Author Topic: how do you clean a civil war musket?  (Read 4142 times)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
how do you clean a civil war musket?
« on: April 09, 2013, 08:04:54 am »
Im going to start cleaning my 1853 enfield for the first time but im confused on how to go about it. What materials do I need and what order should I do things?
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 08:15:34 am by zac »

Offline Jocam

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
Re: how do you clean a civil war musket?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2013, 09:57:50 am »
Not that I have xp with it, though  I know a technique applied to cannons, wich could work just as well for muskets:

Have a nice sturdy brush, and a bucket of water, pour some water down the barrel, and begin scrubbing it, then pour the water out.
Of course the first time the water is very dirty. Just continue doing described steps, until the water is clean when you pour it out.

Then it's clean

Though I dont know if this is a good idea for cleaning muskets.

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
  • Oh, I'm a good old rebel, Now thats just what I am
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2013, 01:45:24 pm »
i can very well help you but this is what you will need to do this: musket cleaing kit, nippie wrench and cleaning patches.
http://www.regtqm.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=70 linkey to a good site.

first i like to pour warm water down the barrel with the nippe coverd. then pour it back out. this way its much faster to clean.  then take the assembled ramroad from the the cleaning kit and put the wire head on and ram down patches until barrel is clean.

to clean the nipple and the area from the nipple to the barrel. you use a nipple pick. and the nipple wrench. to take of the nipple. and use the pick to scrap out the gunpower.

i hope this helps you. this is how i do it.
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: April 09, 2013, 11:32:42 pm by munk »
Spoiler
Welcome to FSE hun. Enjoy your stay on s.s. Duuring. Lifeboat is to be found on upper left corner as "log out". We wish you enjoy the journey. Thank you for choosing Dutch Sea For your vacation.
[close]

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2013, 10:55:09 pm »
Yeah What Munk said pretty much what I learned from my Captain. And the link from 2nd Fla is useful.

Offline darthrobocop

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 87th_Foot_Capt_DarthRobocop
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2013, 11:22:35 pm »
i find after an event use some black powder solvent when you get back home. makes the process much easier.

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2013, 11:25:01 pm »
to clean the nipple and the area from the nipple to the barrel. you use a nipple pick. and the nipple wrench. to take of the nipple. and use the pick to scrap out the gunpower.

Heheheh. I learned today that there was a bit of a (caplock?) musket called a nipple.

I can't stop laughing.

Still, this has been an informative thread.
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2013, 11:26:47 pm »
You stinking peasants with your fire-arms! A true man only needs his sab- Wait? What are you saying, Corporal, sir? We had carbines at Waterloo?

Can I just say this thread will be very helpful? Thank you my infantry comrades!

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2013, 11:33:40 pm »

Heheheh. I learned today that there was a bit of a (caplock?) musket called a nipple.

I can't stop laughing.

Still, this has been an informative thread.

now as i read it over it does sound quite funny
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2013, 07:46:07 am »
I done goofed. Know the problem and its fixable but eerrr
Spoiler
[close]
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline HWMHall

• Captain
  • Military History Guru
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 87th_Foot_Fus_Hall
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2013, 08:32:23 am »
Hope this helps all of you Civil war guys ;D
Spoiler
Rule No.1 about cleaning your civil war weapon.  YOU MAY GET DIRTY!
 Have the proper tools. A cleaning rod for a .58 from Taylors an assortment of jags and swabs. A bottle of Hoppe No. 9 Solvent. old t-shirt or other old garment for patches and wiping down your musket. 3 in 1 oil ( use liberally on the outer part of the weapon and sparingly on the innards (i.e. use on the moving parts and just swab the barrel twice after she is clean.) A screw driver and nipple wrench for the CONE aka what the caps go on. Steel wool and a jug (gallon or two) of water.

No. 2 Don't lose parts. put all parts in a box and try to remember where they go.

No.3  Don't fiddle with the lock plate workings(Sear, Main spring, tumbler etc) unless you know what you are doing. If you think you fudged something up STOP relax put the items back in the box and consult a professional. Too many situations have gone from bad to worse from losing one's head about a bad situation.

No. 4 Take your time with each piece. go over the barrel first. If you want/must take the whole thing apart use your handy box and tools. It is best to water down the barrel when it is not in the stock so as to not harm your stock.
No. 5 Use a cap full of Hoppe's down the barrel first to help break loose the hard fouling. Take the cleaning rod and bore scraper and scrape the breech.  Next pour your water down the barrel with one finger over the Cone (Nipple for the farbs ) and fill it 3/4 of the way (note if you can use warm water.) after you put the water in the barrel put your thumb over the muzzle and slosh it about a bit back and forth then pour out the water in your bath tub or back yard your Sgt's tent..... BTW powder fouling does smell so keep that in mind. Repeat the watering process 2 more times.
No. 6 Take your cleaning rod and patch jag with a patch that is 2in by 2in and put some Hoppe's on it and swab the barrel. Next use clean dry patches until they come back clean. Then put on the oil swab for the .58 and apply the 3 in 1 oil and swab the barrel twice.
No. 7 Now that the barrel is done set it aside and take a oil rag and wipe down the stock especially where the barrel goes. Next apply some oil to your lock mechanism and wipe away the excess.
No. 8 Put the Musket Back together and do a once over with steel wool if needs be and oil then place back in the gun sock.
[close]

Offline munky-wunky

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2013, 01:46:32 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

opps  ;D

i should meation only remove the lockplate when your fully dissasembly the rifle, not when you just doing as standered  clean
« Last Edit: April 10, 2013, 02:23:10 pm by munk »
Spoiler
[close]

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2013, 01:54:35 pm »
next time im cleaning my bessy ill show u the flintlock equivalent of that ;)

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2013, 05:11:56 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

opps  ;D

i should meation only remove the lockplate when your fully dissasembly the rifle, not when you just doing as standered  clean
It wasent my intention to remove the lockplate. I thought the two screws on the other side of the gun were supoused to keep the barel in. I removed them know knowing they were supoused to keep the lockplate in. I was cocking the hammer  put it in half cock and the plate came out. The problem was the spring on the plate that gives the hammer the force somehow sprung up and knocked some wood out. All I need is the part that holds the spring down then it should be fine.