Author Topic: The Great Ocean Liners thread (Titanic, Lusitania etc.)  (Read 6601 times)

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
The Great Ocean Liners thread (Titanic, Lusitania etc.)
« on: July 17, 2016, 03:42:02 pm »
(note: I was half debating whether or not to start this in the historical section but decided to put it here since the historical section is more military based)
  One of my main historical interests outside of the Napoleonic Wars, the World Wars, the English Civil War etc. are the great liners at the turn of the last century, mainly the Titanic and the Lusitania but others are quite interesting as well.
   I wish to concentrate the discussion on the three great Olympic Class Liners (Olympic, Titanic and Britannic) and the two great Cunarders (Mauritania and Lusitania) but if people wish to expand this and talk about the other great liners of this era (the German liners for example) then that is fine.
  I will start with the Titanic. The survivors are long gone now but this interview was done back in 1957. Sadly some of it has been lost (the BBC had a deplorable policy of taping over or even destroying film once it had been broadcast) but a good portion is still there. The most interesting part in my opinion is with Harold Cottam who was the wireless operator on the Carpathia:

« Last Edit: July 17, 2016, 11:17:44 pm by Black Watch 1745 »
]

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Re: The Great Ocean Liners thread (Titanic, Lusitania etc.)
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 05:45:44 pm »
There might be more focus on militairy subjects, but this still belongs in the Historical Section.

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 06:17:05 pm »
^^ only likes Brit boats.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_submarine_K-19#Nuclear_accident
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Typhoon-class_submarine

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seawise_Giant
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Batillus-class_supertankers

Spoiler

[close]

Also the major ships that are used in the great lakes are kinda astonishing, those are huge ships that are dedicated to a life lake where the only countries ports they will ever dock at are either Canadian or U.S.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 06:21:55 pm by MarshalKim »
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 06:45:03 pm »
Erm, those aren't passenger liners. They are marvels of engineering though I will give you that.
(And thanks for moving it, it probably makes more sense for the thread to be here).
]

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
Massive job loss will take place, but if left allowed to, the market will adapt. I just don't want my job to be taken away from me, tbh.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 07:28:29 pm »
I have never heard of the SS Waratah till now. Amazing how it disappeared without trace and of course we will never know what happened to it unless they find the wreck.
]

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 07:35:56 pm »
I wouldn't be surprised if we never found out what happened, especially if its wrecked in antartica.

The ocean is a scary place and it's scary to think how we send some rust buckets out there that have inexperienced crews with expired licenses.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 07:45:50 pm »
One of the things with the Titanic was that it's crew was not experienced enough with launching lifeboats. Whilst most had served on other vessels, the Titanic was using newer Welin davits for the lifeboats (they differed from earlier designs still in use on other vessels). Even if she had had enough lifeboats it is doubtful whether the crew could have launched all the boats in time (they were still trying to launch the last two boats, Collapsible's A and B, when she started to make the final plunge). More would have been saved if there were more boats no doubt but even so, you need time and a crew that has clear instructions on what it is doing.
  The Lusitania is a prime example of what happens when there is little time to evacuate a ship. She sank in roughly eighteen minutes and got only a handful of her boats away successfully, not least because the ones on the starboard side swung away from the ship whilst the ones on the port side smashed into her hull.
]

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:05:42 pm by MarshalKim »

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2016, 03:24:29 am »
Wasn't there something fairly recently with an abandoned ship full of rats coming close to the UK?

With the Titanic it is amazing how beautiful her interiors were (note some of these are from the Olympic which differ slightly):
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
Spoiler
[close]
That last one is of the Turkish Bath's. That part of the wreck is actually quite well preserved (compared to the rest of the wreck):
Spoiler
[close]
]

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2016, 05:21:29 am »
The cannibal rat ship was debunked I believe.

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2016, 01:56:00 pm »
Here is an interesting one. The RMS Empress of Ireland:
Spoiler
[close]
She was on the north Atlantic run (Quebec to Liverpool) in 1914 when a Norwegian vessel, the SS Storstad, collided with her at about 2:00 in the morning along the St Lawrence River. The Empress of Ireland sank in about 14 minutes killing 1000 people out of the 1400 on board, most of the people on the lower decks drowning almost immediately.
WW1 broke out a few months later and thus the disaster went out of the news and, whilst I believe it is well known in Canada, it has become largely forgotten compared to other disasters such as the Titanic and the Lusitania.
]

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 03:44:35 pm »
Here is an interesting one. The RMS Empress of Ireland:
Spoiler
[close]
She was on the north Atlantic run (Quebec to Liverpool) in 1914 when a Norwegian vessel, the SS Storstad, collided with her at about 2:00 in the morning along the St Lawrence River. The Empress of Ireland sank in about 14 minutes killing 1000 people out of the 1400 on board, most of the people on the lower decks drowning almost immediately.
WW1 broke out a few months later and thus the disaster went out of the news and, whilst I believe it is well known in Canada, it has become largely forgotten compared to other disasters such as the Titanic and the Lusitania.

The Saint Lawrence river is a 20min walk from my place lol. I can see the bridge across it if I get on my roof and i've never heard of this.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2016, 03:48:43 pm by MarshalKim »

Offline Black Watch 1745

• Captain
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2016, 01:24:32 am »
Yeah, as I said it is largely unknown now, overshadowed by the war which broke out later. Amazing how it sank so fast although I beleive they did not have time to close the watertight doors and some passengers had left their portholes open meaning water rushed in.
Here is the SS Storstad (the ship that hit it) just after the accident.
Spoiler
[close]
And an artists intepretation of the RMS Empress of Ireland's wreck today:
Spoiler
[close]

One interesting story I came across was of the Olympic, sister to the Titanic, ramming and sinking a German U-Boat in 1918, the only civilian ship to sink an enemy submarine:
Spoiler
[close]
]

Offline MarshalKim

• Captain
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2016, 03:37:22 am »
One interesting story I came across was of the Olympic, sister to the Titanic, ramming and sinking a German U-Boat in 1918, the only civilian ship to sink an enemy submarine:
Spoiler
[close]

That's hilarious.