Author Topic: The ask a Historical Question thread  (Read 45219 times)

Offline Sir-Legion

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 33rd_ExpertVet / 4e_Cvl_SirLegion
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The ask a Historical Question thread
« Reply #75 on: November 30, 2015, 10:36:40 am »
  Well this video was interesting:
Spoiler
[close]
  Back to the original question, I also seem to remember one set in the Peninsular war where a British officer was attached to some Spanish partisans who were trying to move a cannon to attack a French held fortress. I think it was made in the fifties although I cannot remember the name. I remember some of the scenes, for example them ambushing some French soldiers by a bridge, hiding the cannon in a religious procession and finally storming the fortress.
Lol who keeps himself busy with that stuff I ask myself then :p
“He who fears being conquered is sure of defeat.”
Napoleon Bonaparte

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #76 on: January 11, 2016, 08:33:19 pm »
Worst US president?
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #77 on: January 12, 2016, 02:33:05 pm »
Worst US president?
Oh dear, I think I just heard a can of worms opening! For the Democrats I would say James Buchanan (in office 1857-1861). He was President prior to the Civil War and didn't do very well in trying to sort the mess out that led to the conflict. True, it was a difficult situation, but nevertheless he has to take quite a bit of the blame. Personally I was never very keen on Woodrow Wilson and I am not really a fan of Obama.
  For the Republicans, modern day ones would be people like George Bush junior and Nixon but the one I personally would put down a bit would be Grant. He was a brilliant general in the Civil War (if somewhat wasteful with his men lives) but was not very successful as a President (or much else). He wasn't the worst but there were quite a few corruption scandals and not to mention an economic downturn (okay not entirely his fault but he wasn't much of an economist and his actions didn't really help matters).
  For the record I am an Englishman so I do not have a wealth of knowledge on the subject.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 03:11:05 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Salcos

• First Lieutenant
  • Deus Vult, Romans 12:11, Κύριε Ελέησον
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Salcos
« Reply #78 on: January 15, 2016, 07:19:55 am »
Worst President would have to go to Herbert Hoover, destroyed Usa from the inside for a period with his phony laws, and brought the rest of the world done with him due to his action.

If France won the Franco-Prussian War, could WW1 be prevented?
I hate it when people pass me a cup by holding on to the rim of it...

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 15, 2016, 04:16:03 pm »
Worst President would have to go to Herbert Hoover, destroyed Usa from the inside for a period with his phony laws, and brought the rest of the world done with him due to his action.

If France won the Franco-Prussian War, could WW1 be prevented?

Not really. It only gave allowed France to keep Alsace-Lorainne. Anyways, all of the alliances (Central Powers, Triple Entente) would still be formed and the same outcome would happen.

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #80 on: January 15, 2016, 04:25:14 pm »
Well the main reason France allied with Russia was because they were scared of Germany. It's hard to say if they would still ally if France won the war.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 04:29:14 pm by BabyJesus »
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: January 15, 2016, 05:04:21 pm »
  And I doubt that Germany would have united if they had lost the Franco-Prussian war (it may have politically united at a later date though, and the North German Confederation was pretty powerful on its own), although I don't think the French would have been able to win, at least not decisively given Napoleon III's leadership (he was effective at times, but he did not have the genius of Napoleon I). As Bismarck said when he visited France before the war 'I met two women when I went to France, the Empress and her husband' or words to that effect.
  People forget that Germany, Austria-Hungary and Russia formed the 'League of the Three Emperors' that only really broke down when Wilhelm II took the throne (It had technically gone a little bit before then but any hope of renewal was killed off when Bismarck was sacked) so an alliance with France was not assured, although Tsar Alexander III never really did like the Germans. The alliance system does get very confusing when Bismarck was involved (there was a pact between Germany, Italy and the UK and of course the triple alliance between Germany, Austria-Hungary and Italy). I am of the opinion that Bismarck created all these confusing alliances so that a war would not break out because no-one would have any idea what alliance they belonged to!
  The main way WW1 could have been prevented would be if the Russians had taken Plevna sooner in 1877-78, thus dealing with the 'Eastern Question' a bit sooner.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2016, 05:11:10 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 16, 2016, 12:17:56 pm »
Are there any websites for Denmark during the Napoleonic Wars?

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #83 on: February 16, 2016, 05:32:36 pm »
Are there any websites for Denmark during the Napoleonic Wars?
You can actually learn about Denmark by looking up stuff for Britain, ie their invasion.

Probably might want to start there, I doubt there are any"Denmark during the Napoleonic Wars" sites that offer every little important detail.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 16, 2016, 05:37:50 pm »
If you mean research into their uniforms then this site sells some plates:
https://www.brigade-uniform-tafeln.de/nationen/a-e/daenemark/
  If it is more about the history of Denmark in the wars then I am not too sure. There are a few bloggers who have done things on the Danes:
http://blundersonthedanube.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/danish-army-of-napoleonic-wars-part-1.html
http://madmonarchist.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/denmark-in-napoleonic-wars.html
  Remember as well that Denmark was in a personal union with Norway till the end of the war (Norway was then in a personal union with Sweden until the early 1900's). I don't know if the Norwegian troops were treated as a separate army or were lumped together with the Danes.
EDIT: Perry Miniatures are now doing a range of 28mm metals covering the Danes (and the Norwegians):
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/index.php?cPath=23_28_91
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 05:41:42 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 16, 2016, 06:03:20 pm »
Funny you should mention Perry's Miniatures, that's where I started to wonder about Denmark in the NW. I will surely look at some of those other links later, thank you! Btw, have you ever painted Perry's Miniatures?

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 16, 2016, 06:24:41 pm »
Many many hundreds, and many hundreds more lie in piles waiting. Here are some pictures of Sir Denis Pack of the 9th Brigade at Waterloo I did a while back:
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]

]

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 16, 2016, 06:32:36 pm »
Awesome! I've been considering to start some Red Lancers from Perry's Miniatuers but I don't know where to get the paint? I was wondering if you could help.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 16, 2016, 08:01:53 pm »
Quite a few hobby stores sell them. If not Vallejo do a range:
https://www.modelhobbies.co.uk/shop/vallejo-m-125.html?page=1&filter_id=51
  Games Workshop paints can be bough from them directly although it is cheaper to get them off the internet usually (eBay and Amazon are good). They are the two I use the most.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 08:07:50 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 16, 2016, 08:09:41 pm »
Damn, so you have to order the colours separately... no worries, thanks for the help!