Author Topic: Developer Blog 18 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.104  (Read 76450 times)

Offline The Norseman

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Kpl_TheNorseman
  • Side: Union
Re: Developer Blog 18 - Napoleonic Wars Patch 1.104
« Reply #300 on: August 09, 2013, 06:22:34 am »
Enjoy le noobs, may your voice be heard, but without the insults and hate please. Just let the numbers speak for themselves.
the numbers Are not correct. People Are assuming you mean earlier patches where as of those who wanted the old melee back, only half meant they want xx back. I also enjoyed the earlier melee, but Im also glad they removed the xx glitch. Just stating my opinion. And we once had a poll about the same thing long ago where 400-500 wanted the old melee back and only 50-60 wanted the new and nothing was done, which means nothing is going to happen when you barely have more yes than no in the poll (which cant be completely trusted)
The Norseman is my name in my name.

"Never argue with an idiot; they'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."

Offline Fallout

• First Lieutenant
  • Been playing this game for too damn long ;~;
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [2teGarde]Fallout
« Reply #301 on: August 09, 2013, 06:27:53 am »
I understand what you mean, but there's no pleasing everyone :P That's why I wanted to people to post their opinion in my thread as well. The poll was as fair as I could make it, while taking out bias and trying to get all opinions out there as a poll.

Offline Completenoob

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 09, 2013, 03:16:39 pm »
First of all its not an exploit because it can be easily countered. Second this quote from Vince shows that whenever things are removed from the melee system it is always to dumb it down and make it so there cannot be "elitist pigs that take out new people within 0.1 second."

Spoiler
I joined a MM game 1 month before release for the first time since 6 months,  I found a complete broken melee system, people spinning like mad, holding down-block constantly and generally being elitist pigs that take out new people within 0.1 second.

Something had to be done, spinning removed to stop the people from being some weird ninja
[close]

Some people might think that double x and old MM spinning was a broken melee system and even exploitation but I think that a form of complex yet deep and engaging melee where new fighting styles and skills are invented each day.

Alot of people will buy BCoF because of the historical period or the uniforms and ect... But in the end most of our time in the actual game will be in either shooting or melee combat. If the melee system in BCoF is dull to the point where a new player can easily defeat a seasoned veteran then this is not a game that I would put in countless hours honing my melee skills when there is no big payoff in the end in terms of skill.

I have better explanation for that.

Spinning around like the tasmanian devil on crack is not exactly realistic nor falls within the possibility what man could do. Not even high speed flat stall can rival spinning madness you would otherwise see. Of course, how much realism-oriented NW and M&M really tries to be (and Battle Cry of Freedom) in the end and one can always note things need some kind of balance is one thing, but speaking on purely subjective behalf, I kind of liked NW had slightly more realistic approach overall. I admit this is quite noobish and unpopular opinion, but overall this reminds me of Ken Fighter 4, and how it turned into Super Yun\Yan Fighter 4 instead. Or back when 4.10 patch was released to IL-2 over the years and they got rid of absolute limits for G-forces and modified heat management to reflect reality slightly more instead of exploiting full WEP throttle all the time for eternity before it would reach overheating. Most veterans of online IL-2 flight squadrons said the game was ruined because well, they might have to reconsider their tactics and pay more attention to similar throttle and pitch settings as it would be relevant IRL. Oh, and that you can no longer pull off instant fighter-esque 180 degrees with heavy bomber on full bomb load just like that without destroying the fuselage in pieces.

(Vaguely of course, since IL-2 of course has its share of stuff that is kind of ignored or very abstracted.)

Since I am being a prick today I shall continue it on bit more subjective behalf, so feel free to call me the worst kind of noobish non-scrub there is, the demand for greatly authentic game which is arbitrarily balanced for the sake of balance feels extremely silly. NW is already quite a compromise, but since neither shooting or melee is completely pointless based on warfare which was primarily dominated by... shooting, if we fastforward years ahead to depiction of a conflict which was even more pewpew focused than before having arbitrary nerf of guns for the sake of keeping chivalric bayonet duels which last for ten minutes is IMHO, pretty stupid. It's no different from having game based in the 1940s - or hey, how about Vietnam which is all about bayonet combat. No doubt it happened here and there, but it's beyond arbitrary. At least Falklands would have the justification bayonet charge succeeded, but we could say that really boils down to calling judgment depending on the situation. I dare to say that might be even true in BCoF, as even if melee would be treated as second-class citizen there is no reason not to include it and make it at least functional, if rare.

This really just boils down to the preference between arbitrary balance, functional balance and realism. There is no such thing as perfection and realism can be said to be quite subjective - just saying this to be extra extra redundant - but if all else fails, nothing prevents from the community from creating so-called promod. WolfET had one (and damm that game was awful compared to RTCW MP), some CoD games have one and so on. Say whatever you want of the mentioned games but they all had genuine competitive community which is not really that different from mindset of linebattles and regiments in functional sense.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2013, 03:18:17 pm by Completenoob »

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #303 on: August 09, 2013, 04:01:06 pm »
To refer to a reply of Duuring:

Melee in neither NW nor MM is histirically accurate, you wouldn't see a spread out field, with people 1v1ing each other.
Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Death by EMP

• Major
  • Crunch, forever and always
    • View Profile
  • Nick: CRUNCH
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #304 on: August 09, 2013, 04:26:59 pm »
Obviously it is unrealistic. Hitting a cavalry man riding at full speed with your bayonet while not being braced for it whatsoever would rip your fucking arms off.

Offline Joseph Graham

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 09, 2013, 04:29:09 pm »
To be honest, I'd much rather see Battle renamed to Skirmish, as that's effectively what it is. I might have to look into hosting a skirmish event, making some custom maps centered around mountain passes and narrow valleys and the like.

Offline Coconut

• Colonel
  • "Just do a headbob" - DarthJezus 2012
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Coconut
« Reply #306 on: August 10, 2013, 07:33:08 am »
To refer to a reply of Duuring:

Melee in neither NW nor MM is histirically accurate, you wouldn't see a spread out field, with people 1v1ing each other.
If you want to talk about realism, everytime I see a regiment form a square in a linebattle. The Cav just jumps into it and kills everyone. Realism.(Sarcasm)

Offline Jake

• Sergeant Major
  • Enjoy life because it could be over soon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 10, 2013, 06:25:18 pm »
Mmhm verry tasty 8)

Offline Hans Maul

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: September 20, 2013, 09:55:12 am »
Thats was the bettest patch EVER

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #309 on: September 20, 2013, 12:29:06 pm »

Offline samthekeen

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: September 20, 2013, 01:08:39 pm »
The patch is quite poor in my eyes, i didnt really see anything wrong with the game to begin with. Now i can't melee as good because downspam is now over powered and it is easier to block chambers, feels like i have to change my techniques. The game also crashes more frequently for me.

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #311 on: September 20, 2013, 06:52:48 pm »
The patch is quite poor in my eyes, i didnt really see anything wrong with the game to begin with. Now i can't melee as good because downspam is now over powered and it is easier to block chambers, feels like i have to change my techniques. The game also crashes more frequently for me.

The downstab and the upstab are coded the exact same, there's nothing different about them except for the fact that an upstab takes slightly longer to prepare, but it's been like that for a year now.

Offline Carson

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • Charlie Don't Surf
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC Captain
« Reply #312 on: October 31, 2013, 12:04:36 pm »
Hope the next one comes soon!

Former:
15e Chef de Bataillon
USMC Captain |30th Captain | 3eVolt Soldat de Première | 1te Garde Lieutenant | 15thYork Serjeant | 21e Soldat | 24th Private

Offline William

• Major General
  • What doth life?
    • View Profile
    • Youtube Channel where I upload NW and M&B
  • Nick: CluelessWill
« Reply #313 on: October 31, 2013, 01:18:14 pm »
Hope the next one comes soon!
The next one won't come, they are finished with NW.  :(

Edit: As of the 11th of Jan, 2018, a patch came out megaLUL
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 11:02:45 pm by William »
Check out my YT channel where I post NW www.youtube. com/c/CluelessWill
Spoiler
god damn, Anthony is smart, he was able to get the shit AEF to tie with the best reg in the game. The tactical geniusness needed to pull off such a feat is insane. He's the Erwin Rommel of NW.
i always get an erection when i check my subscrptions and see that phresh cluelesswill vid
It won't be FSE developing it, so it will come out!
[close]