Author Topic: Let's discuss: Reenacting!  (Read 233913 times)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
Re: Let's discuss: Reenacting!
« Reply #1830 on: October 17, 2016, 07:14:39 pm »
For me the battle was very fun. Even tho we are fusiliers we were put into a voltigeur company and it was great fun. These guys suck at marching in a line tho. But whatever, the light infantry combat made up for their crappy line movement and discipline.

Overall the event was great. We woke up early on saturday, teamed up with some other guys and marched out to the battlefield at 8am. We were supposed to meet a group of Saxons somewhere in the villages and woods around it and we searched them for a while but we couldn't find them, so we decided to just go the place we were supposed to meet up with the rest of our battalion and wait for them. For some reason they arrived like 2hours late, so we had a very very long wait, but still it was fun.

Also best part ofc. was throwing apples at the 2nd KGL. Screw you Wolff.

Offline Cara

• French Language Moderator
  • Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #1831 on: October 17, 2016, 07:30:14 pm »
For me the battle was very fun. Even tho we are fusiliers we were put into a voltigeur company and it was great fun. These guys suck at marching in a line tho. But whatever, the light infantry combat made up for their crappy line movement and discipline.

We had english speaking people in our voltigeurs peloton, were you the ones (center of the formation) marching too fast during the conversions ? However we had great fun firing from the dike and at the end charging the back of the prussians :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 07:32:15 pm by Carabino »

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
« Reply #1832 on: October 17, 2016, 07:35:42 pm »
Haha, were you the ones not able to march in step at all? :P :P :P :P

Yeah we were moving quickly when forming line to front.

The biggest problem though was the french lady to my left which somehow always cannot count distance steps and ends up on the other side of the planet.. :D

Offline Cara

• Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #1833 on: October 17, 2016, 08:22:51 pm »
Sure she is doing canteen usually, and some are too old to follow I agree ! But it doesn't change the fact that you have to stay aligned with the guides at left :) For my part, I don't have a problem with marching in step, i've been doing that in the military for 2 years

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #1834 on: October 17, 2016, 08:45:16 pm »
Sadly, Jena was just way too far away from me. How many did you say were there? 800?
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: October 17, 2016, 09:17:59 pm »
No, if you order a left or right wheel, then you stay aligned with people. If you order to march from column into line, then you just move with a slightly faster step, not caring for the other people around you, until you reach your destination, and then you address to the left or right, depending where the guide is. If you were to keep aligned with the people to your left and your right, you would never be able to reach the final position in one easy go. (But if I find my book, I will also look that up, just to be sure that I am correct)

Additionally, if you say "turne" (or however you spell it) then you run as fast as you can. At least as far as I know. I wanted to look it up sometime this week (Because I am really not sure about turne), if I ever manage to find my book... Other idea might be that you use turne when you are in battalion, but it does not make much sense to me.

Wheeling is the easiest thing in the world, if you know how to do it. Look outside, push inside, keep touch.

Alignment is also easy, but for some reason there are always people that think that they just have to touch the guy to the left or right and that this is all they need. It is not. If you align to the right or the left, you look left or right and move forward until you can see the belly of the rightmost/leftmost person. Additionally you also keep touch with the guys to your left and right.

We followed the guide to the left, but the fucking retard always went so far ahead that we had to get into superposition with the officers in front of us, which is sadly not possible for us, because we are not living in the world of quantum mechanics.

And then for some reason, our officer kept forgetting to give orders when we were marching in line. We just had to assume what we were supposed to do.

In the end we ended up just repeating all orders we could hear as loud as we could, because neither our sergeant nor our corporals did it. Apparently there was a sergeant standing somewhere behind Vince. He did nothing. This is not how it works.

To sum it up:
Guides are there to keep the distance between different pelotons, to walk straight and to keep the line together. Corporals and sergeants repeat commands when they are given, so that everyone can hear them. They also do not randomly stay around in the line.
When in battalion, officers give commands. The soldiers in the peloton should not have to listen to the chef de battalion, but only to the officer commanding the peloton. 
When you get the order to move out, you move out with the ordinary step (unless commanded otherwise) and not with some arbitrary step you made up in your mind. Additionally you do not randomly change your step while marching. It makes no sense and serves no purpose.
If you get the order to do a wheel to the left, but the officer concludes with "forward march" you march forward. It is not the soldier's problem, that the officer made a mistake. If he makes a mistake, he should learn from it.
If for some reason, you end up in a different file (in my file) and you just decide to stay there for a shot, move forward. DO NOT FIRE YOUR MUSKET RIGHT AT MY EAR. Next time I see that guy, I will stab him in the face.
If the guide is the left, and he pushes slightly left, then you give in and push the person to your right to your left. You do not push back. Otherwise you will end up squashing anyone in the center.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2016, 09:20:47 pm by Olafson »

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1836 on: October 17, 2016, 09:37:09 pm »
I'm really hoping we will have a bugler for our Prog batallion at Walldürn. Skirmish with 60 guys and a bugler? Yes please.

Offline zac

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: May 17, 2017, 10:32:36 am »
Pfffff, 'Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 120 days.'

So Englanistan and the Democratic Federal Peoples Republic of EurostanreichSSR fam, anyone know if Waterloo reenactment on next year?

Trying to work calendar thingy around and looking at some time between Aprilish-Junish. Have to visit family on the Isle of Man (Yes my ancestral inbred home island), but as might be easier was also just considering the Ickworth House event and sneak into the 21eme lines with an outrageously bad aussie/english/french accent... anywhom, Uk folk, suggestion of a good event with peoples the merry and many?

All depends on Masters work but thx anyway!

Yours truly,

Her Majesties Loyal Austrianalian New South Welsh man/attack chopper/non binary cannon fodder <3

~Now back to Gin and Assignments I go, adieu mon kameraden
« Last Edit: May 17, 2017, 10:57:36 am by zac »

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #1838 on: May 18, 2017, 09:47:25 pm »
Ickworth House is a great event, it's usually a medium sized events where us young-middle aged members attend without the officers who're still hibernating in April.  If you're coming April-Junish then May also has great events, if Hole Park is on next year again in May that's gonna be the biggest UK reenactment that year.

Offline Barnesy

• Donator
  • Heres to the bloody fighting 95th
    • View Profile
  • Nick: its_barnesy_bitches
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1839 on: May 30, 2017, 09:54:34 am »
Ickworth House is a great event, it's usually a medium sized events where us young-middle aged members attend without the officers who're still hibernating in April.  If you're coming April-Junish then May also has great events, if Hole Park is on next year again in May that's gonna be the biggest UK reenactment that year.
100% on Ickworth, it's a great event, Saturday skirmish is usually way better than the Sunday in my opinion.
Haven't made Hole Park yet, last year I was on holiday, this year I moved house! Although it's also a good one to go to as well. If the site sponsors are happy once again, then I can't see why it wouldn't be on next year
Haven't heard anything about Waterloo 2018
"[15th] Colonel Cenkris: A lazy officer who didn`t contribute anything to the success of his detatchment or the regiment disposed of after displaying incredible disloyalty and attitute problems towards fellow officers"
Aww thanks Cenkris for those kind words
Ex Leader of the 15th Rifle Detachment

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
« Reply #1840 on: June 11, 2017, 11:11:08 am »
21eme has a new Facebook page run by me and the other young members of the unit, gently taking control of the technology from the dinosaurs ;)

https://www.facebook.com/21emeLigne/

Offline Cara

• Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #1841 on: June 12, 2017, 01:45:47 pm »
21eme has a new Facebook page run by me and the other young members of the unit, gently taking control of the technology from the dinosaurs ;)

https://www.facebook.com/21emeLigne/

Nice :D

Same for us : https://www.facebook.com/18edeligne/

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: June 12, 2017, 02:01:13 pm »
Speaking of which: https://www.facebook.com/110thPennVol/

Nearly a 100 likes!  ;D
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 02:02:48 pm by Duuring »

Offline Cara

• Language Moderator
  • Former IVe_AdC
    • View Profile
    • TFD
« Reply #1843 on: June 12, 2017, 02:17:04 pm »
Nice trenches  :D

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: June 12, 2017, 10:22:05 pm »
Plebs. Both my Pages are over 120, and the 1916 page doesn't even have good images. In fact it has quite bad images...
I need to get this stuff more up to date and get better images and text... We barely update them. I guess it could be a good way to find new recruits.

https://www.facebook.com/conscrits1812/
https://www.facebook.com/85eme1916/