Poll

What are you looking forward to the most in NaS 1.0?

The new uniforms and classes
86 (57.7%)
The new sounds
8 (5.4%)
The new environment and scenes
22 (14.8%)
The new props
6 (4%)
The replacement of all CSA officers with Manny Calavera from LucasArts' Grim Fandango
27 (18.1%)

Total Members Voted: 148

Voting closed: June 01, 2015, 11:56:54 am

Author Topic: North and South - First Manassas 1.0 [in progress]  (Read 267404 times)

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
  • Side: Union
Re: North and South - First Manassas 1.0 [in progress]
« Reply #1590 on: May 23, 2015, 07:51:41 pm »
People need to also realize that reenactments are actually not that far off from the real deal as far as atmosphere goes. Unless you're a 100% purebred Scandinavian with raw-ass viking blood, you're not going to go bloodshot eyes mode, especially with a bayonet. On the flip side, you aren't going to turn into the stereotypical French-fencer and delicately dance your dagger into the fronts of your foes. As goes with any war, you need to remember that the soldiers were pretty, well, human. They get up to the frontlines of a battle, know that within the next couple of minutes they may be killing men or coming close, or they may be killed or come close, and would react appropriately.

And especially in the exaggeration of the ACW example, there's going to be a LOT of variation in how fighting ends up happening. Perhaps this is not the best example, but imagine the opening scene from Lincoln, where the Colored Infantry groups are fighting the Confederates mid-storm, and how random the action was.

For that reason, the randomness, it would be most appropriate if the animations represented that. Clearly there can only be one up attack, one down attack, and so forth, but in those single animations it should be shown something pretty... neutral. That's why I loved the NW animations (though the up attack was a bit ridiculous, especially after the melee nerf years ago when the game became terrible), because they were just "yeah, I guess that's how I'd stab with a bayonet."

I mean, it's a bit exaggerated, but that's good. Remember that this is a video game, and public appeal still matters.

Offline JohannGustavsen

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 1stMN[B]Cpt.Wilfried
« Reply #1591 on: May 23, 2015, 09:26:15 pm »
Spoiler
People need to also realize that reenactments are actually not that far off from the real deal as far as atmosphere goes. Unless you're a 100% purebred Scandinavian with raw-ass viking blood, you're not going to go bloodshot eyes mode, especially with a bayonet. On the flip side, you aren't going to turn into the stereotypical French-fencer and delicately dance your dagger into the fronts of your foes. As goes with any war, you need to remember that the soldiers were pretty, well, human. They get up to the frontlines of a battle, know that within the next couple of minutes they may be killing men or coming close, or they may be killed or come close, and would react appropriately.

And especially in the exaggeration of the ACW example, there's going to be a LOT of variation in how fighting ends up happening. Perhaps this is not the best example, but imagine the opening scene from Lincoln, where the Colored Infantry groups are fighting the Confederates mid-storm, and how random the action was.

For that reason, the randomness, it would be most appropriate if the animations represented that. Clearly there can only be one up attack, one down attack, and so forth, but in those single animations it should be shown something pretty... neutral. That's why I loved the NW animations (though the up attack was a bit ridiculous, especially after the melee nerf years ago when the game became terrible), because they were just "yeah, I guess that's how I'd stab with a bayonet."

I mean, it's a bit exaggerated, but that's good. Remember that this is a video game, and public appeal still matters.
[close]

Well going berserk is an amazing feeling one time when doing some SCA/H.E.M.A practice one of my friends drove me to become berserk. After I came out of that state I had 2 broken fingers and my friend was on the ground like a small child.

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1592 on: May 24, 2015, 01:37:24 am »
At the end of the day when you're faced with a horde of screaming rebs you're going to do what you've been drilled in. Units that piss about swinging their rifles like clubs etc. find themselves on the back foot in very short order. It's exactly the same with rifle drill, it all becomes muscle memory and your body goes into autopilot when combat starts.

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1593 on: May 24, 2015, 01:45:21 am »
I'm speaking from a game-design standpoint. You can't have one animation for the Union troops, another for the Confederate, another for the French, British, Mexican etc., because of the engine's limitations. Thus, you have to meet at some agreement as to a "neutral" animation, that "works" for everyone.

Offline Captain America

• Second Lieutenant
  • One realm, one God, one King!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1594 on: May 24, 2015, 02:00:57 am »
Yeah wasn't criticising what you said, was criticising the fella who thinks it was all some mad wrestling match with a bit of MMA thrown in

Offline Wigster600

• Major General
  • "Oh shit." - Wigster600
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Wigster600/John_Cooper
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #1595 on: May 24, 2015, 12:29:09 pm »
Bawmp
I was thinking more along the lines as having the British Rifle as it's own type of weapon, allowing you to add different animations to it compared to the other muskets.  :P

Well, there are basicly just 2 types of weapons: Muskets and pistols.. each share a different animation.
You can't actually add the british rifle as an own weapon with a new set of animations. Otherwise we would have different animations/reloading for carbines/breech loaders.. :)
Well how did Wilhelm get different animations for bayonetted/unbayonetted firearms for his mod Blood & Iron?
[close]

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1596 on: May 24, 2015, 03:41:27 pm »
Spoiler
[close]

Offline Arkansan

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #1597 on: May 26, 2015, 04:39:03 am »
Just curious if there is any recent news on 1.0 release? Last thing I recall seeing was the bandage system or something was holding it up. Thanks  :)

-Edit- Nevermind I found where someone just made a thread on it for some reason. Thanks for the reply to that Parrot and we understand.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 04:42:36 am by Arkansan »

Offline JohannGustavsen

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1598 on: May 26, 2015, 08:59:27 pm »
Yea there hasnt been much info released for a week. Hows the development going?

Offline Hinkel

• Board Moderator
  • Confederate Commander in Chief
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gen_Hinkel
« Reply #1599 on: May 26, 2015, 09:37:44 pm »
Yea there hasnt been much info released for a week. Hows the development going?

Yesterday:

Parrot: I'm very busy at the current time, and I had hoped that the mod would have been released before I lost pretty much all my free time. So unfortunately the mod will have to wait a bit until I get time to work on it. However, once I'm free I'll be back on the job like no body's business.

Offline JohannGustavsen

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #1600 on: May 26, 2015, 09:56:07 pm »
Ohhhhhhhh tehee

Offline Napoleon23

• Corporal
  • Colonel, 36th Virginia Infantry
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Napoleon
« Reply #1601 on: May 26, 2015, 11:40:03 pm »
Ohhhhhhhh tehee
   That will be 20 lashings for your wrong doing!
Onward! For Old Virginia!                                   https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=379080363

Offline Ambiguous

• Lieutenant General
  • Lieutenant of the 92nd
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 92nd_Lt_Ambiguous
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1602 on: May 27, 2015, 01:08:20 pm »
The Screens for 1.0 look sick Hinkel, keep up the good work :)

Also was nice to see you as a Dev at the Union Army Saturday Event :)

Offline Malkolm R. Lind

• Major
  • Why do drugs when you can listen to music?
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Illya
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #1603 on: May 27, 2015, 02:09:29 pm »
The Screens for 1.0 look sick Hinkel, keep up the good work :)

Also was nice to see you as a Dev at the Union Army Saturday Event :)
lel

Offline KillerShark

• First Lieutenant
  • THE KillerShark
    • View Profile
« Reply #1604 on: May 27, 2015, 03:06:17 pm »
I can't wait for everything to be so balanced  ;D
Former: 29th CSjt, 12th Cpl, Nr37 Kpl, 21eme SoD, 18th LtCol, 1stMN/64th SgtMaj, 23rdPA SgtMaj, 45e CplFo, 78th ESO, 29th Capt, 57th Kgm, LG Fus, 71st Cpl, 34e SoD, 2ndQF LCpl, LG Uffz, Nr4 Gmnr, 98e SoD, 75e Fus, 18e FusV, 47th Grd, and 21st Pte.

Self Proclaimed best movement key player NA