Poll

Cavalry

Shooting from horse back, reloading on the move!
26 (52%)
No shooting from horse back, no reload on the move!
13 (26%)
Another solution?!
11 (22%)

Total Members Voted: 50

Voting closed: February 22, 2015, 12:01:45 am

Author Topic: Cavalry in NaS 1.0 [discussion]  (Read 15793 times)

Offline Incognitoandahalf

• First Sergeant
  • DA Cavalry Corp Fuehrer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Incognitoandahalf
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Cavalry in NaS 1.0 [discussion]
« Reply #60 on: May 08, 2015, 05:00:45 am »
Well since we are all about history here I feel that we should let the facts stand. Each confederate cavalryman was required to acquire his own mount and was paid 40 cents a day for her maintenance and purchase (I say her because stallions are NOT recommended from a cavalry standpoint. They tend to get a bit... frisky and feisty). While this system resulted in a number of loopholes that enabled men to escape duty the overall care of the mounts fell to the soldiers and men having immense equestrian experience could patch up a wound on their mount; not absolutely everyone of course but at least a few in each squadron could.

Ulysses S. Grant was an excellent horseman from his days in West Point was never allowed to ride into battle because he abused a mount, this sums up the Union attitude to mounts quite nicely. Union mounts were, especially in the beginning of the war, god awful. Riders rarely had experience being chosen mainly for their physical stature and despite the pleas of those officers who knew what they were doing a veterinarian corp never sprang up. Massive amounts of mounts were lost to neglect and abuse with inexperienced riders taking the reigns and finding themselves in over their heads.

So if you ask me the superior horsemen (the CSA) should be able to patch up their mounts with a specialized rider. This wont break the game as they ride light horses that can easily be dispatched with a single shot but will highlight their mounted talents and help offset the equipment advantage the Union has in general.

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 09, 2015, 12:13:38 pm »
Hoorah! No more shooting off horseback rule!  :D

Offline DarthTaco

• Major
  • Modding merc at your service!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 09, 2015, 03:21:38 pm »
While I like FOH it get's abused SOOOOO much due to ingame mechanics. You wind up with everyone being an officer running around derp horsebump revolver spamming and then tell everyone else to "get gud scrub".

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #63 on: May 10, 2015, 10:37:25 am »
While I like FOH it get's abused SOOOOO much due to ingame mechanics. You wind up with everyone being an officer running around derp horsebump revolver spamming and then tell everyone else to "get gud scrub".
Agreed.

Offline Napoleon23

• Corporal
  • Colonel, 36th Virginia Infantry
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Napoleon
« Reply #64 on: May 13, 2015, 07:58:58 pm »
Well, I agree with you, Cavalries are made to be like that! irl, they did use guns on horsebacks, even indians did. I mean they should allow FOH, because this is how it realistic, no matter how "OP" is it, then be more opper :D
I love to see cavalry used as historically as possible. I think they should eb allowed to fire from horseback and pull out the sabre and cut some heads!
Onward! For Old Virginia!                                   https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=379080363

Offline turanafon

• Sergeant Major
  • TRNC - Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JudgeY
  • Side: Union
« Reply #65 on: May 17, 2015, 11:55:00 am »
Yes its not fair to say all the inf can keep shooting at cav, whilst we ride and ride towards them with our swords held high.
We should be able to retaliate with our rifle without dismounting.
UA-Eagle Brigade-Staff_Adjutant_Ichabod_Crane

https://imgur.com/a/CQ8Uzv3

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 17, 2015, 12:14:54 pm »
In a certain server, cavalry has to dismount.
What's the point in cavalry then? >:(

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 18, 2015, 05:41:45 pm »

The glory days...

Offline Incognitoandahalf

• First Sergeant
  • DA Cavalry Corp Fuehrer
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Incognitoandahalf
« Reply #68 on: May 19, 2015, 01:40:38 am »
Well, I agree with you, Cavalries are made to be like that! irl, they did use guns on horsebacks, even indians did. I mean they should allow FOH, because this is how it realistic, no matter how "OP" is it, then be more opper :D
I love to see cavalry used as historically as possible. I think they should eb allowed to fire from horseback and pull out the sabre and cut some heads!

Cavalry rarely ever used those paperweights called sabers. Confederate command felt they were outdated and Union command soon saw the advantage of mobile firepower over death charges. IRL as well the only weapon being fired off horseback was the pistol most cavalrymen carried with them, carbines were highly unwieldy and were difficult to fire even when dismount, let alone on a half ton hunk of flesh. A major issue was that the report of a carbine was much louder thanks to a single exit point and much more powder compared to a pistol, causing mounts to buck their riders already strained by the high recoil and for this reason carbines were rarely used from horseback.

Offline Painmace

• Donator
  • I'm not active in Mount & Blade related stuff
    • View Profile
    • Imperial Black Legion Homepage
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #69 on: May 22, 2015, 01:52:44 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

The glory days...
Damn that was a long time ago   :o kinda miss destroying as cav

Offline turanafon

• Sergeant Major
  • TRNC - Turkish Republic of Northern Cyprus
    • View Profile
  • Nick: JudgeY
« Reply #70 on: May 22, 2015, 03:02:47 pm »

Cavalry rarely ever used those paperweights called sabers. Confederate command felt they were outdated and Union command soon saw the advantage of mobile firepower over death charges. IRL as well the only weapon being fired off horseback was the pistol most cavalrymen carried with them, carbines were highly unwieldy and were difficult to fire even when dismount, let alone on a half ton hunk of flesh. A major issue was that the report of a carbine was much louder thanks to a single exit point and much more powder compared to a pistol, causing mounts to buck their riders already strained by the high recoil and for this reason carbines were rarely used from horseback.

But they were still used :)
UA-Eagle Brigade-Staff_Adjutant_Ichabod_Crane

https://imgur.com/a/CQ8Uzv3

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 22, 2015, 05:42:35 pm »
Spoiler
[close]