic: Shooting to kill  (Read 6887 times)

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
Shooting to kill
« on: July 26, 2016, 11:18:45 pm »

So I came across this video and I am most intrigued by this - being someone who is enrolling for a military career in September.
Now, the video explains a lot, but it leaves me with a question:

How was this in medieval combat, both for archers and hand-to-hand, as well as the slightly more anonymous mass killing in sieges.

Anyone has any idea or can make an educated guess?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Shooting to kill
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2016, 11:52:29 pm »
Oh nice I came across that video 2 days ago. I think the part about psychopaths was interesting.

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2016, 11:56:24 pm »
Well he addresses that to some extent in his other video, not exactly the same thing but he talks about ancient and medieval warfare.

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2016, 12:10:20 am »
We take a TAPS personality test along with another psych exam, and the conditions during basic and AIT training make it seem like you are in battle, with environmental physical and psychological elements being thrown at you. If you can't pass that then rip, although some do and later in combat obviously freeze. 

I think it may have been an issue during medieval times but honestly they were born knowing that was their way of life so did not feel as much sentimentality when it came to human life than current day soldiers do.  Unless you are IS I guess

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2016, 01:13:23 am »
Would guess myself that the defense mechanism and adrenaline kick in when in hand-to-hand combat: do or die things and stuff...

What are the TAPS tests you speak of? Are these during basic or AIT? Or the pre-selection tests?
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Karth

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2016, 03:32:54 am »
Would guess myself that the defense mechanism and adrenaline kick in when in hand-to-hand combat: do or die things and stuff...

What are the TAPS tests you speak of? Are these during basic or AIT? Or the pre-selection tests?
During pre-selection tests  (at what we call MEPS), administered again in a different format during basic AND AIT

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2016, 03:44:27 pm »
found riddlez

https://video-ams3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t42.1790-2/13859965_106225596486797_1991353462_n.mp4?efg=eyJybHIiOjM2NSwicmxhIjo1MTIsInZlbmNvZGVfdGFnIjoidjNfNDI2X2NyZl8yM19tYWluXzMuMF9zZCJ9&rl=365&vabr=203&oh=02584719be4cf4f8149386daec631690&oe=5798F0F6

It's this childish "Hey let's make a trolling post on this serious thread because I can'-behavior that I am growing very tired of. Stay in the Mess Hall if that's all what you are here for.

- Duuring
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:29:25 pm by Duuring »
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 03:50:34 pm »
Not American and not giving a shit

Offline Nipplestockings

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2016, 07:01:46 pm »
Seems accurate

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2016, 07:06:25 pm »
Hmmm, anti-Riddlez conspiracy. You guys flatter me.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2016, 10:15:22 pm »
That video was quite intriguing and really makes you wonder. I always remember that in the documentaries I would watch on WW2 there was one American soldier who slit a German's throat, puked afterwards and says that the guilt haunts him everyday because he saw the man's family in his wallet. War is a brutal thing and it's easy to see why only a small percentage truly wish to indulge in it or take someone's life. Hollywood has obviously never taken this account.
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2016, 10:26:57 pm »
That video was quite intriguing and really makes you wonder. I always remember that in the documentaries I would watch on WW2 there was one American soldier who slit a German's throat, puked afterwards and says that the guilt haunts him everyday because he saw the man's family in his wallet. War is a brutal thing and it's easy to see why only a small percentage truly wish to indulge in it or take someone's life. Hollywood has obviously never taken this account.

In some macabre way they have. All those enemies shooting and not killing the bad guy...

Offline Karth

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 10:55:55 pm »
Well some were nut cases like my grandfather, who had a racial hatred against the Japanese until he passed away.  Could have been ptsd but he was a nut who used to talk about killing them like it was funny.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2016, 11:03:34 pm »
I know people who expressed it was 'fun' being a soldier and 'shooting and killing for a bit'. Yeah, to an Afghanistan veteran.

There are always some people who are the moral exception to some of today's society's values. With all due respect towards your granfather, of course.

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2016, 11:04:33 pm »

In some macabre way they have. All those enemies shooting and not killing the bad guy...
Well when someone has "plot" Armour on them can be quite difficult  ;D
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]