Author Topic: How to start off?  (Read 4116 times)

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
How to start off?
« on: May 23, 2015, 03:39:36 pm »
I'm not old enough to have a musket, not gonna tell you my actual age. :P

But I really want to do re-enactments. I will probably wait 2 or 3 years before I become one. Do you recommend becoming a musician by yourself? I have no-one to go with and it might be a bit.. scary? What do you recommend I do if I want to start off?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: How to start off?
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 05:47:54 pm »
First and most important question: Do you have a budget?

While re-enactment certainly isn't unreachable expensive, you're still will have to make some investments and it's extremely important to be aware of that.

Next:
- What period? (I'm gonna presume Napoleonics because you said 'musket').

- What side/impression? French? British? Prussian?

Once you've made your mind up, the only thing left to do is find a group that fits your interests and send them an e-mail. They'll be able to answer any practical questions regarding uniforms, specific roles such as muscians, etc.
We have a few British re-enactors here, so I'm quite sure someone will be able to help you.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2015, 08:19:40 am »
Ey up yeah just answer Duurings questions andI'll reply with what help I can when I can. At Cannon Hall at the moment doing an event lol

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2015, 12:37:01 pm »
I want to be in Napoleonic Era as British. I have seen a regiment that has caught my eye but they seem to be a very drilled regiment. They are also Light Infantry when I want to be Line Infantry.

http://www.68dli.co.uk/

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2015, 03:33:21 pm »
I highly recommend the 33rd regiment of foot, in my opinion the best redcoat unit in the UK. Well uniformed, best drilled (they're the only redcoats who actually manoeuvre) and they're all very friendly.
Just going home from an event with them at Cannon Hall. On a side note I got quite pissed last night at their camp as they had a party there with us French.

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2015, 06:36:28 pm »
Maybes in the future, thanks for recommending that regiment. My family doesn't have the money at the moment and I'm not sure I will be able to join either.

Offline Forest

• Second Lieutenant
  • God Bless America
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2015, 01:51:50 am »
It is intimidating approaching the situation at first, but once you join and become involved you will realize how nice everyone is. Reenactors can be some of the nicest people because they love that someone new is interested in what they are interested in.

Offline Mr.Mixtape

• First Lieutenant
  • Scheiße in der Toilette
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stWFI_A1_Gefr_Dietrich_Pels
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2015, 05:51:51 am »
Well I reenact and I'm not old enough to bear a musket so I am a drummer boy in the AWI and my advice is just go for almost everyone in reenacting are kind and are going to help.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2015, 08:44:09 pm »
Shameless plug from me, the 2/44th Fighting Fours are one of the best. Our Colonel is commander of one of the brigades of the army so is well informed of any upcoming events, we have a very good music section as well and our Colonel and his good lady produce most of the tunics and shakos for the regiment (you do have to buy them but we can lend kit where needed).
  With re-enacting it is best to find a regiment near you. The 44th is technically based in Essex although some of our members come from as far away as Bristol. For God's sake though don't join the 95th, everyone does that (they have been watching too much Sharpe!) which means that nearly half the Napoleonic Association is made up of the 95th Rifles! I am joking though, you'll have to see which one catches your eye. In the meantime I will direct you here (they used to list all the regiments but messed, sorry modified, the site up a while ago):
http://www.napoleonicassociation.org/
  To take part in Regimental events you have to have paid a fee to your regiment (mine is about £25) and then to take part in battles you have to be a member of the NA and be over the age of fourteen to go onto the field. To fire you have to have a shotgun license and to fight on the continent a European firearms license.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2015, 08:47:04 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Mr. Kochi

• First Lieutenant
  • Baah! Baah baah, baah? Baah baah!
    • View Profile
    • The Skin Warehouse
  • Nick: Mr. James Koach
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2015, 06:46:53 am »
You should take note that money, while an important factor, should not be a decisive one when it comes to whether you should or not start reenacting. Yes, stuff is expensive, but for the most part (at least in my own personal experience), as long as you show interest and are friendly to the unit you want to be with, they'll lend you enough gear to get you started.

Granted, you'll have to buy the basics (pants, shirts, maybe gaiters, shoes, etc), but the "harder" things can be bought later. Things like coats, shakos, cross straps, haversacks and canteens are almost always available in most groups.

The musket part isn't that hard, either. Idk how are things done in the UK, but in Waterloo 2015 I saw several units storing a decent amount of "fake" muskets, which were distributed among those who didnt have a real gun. Perhaps some of the groups there follow that same trend, and have one of those available for you.

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2015, 09:04:24 am »
I've already joined the 68th DLI as a drummer, but thanks for the help.