Author Topic: JackieChan's Bayonet Melee Guide  (Read 10548 times)

JackieChan

JackieChan's Bayonet Melee Guide
« on: August 20, 2013, 05:41:58 am »
JackieChan's Bayonet Melee Guide

Introduction:

I felt like writing a melee guide featuring everything I could think of lately. I am certain I am missing loads of individual tricks or possibly even some basics, but this is still quite the elaborate melee guide as you can see by the length. Right below this Introduction is my list of contents. Though the amount may be discouraging, you can always check out points that interest you.

However it is easiest to learn things if you read through everything once, get a rough grasp and then train one point after the other beginning from the top. Plus, lots of the points sort of have information concerning later points and vice a versa, so in order to really understand you should read everything at least once before focusing on points.

I did structure it so that the most basic and important things come first and the difficulty level increases when going down.

Some names might sound weird to most of you. That would be due to the fact that I don't actually know many of the names and some things simply don't have official names, so I just made up names myself. I do explain them all though and the names themselves are normally self descriptive since I am not too creative as far as names go.

If you have anything you'd like me to add, feel free to comment or you can just comment in general. I am also open to questions of course and any suggestions are appreciated. There will never be a complete melee guide but I will try to keep mine alive and update it when I have time.

I can also add people I think are the masters of a respective category, naturally that would be EU only, since I do not know the NA community well. This would be so you could ask those players for help with a certain point, NOT FOR THE EGOS! I could add what is good against which type of player or how you can counter one of the points. Just tell me what you'd like to see.

Remember: This is only a guide, showing you most aspects of the melee, not telling you how you should fight. It gives you the possibilites to use anything but in the end you decide on what your style will be and what you think is the most effective.

There will also be some videos for this eventually which will be provided by IEC (William Jones), with the help of some friends of mine and also some old footage with me (I wanted to do this a while ago, so started back when I was EU :P). I will gradually post each link once they are done, but since I just finished this guide it will probably take a while.

Thanks also go to Evanovic who proofread for me and helped clarify unclarities.

I hope this is helpfull to most of you! :)

Sincerely, JackieChan

P.S. Grammar-Nazis fuck off! I am the German around here...

1. Dueling
1.1 Defensive
1.2 Offensive
1.3 Blocking
1.4 Attacking
1.4.1 Attack Priority
1.4.2 Damage Zones
1.4.3 Increasing Damage
1.5 Feinting
1.5.1 Fast
1.5.2 Slow
1.6 Holding
1.6.1 Normal
1.6.2 Sideswinging
1.6.3 Dolphin
1.7 Spamming
1.7.1 Sidestepspam
1.7.2 Rangespam (Backpedalspam)
1.7.3 Deliberate-Miss-Spam
1.7.4 Chamberspam
1.8 Chambering
1.8.1 Normal
1.8.2 Rechamber
1.8.3 Chamberhold
1.8.3.1 First-Chamber-Hold
1.8.3.2 Rechamber-Hold
1.8.4 Stunchamber
1.8.5 Feintchamber
1.8.6 Blockchamber
1.8.7 Chambering Holds
1.9 Kicking
1.9.1 Frontalkick
1.9.2 Sidekick
1.9.3 Blockkick
1.9.4 Riskkick
1.9.5 High-Ping-Blockkick
1.10 Stunning
1.11 General Movement
1.12 Analyze Opponents Patterns
2. Groupfighting
2.1 Normal Groupfighting
2.2 Outnumbering the Opponent
2.2.1 Aggressive
2.2.2 Cautious/"Assist-Giver"
2.3 Being Outnumbered
2.3.1 Backpedaling
2.3.2 Defensive Blocking
2.3.3 Aggressive Spamming/Spinning
2.3.4 Speed Combat
2.3.5 Long Holding
3. Tips/Tricks
3.1 Overhead Attack, Kick
3.2 Midhold-Kick and possible Chamber
3.3 Overhead-Stun, Quickstab Attack
3.4 Overhead-Hold, Downstabspam
3.5 Feinting while Dolphining
3.6 Exaggerated Holding
3.7 Blockdeception-Hold
3.8 Back/Side turned Stunchamber
3.9 Chamber Opponent 1 and move into Opponent 2
3.10 Walk into Opponent 1 and then catapult into Opponent 2
3.11 Kick after Chamber/Rechamber

Before you enter any melee engagement hit "X" which will turn on your melee mode. Your ammunition count in the bottom right corner will be gone indicating that you are now able to melee.

1. Dueling:

There are 2 different dueling styles, aggressive and defensive. Naturally you can mix these up but these are the general categories.

1.1 Offensive

Moving forward aggressively and getting in close with the enemy in order to kill him quickly by getting him nervous or confusing him. (Facehugging)

1.2 Defensive

Moving backwards, keeping the distance in order to minimize the chance of making mistakes and getting killed. Trying to take advantage of the opponents mistakes. (Backpedalling)

The mix of both styles is the best way to go. Sticking to only one will make you easy to understand and show more patterns.

1.3 Blocking

Right click and drag your mouse up or down against bayonets and against swords also to the sides. Bayonet combat is the topic of this guide so being able to block swords is irrelevant here. If your opponent attacks from above you naturally have to block up etc.

Block before turning if you are not confident with blocking yet. Pay exact attention to the animation of your opponent, if it's a overhead you will see the animation of him lifting his bayonet up, if it's a stab the animation will be a lot quicker and your opponent will sort of duck AND ALWAYS HOLD YOUR BLOCK UNTIL YOU ACTUALLY SEE OR HEAR THAT YOU BLOCKED!

Blocking is the first skill a new player should learn and more important than attacking, especially when fighting a more skilled opponent. It will wear out the opponent and make him more likely to get overconfident or fool hearty, allowing you to get in a lucky punch.

When in Groupfighting it is more important to stay alive and winning as a team, so blocking is ideal if you are in a bad position and need to hold out until support arrives.

Once you are confident with blocking you can start blocking while turning, though watch out not to sideblock!

As soon as you have mastered this you can start training your attacking skills.

1.4 Attacking

Left click and drag your mouse up or down for a stab or an overhead attack. Dragging slightly to the side is not as dangerous as it is when you block, since it will definitely let you attack up or down. However it does increase the chance of you getting the other attack than you wanted.

1.4.1 Attack Priority

When you block an attack, your opponent will be stunned and will need time to reload his next stab. This time window allows you to place an attack yourself. If you take too long to attack, your opponent will be able to get in another attack himself. A normal duel thus looks like this: P1 attack P2 blocks => P2 attacks P1 blocks and so on

1.4.2 Damage Zones

The most damage is dealt if you hit your opponent in the head and the dealt damage decreases the further down the body you hit him.

1.4.3 Increasing  Damage

You can increase the damage you deal by moving with the stab. So you move forward when you stab and it will increase the damage. If your opponent walks towards you it has the same effect. If both move forward and you stab him the damage dealt will be at the maximum.

1.5 Feinting

This is a tool used to switch your attack direction and/or force your opponent to change his block and possibly make a mistake.
You can repeat this as often as you want.

1.5.1 Fast

You hold your attack direction and then simply tap the right mouse button while still holding the left mouse button and dragging your mouse into the direction you want to switch your attack towards, it can be the same direction as you had before. The right mouse button (block) always overrules the left mouse button (attack), so you can always block even if you are holding an attack. This is also how you stop your attack from being released.

1.5.2 Slow

You hold your attack direction then release the left mouse button while directly tapping the right mouse button once and then hitting the left mouse button again right after, while also dragging your mouse into the direction you want your attack to come from.

You can make the pauses longer in order to make the feint slower, however the slower you make the feint, the more your block will actually come in place thus destroying the illusion of the feint.

1.6 Holding

1.6.1 Normal

You simply hold your left mouse button instead of just hitting it once. This will hold the stab in the attack position, letting you attack immediately when you release the left mouse button.

This is used either to avoid being chambered or taking advantage of people being used to attack priority. Once you play for a while you will become used to being able to attack within a certain timeframe of your opponents turn to attack. Your opponent sees you are getting ready to attack and is used to the attack coming right away. He then normally blocks it and then attacks himself. Instead of you attacking immediately, you actually hold your stab. Once a certain time is passed your opponent will have the reflex to think it is his turn to attack and will open his block in order to take his turn of attacking. This is when you release and catch him without a block.

Holding too long will actually let him stab you, since you are wide open and without a block. Holding too short will either let him block your stab or if he is lucky, he attacks the moment you released, allowing him to get a lucky chamber on you.

So memorize the time people usually take until they attack. After a while it will be like brushing your teeth, something you simply know and do (or maybe not judging by your ugly teeth).

1.6.2 Sideswinging

Here you hold your stab and simply move it left and right quickly or slowly, depending on what you prefer, or only left or only right. This will cause an illusion making your opponent more likely to open his block, because he thinks you missed or that he blocked and deflected your attack. Then you simply swing in your attack from one of the sides, which is also a quite damaging move if done correctly.
This is most effective if you are close and your bayonet actually is close to your opponent's while you hold.

1.6.3 Dolphin

You hold your attack, mostly the overhead and then instead of moving your mouse to the sides, you move it up and down, like a Dolphin diving in and out of the water, causing a similar illusion as the one above.

1.7 Spamming

Spamming is when you get in a second or more attacks after you already attacked. In order to spam you simply left click again, after you already attacked. The better you time your click the faster you will be able to stab again. Attack priority makes it hard but if the opponent is slow in attacking or holds a well timed spam can easily kill your opponent.

Though you can spam with an overhead, it is slower and thus the stab is more effective.

1.7.1 Sidestepspam

You spam while moving forward and to the left or right of your opponent, taking advantage of the short range you put between your spamstab and your opponent. Also he will have to turn quickly, making it likely he will miss you, since you might already be behind or next to him.

1.7.2 Rangespam (Backpedalspam)

After you stab, you immediately move backwards and place a second attack, taking advantage of the range. Often it will take the opponent's attack longer to cover the range than yours.

1.7.3 Deliberate-Miss-Spam

You attack next to your opponent missing him deliberately and then place a spamattack. This move allows you to avoid the stun you would receive by hitting your opponents block, thus you are a lot faster at reloading your attack and it makes it more likely you will get in a attack. Though attack priority still exists of course.

1.7.4 Chamberspam

This can be two things; either you spam an attack in order to chamber your opponent's attack, right after you had just attacked yourself OR once already engaged in a chamberfight, spamming the left mouse button in order to rechamber. The latter I would not recommend, though it may often work, it will also take away your ability to chamber rechambers that come with a different timing.

1.8 Chambering

1.8.1 Normal

A chamber is a move with which you can counterattack the attack of your opponent. In order to chamber you have to attack (left click) right before the bayonet of your enemy touches your body after its release. If the opponent uses a stab, you have to stab yourself. If your opponent uses an overhead, you have to attack with an overhead too. DO NOT HOLD YOUR RIGHT MOUSE BUTTON AND THE CHAMBER ONLY HAPPENS WHEN YOU LOAD YOUR ATTACK, NOT WHEN YOU ARE HOLDING AND SIMPLY RELEASE YOUR HOLD AT THE RIGHT TIME!

The timing can also be a bit earlier, however a chamber normally is done very late and it is the safest to really wait until you see the attack almost hitting you. You can also attack once you see your opponent release his attack but this will only work if he is close.

Waiting will work at all ranges.

The chamber itself will deflect your opponent's attack and carry your own attack through to the enemy. This move is good in order to increase the duel speed or catch your opponent by surprise.

This is a high risk move which also has a high pay-off chance if done correctly. It is one of the most effective ways to kill any sort of player, but requires a lot of practice and should be trained once the basics such as blocking and holding are learned.

1.8.2 Rechamber

If someone chambers you, there are three things that can happen:

1. You are stunned and killed or taken by surprise and killed.

2. You react and are able to block if you weren't stunned.

3. You react by rechambering him if you weren't stunned.

A rechamber simply is another chamber fulfilled by the person who just was chambered. The timing is earlier than the normal chamber. Normally you hit the left mouse button as soon as you were chambered in order to rechamber it.

If the distance is greater you simply use the same timing as for a normal chamber. Rechambers can also go on forever until someone messes up with the timing or someone is stunned.

1.8.3 Chamberhold

1.8.3.1 First-Chamber-Hold

If you are the person who chambered first, then you can instead of just tapping the left mouse button, hold it for half a second or a bit longer in order to avoid your opponent getting the timing for his rechamber right.

If you hold it too short your opponents rechamber will most likely work and if you hold it too long your opponent will be able to get his rechamber in as a spamstab, with you being wide open.

The First-Chamber-Hold is an excellent way to catch your opponent off guard, since most players who are decent or better will go for the rechamber and normally the rechamber's timing is right after your opponent chambered you. This is also a uncommon way to chamber since you take a high risk when holding the first chamber since you have to be certain of the timing or you won't likely be able to correct your timing.

1.8.3.2 Rechamber-Hold

It is the same as the First-Chamber-Hold, except you hold one of the rechambers in order to break the rechambering flow. This move is also highly effective against decent and better players, however less effective against the really good players, since they know this trick by heart and mostly expect it.

1.8.4 Stunchamber

In order to get the highest chance of a chamber being unblockable or unrechamberable, simply move forward right before or when you click the left mouse button. It will very likely stun your opponent and in addition to that your attack will carry more force, increasing the likelihood of you getting a one hit kill. This goes both for first chambers and rechambers. Though the first chamber will deal the most damage since your opponent moves forward to stab you and you then move forward into him while chambering.

1.8.5 Feintchamber

In order to feintchamber, you simply keep your left mouse button clicked, making your opponent see you as wide open and then when your opponent is brave enough to try to get in a hit before you release your stab, you simply tap the right mouse button while still keeping the left mouse button pressed and then once you tapped it, immediately release the left mouse button. This will load your attack new and chamber the opponent.

You can also chamber the opponent with a slower feint, which is a lot harder though.

1.8.6 Blockchamber

In my opinion this is the hardest chamber, since the timing is the least tolerant.

To blockchamber you have to hold your block and right when your opponent's attack touches your block, you release your right mouse button and hit the left mouse button in the right attack direction. This has to be in a fluent motion. Imagine the opponents bayonet touching your block, your block then going back with the opponents bayonet and then your bayonet lunging forward over the opponents.

The timing is crucial here. Five things can happen:

1. You release your block too early and get stabbed.

2. You release your block too early, however you time the left click perfectly for a normal chamber by accident.

3. You release your block too late and simply block the stab.

4. You release your block too late and block the stab, but being fast with your left click and taking advantage of the stun your opponent gets.

5. You time it perfectly and do a blockchamber.

Normally if you do a perfect blockchamber, it is pretty much unblockable and unrechamberable.

1.8.7 Chambering Holds

You should start training to chamber holds once you feel confident with most other chamber methods.

Chambering holds is one of the hardest chambers to learn, however it becomes easy with practice like everything in this game. In order to chamber a hold you simply have to know the time most people hold their attacks for. Pretty much every good player has one signature holding time, which he finds the most effective. This holding time does vary from player to player, but quite often also is the same. Naturally the good holders mix up their holding times in order not to be chambered and become more unpredictable but still every player has certain patterns, when he doesn't think about how he is fighting at the moment and if he is predictable (which is most of the time). Most players fight by experience and feeling and only really think when they absolutely have to. Otherwise it's pure routine, at least for those who play this game a lot.

So you can do three things and the best is to combine them all.

1. Memorize how often and for how long your opponent holds his attacks. If you notice he pretty much always holds for the same amount of time, simply attack when he normally releases.

2. Think of how long you would hold. Most likely your opponent will have a similar time.

3. Just relax. Do not be overeager or nervous you might miss it or that the opponents bayonet is too close or that he held long enough and should release now. No, just wait until you see your opponent actually released and then wait some more until his bayonet is right in front of you.

If you do it successfully, pretty much any player will be taken by surprise and combined with the stunchamber, unable to protect himself.

The risk you take is quite high though of course, since holds are there in order to avoid being chambered, so naturally the chance of you missing the chamber and getting hit is high. You do often have to block fast enough though if you realize your timing on the chamber is off.

1.9 Kicking

To kick you simply hit the "E" button. This will then load your kick, which takes around half a second and after that half a second, the actual kick will pull through, which can hit your opponent and stun him for around a second, leaving him defenseless and open to an attack.

This is a very risky move though, because you are not able to block down or turn while kicking, leaving your opponent the half second loading time to avoid getting kicked and instead killing you while you are open.

Also the kick has limited range. The range is about another person standing in front of you. So it's quite short.

It is the smartest to kick right after you attacked, seeing as then most opponents will move forward in order to take advantage of their attack turn. That way you will most likely get them to walk into your kick. However, naturally you can kick at all times, but the risk is mostly higher.

REMEMBER: You have limited time to take advantage of your successful kick, so make it count and be quick with following the kick with a stab (I would not recommend an overhead since it is slower). Too fast and the stab won't register and not follow through, too slow and your opponent will be able to block or chamber. You can also hold your attack before kicking, which allows you to attack really fast. However it is harder to successfully kick when you are holding your attack since most opponents keep their distance when it is your turn to attack.

1.9.1 Frontalkick

Walk backwards and simply kick straight in front of you and let your opponent walk into your kick. You have to time it correctly of course (about half a second before your opponent reaches you). You can also stand still and kick.

This is a very obvious move though and against most good players will get you killed, since they hardly ever move straight at you, in order to avoid such a kick.

1.9.2 Sidekick

This is also a very common kick amongst good players and probably the most effective.

In order to do this kick simply attack and right after attacking, kick around 30 degrees to your right or left.

To make this even more effective you should swing in your attack from a side and then kick to the side you attacked from. Often your opponent will continue walking in that direction, seeing as he had to block that way and now simply moves forward into the same direction and into your waiting kick.

1.9.3 Blockkick

You can block in all directions but down while kicking. So if someone attacks from above or a swordsman with sideswings, you can block in that direction and kick. The block can be raised even while you kick, though it is the most likely the block will work if you block right before kicking.

1.9.4 Riskkick

This is simply when you do not kick RIGHT after attacking. You can either wait for a second and then kick once you see exactly where your opponent is moving or you can even kick while your opponent is holding and moving towards you.

So a riskkick is simply a kick done during a more risky situation. It is a lot more surprising, BUT as the name suggests riskier.

1.9.5 High-Ping-Blockkick

If you have a ping of ~65+ you will even be able to block down while kicking, seeing as you have a high ping and are at a disadvantage compared to lowpingers. This is a very strong tool but doesn't always work.

1.10 Stunning

As already mentioned when you block an opponent you stun him for a fraction of a second, if you release the block directly after you successfully blocked and then follow with a fast stab you will be able to take advantage of the stun and get in a hit.

This is very hard though, seeing as you will have to release your block very close to the impact of the opponents attack, thus running the risk of releasing it too early and getting hit. So like with the blockchamber, timing is vital here.

1.11. General Movement

The most important thing to know about movement is NEVER to walk straight at an opponent unless he is absolutely unable to kick or chamber you.

Otherwise always use the "A" and "D" keys and walk slightly to the right or left of your opponent or keep switching both. Do not simply run straight when in combat, always be surprising and dangerous.

Don't facehug (getting so close that you walk into your opponent) unless you know your opponent well or are supported. Instead keep out of kicking distance, which can still be very close but not body to body.

Doing this will avoid you getting kicked often and also make you a harder target to hit, making your dodges more successful.

1.12 Analyze Opponents Patterns

The most important thing about dueling or fighting in general is analyzing your opponent, memorizing his patterns and then countering them and turning them into advantages for you. So if you notice your opponent spams a lot, just block one and then immediately attack or if your opponent holds a lot and long, attack from above and suddenly stabspam him or if your opponent chambers a lot, vary your holds or if he always moves forward aggressively when he attacks, kick him.

Always find an answer for the things your opponent does, using everything you know. Do not overuse anything but try to master or at least learn most of the aspects of the system in order to be able to use or counter them.

2. Groupfighting

Groupfighting is when you fight alongside a team of your own against a team of opponents. It is mostly fought in small arena like maps and normally is fought on Battle mode, so you only have one life per round. DON'T THROW IT AWAY! THE IMPORTANT THING IS THAT YOUR TEAM WINS, NOT THAT YOU GET THE MOST KILLS!

However the skills you learn here can be used in any mode involving fighting against multiple opponents, with or without a team.

2.1 Normal Groupfighting

Once the round begins both teams move forward. It is vital to work as a team and hold some sort of formation, whether that'd be a line, a blob or just fighting in pairs or even alone. As a team you should figure out what tactic would bring out your strengths the most. Every player is important in his own way. If one can't block for shit but is good at backstabbing, then he should be the one trying to get behind the enemies and avoid getting into longer fights, if someone is good at dueling, he should try to get into 1v1s and so on.

Try to hold that formation if it is a line for instance and be aware of your surroundings, meaning look around a lot when not directly engaged. Look for holes in the formation that your opponents could get into and fill them or if you find a weakness in the opponents formation and know you can hold your ground against multiple opponents for a while, take advantage of it and entertain the opponents, letting your teammates do the killing while just engaging multiple opponents and trying to survive.

You should also always try to outnumber your opponents and try to avoid being outnumbered. If you do get a 2v1 in your favour, try using the other attack direction than your teammate, making it hard to impossible to block for your opponent.

Of course you can try to get behind or into the enemy and simply go for as many kills as you can by backstabbing, spinning and changing directions all the time. However NEVER throw away your life. If you do decide to go for kills, let your teammates know, so they can take advantage of the confusion you cause. It is more important that you live though, since throwing your life away for one kill will only hurt your team, especially if you are skilled.

It all depends on what your style is and knowing what you can and can't do with it. There are teamplayers, not very good at individual skill but great at ganging up on opponents or keeping the formation, there are duelists, great as individuals, fighting against one or multiple opponents but not so good at fighting with teammates and those who combine both, great individual skill combined with a great oversight. All players are valuable in a team as long as they stick to what they do best and the team knows they are doing what they are supposed to do.

There is nothing worse than having teammates you can't rely on, you should always get the secure feeling you won't be backstabbed any second without warning or suddenly face the entire opposite team. Naturally this will often happen, which is why you should be aware of your surroundings and communicate with your teammates, if possible.

This is of course more advanced and what a Groupfighting Tournament Team would do, but most of this you can use in the normal public Groupfighting Servers too.

The most vital thing is being aware of your surroundings. That way you don't even have to be too good at fighting but can simply go for backstabs or help gang up on an opponent or most importantly, avoid getting into situations you can't handle.

2.2 Outnumbering the Opponent

When you get into a 2v1 or more situation in your favour.

2.2.1 Aggressive

Be quick and keep attacking. Little blocking or holding, more spamming and feinting. No ranging but getting close (no facehugging but just out of kick range). This is the fastest way to kill an opponent but you also run the risk of your opponent killing you when you try to spam or him chambering your non-hold attacks.

Teamwork is vital for the aggressive outnumbering. Try to use the other attack direction your teammate is using and attacking at the same time he does. This will make it impossible even for the best player to block it.

Or time your attacks so that they follow your teammates attack, trying to take advantage of your opponent wanting to attack himself and attacking at the time he would want to.

Keep switching your attacks to distract your opponent and make it harder for him to register all his opponents movements.

The key to success here is simply being fast, feinty and spammy.

You should not do this if it is the last opponent left, since you are not in a rush then. Definitely use it if you need to kill quickly in order to help teammates or kill the enemy before he gets reinforcements.

WATCH OUT FOR THE TEAMKILLS HERE THOUGH AND DO NOT GET INTO YOUR TEAMMATES WAY!

2.2.2 Cautious / "Assist-Giver"

Stay back a bit, just in range and let your teammate/s attack. Make sure your opponent's attacks do not catch you off guard, meaning go in with a block and when you do attack, hold it in order to avoid being chambered. Sooner or later you will catch your opponent making a mistake, whether that'd be him failblocking or you getting in a holdattack.

You can also go in with a block and simply hold your attack in one attack-direction, forcing him to block that way and letting your teammate attack him from the other attack-direction. If he decides to block the other way, simply release and if he decides to try to spam you, just block it and the stun will leave him open to your teammates attack. This is the easiest way to kill any player, but will most likely not give you a kill but an assist.

Definitely play cautiously when your opponent is the last enemy left. You can always do this, but if you have to kill very quickly, you should be aggressive.

2.3 Being Outnumbered

Facing multiple opponents on your own.

2.3.1 Backpedaling

When you face multiple opponents but you still have teammates who are alive, try to stay alive yourself and survive until they can help you.

Backpedalling is an effective way to stay alive. Just keep moving backwards, attacking and blocking, trying to line up your opponents so you don't have to block two opponents at the same time.

This is effective because moving backwards will prevent your opponents from catching up too quickly and there is always the threat for them of you getting in a ranged attack or suddenly stopping to kick.

The negative factor is that once your opponents do get closer and can get two bayonets against you, it will be hard to block or dodge them. So do not use this for too long, at least not when you know you are the last one on your team who is alive.

2.3.2 Defensive Blocking

This is another way to stay alive longer when outnumbered, however it is more risky but at the same time you will be more likely to be able to take out a few opponents if not all.

Do not try to attack too much but instead rely on your blocking skill. Move through the enemies, using footwork to navigate around your enemies and trying to dodge or simply block their attacks. If you move correctly and at the right time (right before an opponent attacks, change your movement direction rapidly, best is to move right into and past him, forcing him to turn in order to try and hit you) you will likely be able to get them to teamkill each other.

Every once in a while when you see a large enough time gap or an easy chamber, you can go for an attack and take out a few enemies that way. The focus should definitely be on blocking and staying alive though.

2.3.3 Aggressive Spamming /Spinning

This is if you know you have no chance of beating your opponents, whether they'd be too great in numbers or you simply not having the skill to take them out otherwise.

Simply move into the enemies and constantly attack, hoping for chambers and always switching targets and moving around, even suddenly attacking behind you.

By never staying put or concentrating on one opponent you will be relatively hard to hit and at the same time you might be able to catch a few opponents by surprise when you suddenly switch a target or get a lucky chamber.

I would honestly never suggest doing this, except if you really know you can't survive any other way.

2.3.4 Speed Combat

This is the skilled version of the aggressive combat when being outnumbered.

Here you do rely on switching targets and attacking, however you do block a lot. Instead of the usual blockholding, you tapblock. You see an incoming attack and right click just in time to block it and then immediately attack again.

The moving around and constant switching of targets will have the same effect as the spamming and spinning but you will be a lot harder to kill since you do block and in addition to that you will often be able to stun your opponents with your quick blocks and attacks.
The risk you run here is of mistiming your tapblock, for instance when an opponent holds his stab.

This is the best way to kill multiple opponents quickly though.

2.3.5 Long Holding

You hold your attack before walking into your opponents and then you keep holding it and force all of your opponents close to you to block, then you wait for an opening or suddenly turn around to attack someone behind you. This is a combination of exaggerated holding and spinning.

THE BEST IS TO MIX ALL THE STYLES ACCORDING TO YOUR SITUATION AND ALWAYS SWITCHING THEM!

3. Tips/Tricks

Here are some tips and tricks I find useful.

3.1 Overhead Attack, Kick

Do an overhead dolphin or hold and then once you have released your attack and your opponent manages to block it, you quickly kick.
If your opponent fails to block your attack he will most likely die, because of the overhead likely hitting his upper body. If however he blocks, he will want to attack and seeing as he looked up at your overhead attack, he will forget about the lower part of your body, which is where the kick comes from and will walk into it.

This is a very useful deception, distracting your opponent on the top, then kicking from the bottom.

3.2 Midhold-Kick and possible Chamber

When holding you can kick all of a sudden when you see your opponent moving into kick range. The best way to do this is dolphining your overhead and then kicking, interrupting your overhead attack. The animation will look like your attack was cancelled all of a sudden and your opponent will think he can now attack.

If he sees what you were doing and dodges in time, however is slow with his attack, you will also be able to get an easy chamber, seeing as your opponent will not hold but want to get the attack in while you are still unable to block, due to your kick.

3.3 Overhead-Stun, Quickstab Attack

The most effective stun move is blocking an opponent's overhead and then using the stun pause to attack with a stab. The overhead stun will be quite long and your stab is quite fast.

Plus, your opponent's eyes will still most likely be on the top.

3.4 Overhead-Hold, Downstabspam

An effective spam move is dolphining your overhead and then quickly following that with a stabspam and moving to a side. The time between that is very short and your opponent will be holding his overhead block because he can't tapblock your overhead dolphin without risk.

3.5 Feinting while Dolphining

While you dolphin your stab or overhead you can feint. This will make the feint less controllable but will also make it a lot harder for your opponent to see what kind of attack you are actually doing.

3.6 Exaggerated Holding

You can hold your attack for ages annoying your opponent to a point where he will simply wants to attack you and then release your attack in time. This requires quite the reflexes and concentration on your part.

OR

You can hold quite long but not with the intention of holding until your opponent attacks and then simply randomly release at a certain time. Quite possibly your opponent will think he can chamber your normal hold or spam your hold and you get in a lucky hit.

This is also ideal when outnumbering your opponent.

3.7 Blockdeception-Hold

If you do a slight dolphin. Not exaggerating the movement but doing a slight up and down movement right at your opponents block and then holding it there for a split second, it will look to your opponent a lot like he just blocked your attack and he will release to attack. That split second hold at his block before releasing will then be the perfect timing to kill him right when he opens his block.

3.8 Back/Side turned Stunchamber

You can also chamber well by moving ever so slightly away from your opponent by holding the "A" and "S" or "A" and "W" keys while keeping the camera focused on your opponent by pulling your mouse towards him. Walk without a block or attack. It will look like your back or side is turned. However once your opponent decides to attack, you will all of a sudden launch forward towards him and chamber him. The moving forward will stunchamber him and the general movement almost always stuns your opponent.

3.9 Chamber Opponent 1 and move into Opponent 2

A very effective way to kill multiple opponents is by chambering one opponent and then moving into another one slightly behind or next to him.

You can also hold the chamber and then properly direct it towards any other opponent. Just make sure not to hold too long or stay too close to the opponent you chambered, because he will likely have clicked already in order to rechamber your chamber and thus be able to kill you if you hold or are still close to him.

3.10 Walk into Opponent 1 and then catapult into Opponent 2

Another effective way of killing multiple opponents is by holding your attack and forcing the opponent closest to you to block, then walking into him, making sure you are stopped from moving forward for a split second then moving slightly left or right and attacking the opponent behind him. You have to keep the "W" key held though, even when you are physically blocked, because that way you will be catapulted forward when moving past the first opponent, making it hard to react for people behind him.

In addition to that it will look to the people behind him, that you were successfully stopped and blocked by their foreman and they will be less cautious.

Another successfull but risky move is kicking after chambering or rechambering your opponent. This is effective because most players move forward while chambering, even if not much but at least a little bit. So if you kick after re/chambering, the chance of your opponent moving into your kick is relativly high.

You should kick a bit to the right after your chambered too, because in a chamberfight both opponents normally move to the left. So kicking to your right will kick into your opponents moving direction.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:55:15 pm by JackieChan »

JackieChan

Re: JackieChan's Bayonet Melee Guide
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2013, 05:42:52 am »
Updates:

21/08/2013:
1.8.1 Normal
Removed section of Chamber that stated you can chamber a stab with an overhead. It is not possible (I tried).
Added a new point to Tips/Tricks.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2013, 06:56:00 pm by JackieChan »

JackieChan

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2013, 05:45:46 am »
I will do the formatting properly later on. :)

Offline Japan

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Japan
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2013, 06:14:06 am »
Very useful. Although I never actually tried the dolphin technique, might use it.

Offline Gokiller

• Almost Pride of Ni
  • Major General
  • Bydand in the chat lads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2013, 06:30:23 am »
Very useful. Although I never actually tried the dolphin technique, might use it.
Really? Lol we used it back in the first days of NW.  ;D

Offline Madbull

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_Grd_Madbull
  • Side: Union
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2013, 07:01:02 am »
Pshhhhhhhh, who needs winning when your rolling on the top of the scoreboard like a pro.

JackieChan

« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2013, 08:52:58 am »
Formatted it so it should be easier to work with now, seeing as the structure is more clear.

AeroNinja

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2013, 09:07:00 am »
Best. Guide. Ever.  8)

Offline Evanovic

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Evan
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2013, 09:08:33 am »
Awesome guide! Glad I could help you with editing.  ;)
Aliases: Evan | Evanovic | Evan Fraser | Previous Regiments: 3rd | 13e | 15e | 91st | Nr.24 | 15thYR | 17e Legion d'Honneur | Now Retired

Tournament Wins: 3x NW Duel Champion (5x Finalist) | 1x 2vs2 Tournament | 1x 3vs3 Tournament | 11x Groupfighting Tournament (Minions, Argyll, PowerRangers) | 3x National Groupfighting Tournament (UK Team) | 3x Regimental Groupfighting Tournament (Nr.24, 17e) | 3x Regimental League (91st, Nr.24) | EU vs NA Linebattle 2016 (Team EU)

Graphics Work: Groupfighting Tournament | NWEC

Offline Aksei

• Donator
  • meh
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Aksei
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2013, 09:37:57 am »
really good guide. The blockchamber seems to be easier for me when facehugging, but ofc does not much damage and your open for kick

Offline Fallout

• First Lieutenant
  • Been playing this game for too damn long ;~;
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [2teGarde]Fallout
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2013, 09:59:09 am »
Fantastic guide Jackie! Still don't understand as to why you're still a Pte!

Offline Oakenshield

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2013, 10:28:54 am »
Really nice guide, i'm sure it will help lots of people.  ;D

Offline Burakkuada

• First Lieutenant
  • Vince - Unban Tavington.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 17e_WookieeBurak
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2013, 10:32:05 am »
Oh God Yackie! You've released the secrets! THE MELEE GOD WILL NEVER FORGIVE YOU!!

Offline Blitz

• First Sergeant
  • Repent! For tomorrow you die!
    • View Profile
    • 91st Argyllshire Highlanders
  • Nick: 91st_LCpl_Peter_Morgan
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2013, 01:48:01 pm »
This is a bible, extremely nice work Jackie.
Are you a tough, darn tootin straight shootin soon of a gun, maybe you have what it takes for the 1st Texan.

Offline Drako

• Second Lieutenant
  • Recruit in the 78th Regiment of Foot
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2013, 01:51:52 pm »
Wow, great work! Really helpful guide.