Author Topic: Reenacting the Waffen-SS Discussion Thread  (Read 10280 times)

Offline Highlander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Highderlander
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Reenacting the Waffen-SS Discussion Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 02:01:23 am »
I really do not understand why anyone would want to portray the SS. Ever been to Oradour-sur-Glane?

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2013, 03:48:58 am »
Non-Reenactors,while we respect your views and opinions they really arent needed. and your only clogging this up :)   welcome back Duuring ;)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 07:03:56 am by zac »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2013, 08:43:39 am »
if were going to have a discussion about reenacting the SS then people who arent reenacters scram. Go make a thread in the main historical forum.

I can see why you'd want to re-enact the Waffen-SS; Bigotry and segregation seem right up your alley.

Right up my alley? If I thought people who arent admins should post in an admin forum would that also mean I support segregation? Plus I would never do SS. Do overportrayed

I swear idiotic posts sp,e here is why non reenacters shouldn't be posting on topics regarding reenacting in the reenactment forum.
Go make a thread is the main historical forum then you guys can debate your butts of.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 08:50:19 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2013, 09:21:34 am »
Exactly, as much as i enjoy  Docm30's help in regards to history etc, he starting to sound very much like how Duuring did (before he assimilated and we all became best buds xD )

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2013, 09:36:19 am »
Right up my alley? If I thought people who arent admins should post in an admin forum would that also mean I support segregation? Plus I would never do SS. Do overportrayed

Surely you realised I was joking when I compared your not wanting norms posting here to the bigotry of the SS?

...as much as i enjoy  Docm30's help in regards to history etc, he starting to sound very much like how Duuring did...

What the hell's that supposed to mean? besides being the most insulting thing anyone has ever said to me.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2013, 09:58:28 am »
this may be just the fact that i haven't slept for 2 days, but it just sounds as if your one sided, no insult was intended,

ANYWAY

Someone make a seperate discussion,or ill make it ,,in the historical discussion thread

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2013, 10:04:37 am »
I don't rightly recall taking any side. I couldn't care less if people want to re-enact the Waffen-SS. I don't see why they'd want to, but it doesn't really bother me that they do.

I'd have to take a side before anyone could justifiably call me "one sided".

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 24, 2013, 10:07:20 am »
Why shouldn't Docm comment? His post makes perfect sense to me. It's clear and to-the-point, and I fully agree.

Zac, get some sleep. Oh and don't talk to Landrik when drunk again - See the result?  ::)

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2013, 10:17:56 am »

hehehe
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 10:21:07 am by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 24, 2013, 10:19:29 am »
Then don't mention the war!

(I'll slap anyone not getting the joke)

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 24, 2013, 10:23:37 am »
ahh,, faulty towers xD

Offline Completenoob

• Corporal
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 24, 2013, 02:49:16 pm »
I really do not understand why anyone would want to portray the SS. Ever been to Oradour-sur-Glane?

Considering that Waffen-SS was (primarily) combat arm in an organisation with three main pieces (and few other child organisations), of which Allgemeine-SS (or ASS) and SS-Totenkopfverbände was more often responsible for certain atrocities than WSS was, though obviously they tend to go somewhat in hand to hand, depending on the unit which they choose to portray it may be entirely appropriate presuming it is handled with sufficient care. Yes, I am all too aware WSS doesn't exactly has that nice reputation but it also is fairly diverse between small (or even larger) formations which had nothing to do with any kind of bullshit besides bearing different insignia and might have had better training than some other folk something which would make Volkssturm look elite, or had its own share with certain events.

That being said I still find WSS overrated and derpy since the ratio to “proper” (read = actually doing re-enactments out in the field without burgers at hand's reach and are not going down Saturday Morning Cartoon Villain caricature route) re-enactment to just walking around in camouflage and “roleplaying” is easily 642632854353243753632453906843295093142134230:1 against the proper side. Of course if you want to re-enact (or rant about) ASS or just do the whole thing wrong of course, that's another story and I sincerely doubt is the primary purpose of this thread.

Oh, and of course it tends to attract folk you'd rather not see in re-enacting circles as well.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 02:55:05 pm by Completenoob »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 24, 2013, 03:03:35 pm »
Agreed,thats an issue one of the groups p North has ,AGS ,,we stay away from them as some are suspected of actually being NS , and some even seem to be the 14/88 type,if u know what i mean, but my group is good ;) u deal with them as they come,and we stay away from them

your right about the size ratios too,,and many do join due to the camo

on another note i tend to find the Nap Reenacting community more "friendly" to people from other periods too
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 03:05:34 pm by zac »

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2013, 08:10:42 pm »
if were going to have a discussion about reenacting the SS then people who arent reenacters scram. Go make a thread in the main historical forum.

I can see why you'd want to re-enact the Waffen-SS; Bigotry and segregation seem right up your alley.

...was actually employed by the US to sanction the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagaski even though the Japenese were about to give up but the message was "never received".

Japan had no intention of surrendering and was preparing to repel the invasion of Honshu and Kyushu right up until the end of the war. They had repeatedly refused Allied demands to surrender and had made it quite clear that they would never surrender while they could still fight.

Operation Downfall (the planned invasion of the mainland) was estimated by the Allied command to cause half a million American deaths and between five and ten million Japanese deaths. The entire populace would be hostile to the invaders and they had been strongly encouraged to fight (they even raised a corps of armed civilians that wound up numbering over 28 million. Like the Volkssturm, they'd have died in enormous numbers), not to mention the sizeable armies still in Japan. It would have been an absolute blood bath. The 200,000 or so deaths caused by the atomic bombings seem scant in comparison.

The Atomic bombings may have been among the worst things Man has ever had to do, but they saved millions of lives. To claim that they were equivalent to Nazi war-crimes is ridiculous.

Basically every wartime army in history has committed crimes against humanity. The difference is that the Waffen-SS was an armed political group who were officially tasked with committing war-crimes (among other things. I do realise they were soldiers that fought proper). I don't know of any other such group that is widely re-enacted. Napoleon's army may have committed war-crimes, but does anyone re-enact a unit that killed as many civilians and POWs with official sanction as the Waffen-SS?

Hypotheical millions that do not exist, at the time the war was already won. American and allied forces had pretty much freed china as well as the russians entering the conflict ... it was at an end for the Japenese and they sure as hell knew it. With Americans already on the close and the bomb finished there was still no live test as yet, thus the bombings commenced which ended the war but ONLY because it was already ended, the Japenese could NOT counter attack at all they had no fleet, they had no air force, their man power was dwindling quickly on the isolated islands.

So these hypothetical "Millions" is absolute crap and you know that for a fact, there was going to be no counter attack at all there was no-where viable to attempt to. The Bomb drop was a live test and nothing more to see the devastation it would cause AND evalutate the long term effects of such on a populace, the war was just a "Reason" behind it when clearly there was no war at that point.

Japan was a floating siege works, there was no-way in or out by sea thanks to intensive mine laying, its like if the Germans had dropped an atomic bomb upon Leningrad during the siege ... its not just at all, its just a means for a test and a way to stop attempting of a landing upon japan and cause further losses to the forces.

It was far from Saving Millions at all ...

Warcrimes are only put to people who have lost a war, have you ever noticed that?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 29, 2013, 12:34:45 am »
Warcrimes are only put to people who have lost a war, have you ever noticed that?

Bullshit. At first, yes, but we now know about many Allied warcrimes.

Docm is right - The allies were not going to let Japan off, and that would have resulted in a bloodbath. As much as the nuclear bomb was terrible, it saved both Allied and Japanese lives.