Author Topic: Reenacting the Waffen-SS Discussion Thread  (Read 10294 times)

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Reenacting the Waffen-SS Discussion Thread
« on: June 22, 2013, 02:42:02 pm »
Here is the place to discuss reenacting the Waffen-SS in Reenacting.

Let the Battle begin  ;D

« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:45:40 pm by zac »

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
Re: Reenacting the Waffen-SS Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 02:42:08 pm »
You aren't german right? So I think you have no right to judge. Im sure you have no idea what you are talking about ;)
I do not think I have ever seen a worse argument in the history of mankind. My nationality doesn't matter the slightest bit. Any German man could easily be more ignorant than me on this subject, and considering the phobia held by Germany regarding WW2... Easily more delusional.

Those soldiers killed their own People, which did not follow the nazi orders.[citation needed]
So, guys who dont live in Germany have no idea about the real meaning of the SS or about the crimes, which were made by SS soldiers (there was not a single SS Division/unit, which wasnt making war crimes against civilians).
You are looking for their pretty decent uniforms.. and foreign guys are wearing that uniform with proud it seems. this is the real shit and those guys don't think about that! ;)
Yeah yeah... Non Germans obviously know nothing of German history. At least according to you. You say all SS devisions commited crimes against civilians, well let me tell you something: There was not a single military devision that saw action during WW2 in urban areas that didn't commit "crimes" against civilians. Rules change during war, and the real criminals in terms of civilian casualties were the bombing pilots.
The SS were normal men, just like you and me. Just like Ivan from the east and Johnny from Yankeeland. They were soldiers like any other and just followed the bloody orders they were given and act under stress like humans do.

Ohh yeah, in case I didn't make it clear enough already: Please for the love of God, don't tell us we are not allowed to have opinions about German soldiers, about WW2, simply because we are not German. Because that is fucking stupid. Also veri rasis!!!!!111

Are you sure that all SS units committed war crimes? I though the Waffen SS was supposed to be Germany's "elite" infantry in ww2 (I know they where the one's to do most of the Jew killing). And I think that's what people want to resemble and there nice looking uniform. also I don't think it's right to be mad about it regardless since then you would be mad at every movie having ss in them it doesn't make any sense. People are way to sensitive now a days -_-
It was the German elite infantry. It was supposed to be a "united" European elite fighting force, but the elite had to slack a bit on their demands as the war progressed and towards the end nearly anyone without any serious handicaps could be taken in.

You are right though, serious "war crimes" were not commited by all, of course. The idea is quite absurd... And again, yes. The Gestapo worked as the secret police and had quite a reputation for being violent and brutal (often with a fatal end for their targets). Those were not the men doing door to door conscription though.

The WaffenSS members were often seen as complete idiots and absolute radicals by other german soldiers. Often they didn't fight as elite but as senceless suicide commands as the Volkssturm. For example an SS-Officer ordered his men to advance to an village hold by russian MGs in a proper line in marching pace....
The SS did most of the warcrimes, hunted jews and germans who still had an normal mind as Hinkel already told you.
And your point is?

Spoiler
well,,while i agree with all you've said i still believe the Waffen SS,not the SS, are a legitimate part of history and can therfore be reenacted,if u doing tlook  back and accept that what happened was int he past, i can guarantee anyone that the same will happen again, this has gone way off topic and im sorry for that, The Waffen SS btw was never designed to be a "german army" but a European army, and in war ALL sides committed atrocities, the USSR is now proven to have wiped out alot more than the Nazi regime, in all honesty, recent studies have shown that the WH committed its fair share of atrocities too,and the NKVD,and the Red Army when it entered Berlin, and the Americans. Now that doesn't make it right, but the fact that it happened, should i not reenact the British in the Nap wars due to what happened at Badajoz? The fact is many people over here at least, Polish/german immigrants who have moved to Australia, Seem to see the SS as the same as the NKVD etc,so we stop people reenacting certain soviet units? No.

History is history,if we like it or not, and trying to forget it we will ALL regret it in the end.

On another note some States down here are trying to ban redcoat reenactors at events,due to the "massacres" of locals back the in the late 1700's,,so ye someones gotta play the "bad guys"

If wanted, i will make a waffen SS section inthe Reenactment discussion area later, so we cannot clog up this thread

p.s. stuff grammar,its early here ;)
People can reenact the SS if they want, as long as they acknowledge what they did. Somebody has to play the bad guys, you can't censor them out or people will forget.
[close]
<333

Also Zac, pls make seperate thread.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 02:46:05 pm by zac »

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 05:07:23 pm »
Its like freedom of speach. I may not agree with what your portraying but you have the right to do it.
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Mekkil the Graet

• Donator
  • BACK AGAIN
    • View Profile
    • nApoleonic wArs!111
  • Nick: nApolenic_wArs!111_Dev_Mekkil
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 05:37:39 pm »
But... I just wanted a general discussion thread... :(

Ohh well... How many (ww2 themed) reenactments have you partaken in, and do you have some pics?

Its like freedom of speach. I may not agree with what your portraying but you have the right to do it.
Put forwards your views then, mein liebsten.

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2013, 06:55:07 pm »
I've been considering reenacting the SS since there was a great looking unit near me. the 2nd Pionier Battalion - 5th SS. I mean come on, Wiking and pioniers? Badass.

I do acknowledge the war crimes, and I do agree that not all SS did war crime. I believe 10th SS had a clean record. But I decided to go with Fallschrimjaeger or Heer. For the sake of my family. I dont feel like dealing with them.

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2013, 11:41:03 pm »
Only problem I have with SS reenactors are the pretty high collection of farbs they draw in because of their "uhleet soljurs ov da rike" appeal.
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Docm30

• First Lieutenant
  • Retired.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 01:53:31 am »
I really can't imagine why any one would want to re-enact such awful people. If it's just the fancy uniform then all that does is make re-enacting look even shallower an activity than it's usually viewed as being.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 03:29:48 am »
this will sound ignorant and stupid, but i reenact them because i want to,that's it, stuff everyone else. Ive been doing it for 2 years and the public,and many WW2 etc veterans, seem to have no issue after u explain the difference between the multicultural waffen SS and the allgemeine SS. Many seem to have more issue with reenacting certain Russian units.

The best thing ive learned as a reenactor, is not to care about peoples opinion. (i understand how this sounds)

and Mikkel ,do u still want a general discussion thread?

Only problem I have with SS reenactors are the pretty high collection of farbs they draw in because of their "uhleet soljurs ov da rike" appeal.

so true, so true. But seems to be a bigger problem in the US for varied reasons.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 03:38:41 am by zac »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 05:27:44 pm »
I leave for Waterloo for two days and this happens. Can't I leave you guys alone for a while.

And for this subject! Of all things! Like anyone is going to give way...useless discussion.

Offline Bluehawk

• Sergeant Major
  • чекмень - шаровары - шашка
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 06:09:10 pm »
Making generalizations about the distinction between the Allgemeine and Waffen-SS isn't entire helpful either. If the token member of the former does nothing all day but stamp "annulled" on marriage certificates because one of the spouses is half-Jewish, he has much cleaner hands that the token member of the latter who may be a rapist and executioner between frontline duties.

A unit is as good as its record, not its collar tabs.

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 06:54:05 pm »
It's not like the re-enectors actually support or encourage the SS and what it stands for.
Only thing Riddlez knows is that quite some SS Soldiers were quite respectable, military speaking.

Why not? WW2 is literally decades ago, it's not from this time that you go on bickering if it is right to remembers and sometimes even respect all the sides of the war. As said before, Conveniently, the Russian won the war too, so many people tend to forget THEIR crimes of war.

this will sound ignorant and stupid, but i reenact them because i want to,that's it, stuff everyone else. Ive been doing it for 2 years and the public,and many WW2 etc veterans, seem to have no issue after u explain the difference between the multicultural waffen SS and the allgemeine SS. Many seem to have more issue with reenacting certain Russian units.

The best thing ive learned as a reenactor, is not to care about peoples opinion. (i understand how this sounds)

Wel said, well said indeed

Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 06:56:25 pm »
Still, why would you want to re-enact a unit of cowards who betrayed their country and voluntarily supported the Nazi Regime?

Offline Riddlez

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Riddlez
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 07:07:28 pm »
Still, why would you want to re-enact a unit of cowards who betrayed their country and voluntarily supported the Nazi Regime?

Why would you want to re-enect a country who in all history books are cowards who ran at Waterloo?

Who would want to re-enect a country that keeps saying they won their own revolution?

Probably one of the very few old-timers here who hasn't been a regimental leader.

Offline Kator Viridian

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 07:19:05 pm »

*face desk* The answer would come down to it "Why not?" much the same as "Why would you re-enact a bunch of belgian cowardly seperatist movements?".

Lets take Napoleon ... happily set people to their death for the sake of "Democracy" ... well "Imperialism" but same difference right? dosn't make him any less of a charasmatic tactful leader. The same would go for the SS divisions where killing civilians in "Opposing countries" was actually employed by the US to sanction the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagaski even though the Japenese were about to give up but the message was "never received".

A political state of mind does not entitle you well ... to a title put on you. I voted conservative last election in the UK, does that make me a ponce who trots around in suits? nope it still makes me a working class scumbag ... if only the dreams of politics would make me richer with a single vote ... curse you!

The problem is "They lost", if you lose its not sanctified ... the German nation lost the war thus "Murderers!" but the bombings on civilian sectors during the Gulf war AND WWII by the US "Tactful". Dosn't make any sense.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 07:27:00 pm »

Why would you want to re-enect a country who in all history books are cowards who ran at Waterloo?

Who would want to re-enect a country that keeps saying they won their own revolution?

Darkness falls across the land, the vengeful Dutchman is close at hand

Duuring comes in search of blood, for commenting something you never should