Author Topic: Issues with Artillery Emplacements on the current maps  (Read 3272 times)

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
  • Always shoot the officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Angry Piper
  • Side: Neutral
Issues with Artillery Emplacements on the current maps
« on: February 18, 2014, 11:28:46 pm »
I thought I should start a thread about this and see if other artillerists are feeling the same way. This mod is great and I personally really like the new Howitzers and use them whenever I can. However, what I have noticed is that:
a) there are very few maps which actually have any howitzers
b) Their positioning on many of the maps makes them very ineffective/ very limited target area
c) The distribution of guns per team is very uneven. Some maps only 1 team will have howitzers at their spawn. For instance on the War of Trenches Map one team starts with 2 Howitzers and the other team only 1. So this is a clear disadvantage and if the team with 2 can shoot with any sort of efficiency they can keep the other 1 Howitzer out of the game.

So it really would be great if their placement/ distribution could be looked into. Or even introduce a way to move them (though I heard they are scene props rather than reskins of NW cannons, is that right?) There is also the fact that every now and then the ability to function howitzers seems to dissapear for a minute or 2 before returning.

The other main problem which causes problems is a lot of the howitzers are placed right next to spawns and with the way they fire people really don't look where they are going and this results in a lot of Tk's which is bad for the players and the admins who can't tell if it's trolling or deliberate. I have been kicked 2 or 3 times already because some muppet has wandered infront as I fire causing the shell to explode over the friendly trench immediately infront and so mass TK's and the admin assumes trolling before I can even type Sorry in chat.

I hate to be so negative but I really hope this can be taken as constructive criticism and be used to improve the artillery positions on maps. I hope to get some screenshots of various arty positions to emphasize my points.

Thanks, and great mod!

Offline FAULTYscotsman

• Second Lieutenant
  • Jacobite by Name,
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FAULTYscotsman
Re: Issues with Artillery Emplacements on the current maps
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2014, 12:39:20 am »
Hmm for a WW1 mod I think artillery is a bit scarce.

On Some maps I think there are too few artillery.

I may make a few maps when there are a few more artillery . If I find out how to that is :P
« Last Edit: February 22, 2014, 12:49:24 am by FAULTYscotsman »
a port will save a mans life, a rifle will only keep it safe

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2014, 01:11:11 am »
It'd be nice if there would be light field gun pieces and more of the fixed artillery in some of the maps too yeah.

Offline Eatjello

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2014, 05:16:36 am »
I feel the same way but lucky for me I know how to mess with the map editor im going to me moving stuff around all the maps I use for my events :-)

Spoiler
Best map making thingy I have found
http://forums.taleworlds.com/index.php?topic=228008.0
[close]

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2014, 08:39:25 am »
It would also be nice if they could rework the way you aim cannons to make it more understandable because the line cross hair is useless because if have to aim well below where you want to shoot in order to hit it and that's at medium distance.

Offline FAULTYscotsman

• Second Lieutenant
  • Jacobite by Name,
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FAULTYscotsman
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2014, 03:23:06 pm »
I feel the same way but lucky for me I know how to mess with the map editor im going to me moving stuff around all the maps I use for my events :-)

Spoiler
[close]

I know how to edit for NW but for IE I cant seem to find any WW1 props :/,

Maby im looking good enough :P
a port will save a mans life, a rifle will only keep it safe

Offline MadManYo

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MadManYo
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2014, 10:04:19 pm »

Spoiler
[close]

I know how to edit for NW but for IE I cant seem to find any WW1 props :/,

Maby im looking good enough :P
They are called ie_(name)

Offline Angry_Piper

• Sergeant
  • Always shoot the officer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Angry Piper
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2014, 05:07:30 pm »
It would also be nice if they could rework the way you aim cannons to make it more understandable because the line cross hair is useless because if have to aim well below where you want to shoot in order to hit it and that's at medium distance.

Well for the cannons I agree it makes no sense to have to aim at the ground underneath you and have the cannon graphically aiming downwards in order to hit at medium/ close range. But the one that I really am finding hard to get the hang of is the mortars, where you aim and where it visibly points seems to be wildly different.. or is it just me?

Offline Xanderman

• Donator
  • Victory through incompetence. Old 7th guards rifle
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Alexander
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2014, 06:48:51 pm »

Well for the cannons I agree it makes no sense to have to aim at the ground underneath you and have the cannon graphically aiming downwards in order to hit at medium/ close range. But the one that I really am finding hard to get the hang of is the mortars, where you aim and where it visibly points seems to be wildly different.. or is it just me?
The mortar aim system doesn't work, the angle of the mortar bomb will keep moving no matter where you aim, until it reaches either the lowest angle of trajectory or the highest angle of trajectory I have yet to see the mortar bombs trajectory stop somewhere in the middle.

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 06:36:09 pm »
Mortars work fine for me, aim the crosshair roughly at the target and you're grand

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
  • Royal Engineers Commander and IE Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 02:34:35 pm »
Guys I don't think you are understanding how the artillery works. :P I spent a while with them and have figured out how to make them work perfectly and it makes perfect sense! What you do is use the sight on the actual artillery themselves. The first line on the cross hair will be on the bottom sight for short range. The middle sight for medium range, the top of the arty for long range and then for really long range to place the top of the sight on the ground of where you want to aim. It is really easy when you get the hang of it and I will be making a video on it soon and will post it here how to be an expert of the arty.