16 (1.9%)
400 litres
48 (5.7%)
240.336.676,217765 litres
300 (35.5%)
10.180.000.000.000.000 litres
362 (42.8%)

Total Members Voted: 838

Author Topic: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED) - Old Thread  (Read 980653 times)

Offline TORN

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: TORN
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Iron Europe - WWI Mod (Update #14 Knives)
« Reply #900 on: March 20, 2013, 04:55:07 pm »
TL;DR: I'm skeptical.

thank god you wrote that.

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #901 on: March 20, 2013, 04:55:42 pm »
Well, a WWI mod for RO2 is still better than no WWI mod (not counting IE).
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Willhelm

• Donator
    • View Profile
    • Blood&Iron
  • Nick: 32nd_Gdm_William
  • Side: Union

Offline König

• Major
  • A major König
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Koenig
« Reply #903 on: March 20, 2013, 05:05:51 pm »
I don't trust anything but pizza from a pizza place.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #904 on: March 20, 2013, 06:07:37 pm »

thank god you wrote that.

I'm a considerate person. c:

Well, a WWI mod for RO2 is still better than no WWI mod (not counting IE).

You're right.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 21, 2013, 05:34:36 am »
WWI would've been great for the first Red Orchestra.
BEHOLD:
http://www.moddb.com/mods/grabenkrieg

I know about it, König, it's just they would have to make a heavy edit to the base gameplay for me to get into it. Things such as the return to the suppression system that DH has rather than the "everything is zoned in and deaf" system that RO2 has. Not only that, but heavily increase the weapon sway of unsupported weapons and get rid of the laser accuracy of all of the weapons. RO2 in its current state is much too arcadey for WWI or even WWII, since you just have idiots running around with prototype assault rifles that never saw Stalingrad to begin with.

The beauty of RO1 is if you're crossing open ground at 100-200 meters away, you have a pretty good chance at surviving. There are excellent marksmen in the game and I'd like to consider myself one of them, so you'd still have people picked off if you weren't making good use of micro-terrain or cover.

I have two in-game examples of the rediculous lethality of RO2 vs. RO1:

The map "Fallen Heroes" in RO2 is a remake of "Fallen Fighters" in RO1. In FF I can move from the rear areas of my respective base capture point towards the center and even make movements within the center without too much trouble. Most of the fire I'll take will either be flanking fire, artillery, or the machine-gun of a tank. However, in FH, if you're not moving without the aid of smoke or safety in numbers, you'll be sniped from everywhere and anywhere since everyone is laser accurate.

As I've already let everyone in the FKI know, I do (or rather did until RO:Ostfront and Darkest Hour died because of the server glitch) historical realism gaming with a unit. (We've since moved to Invasion '44 for ArmA II) However, we had just come from preparing for RO2 by playing Red Orchestra: Ostfront and we were at the top of our game, just getting out of a Battle of Berlin campaign with a multitude of other units also preparing for RO2. We were extremely efficient and deadly, tearing everyone to shreds even each other during trainings. (Dom Pavlova still gives me nightmares, haha!) However, the most suitable map for our realism type gaming was "Red October Factory" with the amount of differential terrain and room to maneuver compared to many other maps. However, no matter how well in cover or hidden defenders would be or how far back we'd have the attacker's starting point would be, we'd keep on running into cross-map sniping or attackers being able to ignore suppression and pick off machinegunners or riflemen in good positions... positions that would've been much more difficult to neutralize in RO1. Trainings would be over in a matter of minutes with the same result each time... 2-3 guys on each team skulking around to get the drop on each other and kill the last enemies.

I emotionally invested myself into RO2 and really tried to like it and forgive its downfalls, being very optimistic about features being fixed. However, even now, most of them still haven't been fixed or they've just been shirked off. Not to mention the terrible tanking. All of the realism units that did play RO2 abandoned ship about 3-4 months afterwards until it was us and one other unit. They moved back to DH and so did we. I don't know if I can ever look back, unless some mod would fix the terrible issues brought on by the TWI team.

/rant

Woah woah woah, did you say you were in a DH realism unit ? May I ask what unit were you in? I used to be in the 10th SS Pzgren. b
And its really sad about the server glitch thing. Man DH used to be my life im not kidding, (I play it 24/7) sucks to see it ruined.  >:(

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 21, 2013, 06:04:33 am »
Yeah, I knew of the 10.SS "Freundsberg". You guys got pretty torn up in the Battle of Berlin campaign. :P We didn't get shit for action, though. One battle against the Spearhead Division and we stomped their shit so hard we let them attack us twice. Then we stomped their shit again. It was on a crud map anyways to boot.

2.SS "Das Reich" here. Joined in May of '11 after stumbling on Red Orchestra on some Youtube videos. Time flies.

No, I'm with you on that. RO1 is my baby. xD
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 21, 2013, 06:27:01 am »
I was in the RO1 2.SS, in... Christ, 2006 onward, the one run by Ostheim and Hoffner. Our rivals were the dreaded 181st Tank Brigade, founded by our former armour detachment leader. When I blew up his command tank with a satchel in one realism match, hoo doggy, it was better than any stupid scripted Call of Duty cinematic set-piece. I was a King among Men! They put a tank destruction badge on my dorky forum signature. I've lost the version with my later Gendarmerie gorget though, yet I still have the avatar with the gorget. Strange. Actually, Ostheim left/was ejected when I joined, and Hoffner shared command with Switzer (now calling himself Schweitzer).

The "insert rune here" was from after they issued warnings for the Wolfsangel. Ahh, the moral ambiguity, the petty arguments and shoddy talking-points... I remember it like it was yesterday.

I never made the transition to DH... something about the new community it attracted and some of the gameplay changes didn't agree with me.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 06:36:21 am by Bluehawk »

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 21, 2013, 06:52:07 am »
I kind of lost interest in RO after they added tanks. Not that they did a bad job or anything, I just preferred it when it was all infantry and the addition of tanks only made it hard to find infantry-only servers.

That said, I did get back into it for a while when it went commercial and had a good few years of fun. Still one of my all-time favourite games.

What's this server glitch mentioned? it's been probably a year since I've played, but I don't recall anything being wrong back then.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 21, 2013, 07:03:26 am »
I found out about the game way too late. It's all I ever wanted and was on the Eastern Front to boot.

Believe me, there's been times where I was close to leaving. There's just a few individuals and the cameraderie I share with them that keeps me coming back. Also, being able to be a squad leader and just lead my guys to success is really rewarding and mentally challenging.

I've heard the horror stories from the 181st Tank Brigade. I hear they really shaped the German realism units into something formidiable because of how much the Axis units got wrecked time and time again. I really have to commend you on your satchel kill!

Probably my best experience in an actual battle would be directing MG fire into an unsuspecting enemy squad at long distance or picking off an infiltrator with my MP. Throw in the occasional suicide charge through MG fire and running into an objective between artillery salvos, counting on the man next to me not to take a hit since he's the only one with a panzerfaust well... you can't trade in those tense moments for anything!

It's now being led by Hoffmann, Reinhard long gone from being active, though he showed up a few times just to check in during my time in.

Ostheim was doing his own thing with the 24.Panzer in RO2 and then 12.SS in Iron Front: Liberation 1944 but retired in a sense. Schweitzer shows up occasionally, but the pessimistic bastard can't bring himself to do trainings with us right now.

Well, up until about 2-3 months ago everything was fine with RO1 and its mods such as Darkest Hour and Mare Nostrum until some sort of server glitch hit where you'd have either 1-2 servers show up or none at all. TWI completely ignored fixing it and it still plagues the game today. It's since then killed most of the community.

Offline Zoring

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 21, 2013, 03:23:54 pm »
Wow have you been collecting them?

You are correct :) I have a couple of uniforms and a bunch of WW1 guns and bayonets and things, all fun stuff. Here is a video of me shooting my G98.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 03:28:59 pm by Zoring »

Offline Wismar

• Donator
  • Med Gud o' Sveas allmoge för Konung och Fosterland
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Radical
« Reply #911 on: March 21, 2013, 03:47:58 pm »
Wow have you been collecting them?

You are correct :) I have a couple of uniforms and a bunch of WW1 guns and bayonets and things, all fun stuff. Here is a video of me shooting my G98.

Nice

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 21, 2013, 04:30:59 pm »
Excellent video, Zoring! It's amazing hearing the rapid fire from everyone on line. Amplify that by 3 and that's what we should be hearing in Iron Europe!

Offline VonTawast

• First Sergeant
  • ''An officer doesn't run.''
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Oltermanni
« Reply #913 on: March 21, 2013, 05:11:53 pm »
What the hell was that third guy shooting in the beginning? So much smoke emerged from it. Some sort of musket?  :D

Offline Zoring

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 21, 2013, 05:47:04 pm »
VonTawast: That was a Martini-Henry, blackpowder makes a lot of smoke :D

Thanks Landrik, the noise of war most have been unbelievable, we are just firing a bunch of bolt action rifles, imagine machine guns, cannons, people screaming, etc.