Author Topic: 'How could a mod die so fast' - It's not.  (Read 8445 times)

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
  • Side: Neutral
Re: How could a mod die so fast
« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2014, 04:16:30 pm »
As soon as I saw that avatar I recognised this sorry character for the troll it is.
Just ignore it. It's complaining about things it wants in a mod which it is privileged enough to be allowed to play for free, which I think pretty much sums up the amount of attention we should give it.

Grimsight does have a point though. The nature of having an fps game which is based on the fps aspects rather than the melee means that there's practically no skill involved. That alone doesn't make it not fun to play, but it does mean that people won't be putting in the same kind of hours that people do in NW.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2014, 04:26:28 pm »
Let's nitpick the devs first. You have a mod that isn't completely finished or polished, so that really struck the playerbase hard. It can't be perfect though, especially at first. Ample time must be given in order for it to be okay. Remember, it is a MOD. I thought it was fine and playable. 100 man events were fun. :)

The playerbase though...my God. Everyone wants instant gratification.

Oh wait, IE came out today? What factions? Germany and Fran---fuck where's UK, give it now. I am not playing until it's out. I want moooar mooar MOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAR

That is the problem.

Ever heard of the phrase 'Too Many Cooks In The Kitchen'? well, basically this is the reverse of that situation. The Kitchen is Warband incredibly hard to navigate and laid out really badly (most of the stoves facing away from the wall knives and forks all plastic the sink linked to the sewer system) and the few modders who can actually code are the harassed over worked badly paid cooks doing it simply for the love of cooking.

The customers (players) of course don't simply appreciate the fact the cooks actually manage to make a pretty nice Club Sandwich. They want a Club Sandwich that is triple mega stacked and looks like something out of Scooby Doo. And they fucking want it now mate. And it has to be a certain type of bread OR THEY ARE NEVER GOING TO EAT OUT EVER AGAIN. And for those who don't mind eating out at Papa Warband/NW sometimes the cost of driving there (price of Warband) or getting a reservation (price of a solid 200 slot server) hinders them. Oh, and the fast food joint that is Warband is awkwardly crammed in an alley way between two massive giant mall complexes callled Modern Multiplayer Games and Modern MMO Gaming.

So yeah. It kind of sucks really. Other two faction mods have been hit with the same fate. I suspect a lot of it is to do with either the fact they don't have THE BRITISH as a faction in this Anglophile community or the melee system doesn't give fanboys a weird raging hard on like the (terribad) MM one did.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2014, 04:30:25 pm by SeanBeansShako »

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 04:45:34 pm »
So yeah. It kind of sucks really. Other two faction mods have been hit with the same fate. I suspect a lot of it is to do with either the fact they don't have THE BRITISH as a faction in this Anglophile community or the melee system doesn't give fanboys a weird raging hard on like the (terribad) MM one did.
I disagree about the presence of the British faction being make or break for the mod. If there wouldn't have been performance issues on release day, then it would have kept going a lot longer with full servers. For the first week the official servers were at full population constantly. However, getting kicked 3 times in 5 minutes does get old. To be honest, the devs couldn't have known about the performance issue though, as the vast majority of the beta testers never actually showed up. If we'd have gotten some proper stress tests in earlier, the servers would still probably be full as we discuss this now.

And about the melee system not giving "fanboys a weird raging hard on", well, that's always been the attraction to the series. It's like the Assassin's Creed series. as they progress forwards through history, you get more towards guns and more away from what the series started as. Not that it's necessarily bad, but you've got to realise that you're going to lose some of the original fans.
Same deal with IE, getting away from melee provides for a very different game. Personally I like it a lot, but you can't argue that it is very different from NW. It's something I like to play alongside NW, but it isn't a replacement by any means. Again, it's just for a different audience. I do really hope that it gets it's population back though, as it's a lot of fun :D

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 04:54:58 pm »
I'm pretty certain if the UK was in the mod there would be a bit more interest myself, as when WW1 is usually brought up in pop culture it is always the British fighting the Germans. Plus I expect in the old Reserveration thread for regiment there is quite a bit of Brit/Commonwealth themed regiments.

Well now they released an update, might be time to start hitting your friends lists and giving the mod another go in the event scene.

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
  • Royal Engineers Commander and IE Dev
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2014, 05:12:19 pm »
The fact that the mod has been dead for a month now, and only now a patch has come out, doesnt help

Also, ive been ridiculed.. called a troll and all sorts of names simply because i questioned why the surrender animation wasnt included despite it being the first suggestion.

Ive been given every insult under the sun because i dared question it, when in fact there is no actual explanation, its laziness.

You insulted the devs, this is a little more than "questioning"...

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2014, 05:23:52 pm »
Ignore him, he's clearly trolling and if he bothers the Iron Europe developers again the report button exists for a reason.

AeroNinja

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2014, 05:26:55 pm »
Ignore him, he's clearly trolling and if he bothers the Iron Europe developers again the report button exists for a reason.
+1

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2014, 05:51:00 pm »
I agree. As for the this idea of the game needing no skill I find this to be wrong. The whole point is to use ww1 tactics, ie scatter with arty then send waves. I see very little of this as people just send less attackers than there are defenders, and that doesn't even count for the fact most time the people close their eyes and run without using the environment, numbers or weapons to their advantage.

Also, the point of the game is to recreate the battles from ww1, much like NW. This means no front line instruments, people shooting rather than firing one shot then preparing for close combat, and people actually not complaining that they are camping in a trench... I find this much more exciting than the mindless drone sat in a line listening to "Left face, right face, fire a shot that has not accuracy and prepare to get slaughtered by a guy spinning around like a drugged up mad man". I myself am a arty man myself so close combat was never really my thing and I felt like it was over rated, but I see in this game that close combat is still important when used in events. Many times I have had my pistol out firing as people come into the trench and obliterate me. Also the Urban events are a lot of fun as well as they require a lot of skill when you are in a squad and everyone has their own role to play in order to hep win the battle. This is the stuff I love about the game and people can't see that it is now NW.

I also find with NW that the aim and achievements was not how well you played but it was finding a good community and fighting for a regiment you loved! And from this your reward was ranking up and even eventually starting to give your own orders, which we would see a lot more in ww1, especially now you are allowed to use some initiative and not just blank out and listen to every command with not other thoughts... Isn't that why they produced the Victorian Cross and Iron Cross?

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2014, 02:39:35 am »
I wonder how Red Orchestra 2 is doing...
The first modder for NW.

Offline Skyfall

• First Lieutenant
  • Wow Im unbanned :D
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2014, 12:21:31 pm »
Well, personally i think that the problem of this mod is the concept.. The mod is pretty good but imho m&b is not a shooting game.. Yeah, we have musket in NW, but they are as (or les..) important as melee. That's the problem..the game is not made for shooting from long range, the best part of m&b is the melee combat system, if you made a mod where this is not supposed to be used.. Well.. It's just a bad idea because you're not using the best part of the game. Moreover you didn't introduce nothing really new about community. So, the mod is nice and big events are fun, but there isnt anything that keep you playing it.. Yeah sometimes it could be funny play it with friends or make 1-2 events per month, but nothing more.. Sorry, I'm not insulting you, and I'm not flamming, this is just my personal opinion, and some of my reg's friends agree with me, so I hope you will introduce something that will keep the mod alive, something new and different, that's how you can save your work

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 31, 2014, 05:12:25 pm »
I wonder how Red Orchestra 2 is doing...

Man I loved that game, the clan matches were fun... just nothing new happened to it ever, like not even new maps! This games has potentially a billion maps due to players like myself and it gets updates!

Offline Betaknight

• Major
  • To Protect and To Serve
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Betaknight
« Reply #26 on: March 31, 2014, 05:35:17 pm »
I don't completely agree with Uranus,
We did bring new "stuff" to the community, the community of NW,
Unlike many games out there, you are not able to use artillery, you don't play in trenches, you don't get to have more than 64 players in a server, you don't get blow the whistle, destruction is barely in any game, you don't get to have different ranks, you don't get to use even a bayonet (with exception of RO2).
We (In my mind) have brought something that was not possible to the Warband engine, I agree, the game main view is melee, but we thought to bring shooting as well and attempt at melee , with our specified raider units. Yes there are quite a few bugs around but we're work on it.
Nothing to keep you playing? Then the mod might not be that interesting for you, that's ok.
As you said this is your opinion. And so this is mine. :)
(expecting Rigadoons counter argument soon)
But Thanks for playing!

Edit: If you think there is something we could add to keep it interesting do not hesitate to suggest, we are open for it :)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 05:38:28 pm by Betaknight »
The first modder for NW.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 31, 2014, 05:42:48 pm »
If you go into any mod set after the Napoleonic Wars with the assumption that the melee is going to be any way balanced and just as fun as the shooting mechanics you are going to get burned.

The people really into the era suspend their disbelief and have as much fun as they can even if the shooty side of the Warband engine is rubbish.

Offline lolman1c

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 31, 2014, 06:58:14 pm »
Unlike many games out there, you are not able to use artillery, you don't play in trenches, you don't get to have more than 64 players in a server, you don't get blow the whistle, destruction is barely in any game, you don't get to have different ranks, you don't get to use even a bayonet (with exception of RO2).
We (In my mind) have brought something that was not possible to the Warband engine, I agree, the game main view is melee, but we thought to bring shooting as well and attempt at melee , with our specified raider units. Yes there are quite a few bugs around but we're work on it.
Nothing to keep you playing? Then the mod might not be that interesting for you, that's ok.
But Thanks for playing!

Edit: If you think there is something we could add to keep it interesting do not hesitate to suggest, we are open for it :)

This is why I love you guys! Even if this mod does die for some unusual reason I still had more fun even in the small regimental events than I have had with most games, never mind ww1 games! What you brought to the engine as changed every ones perceptions and I hope that this follows the path of M&M and will get popular when you feel comfortable with it.

Offline Skyfall

• First Lieutenant
  • Wow Im unbanned :D
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #29 on: April 01, 2014, 08:30:29 am »
But Thanks for playing!

Oh well I have been a little bit misunderstood ^^ when i said that you didnt give anything new to the community i wasnt talking about your technical work: you did a great job introducing a lot of new mechanics, some of them are still in development, but that's nice.
By the way i was thinking about the community topic: IE would be much better if you could organize, for example, a sort of historical campaign when two teams fight against weekly in the most famous battle of german-french war.. It's just an example but it could be great.. Moreover you could split the community of IE in two equal sides, french and german, then build a sort of roleplay visual(not playable) map: this "map" should be dynamical, split in a lot of sectors, and the regiments will fight in the sectors for conquer them.. For example: the first and the fifth german infanterie regiment fight against the 22e and the 1er french regiment for a sector on the belgian border, meanwhile other regiment are fighting in the south of france. After the linebattle you could update the map, changing the position of the regiments and giving the sectors to the nation that hold them.. The goal is conquer a determinate sector or something like that...
A map like that maybe  http://endabrukh.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/alsace-lorraine-detail-map.jpg (with also germany obv) and there will be obviously a linebattle with some regs for every battle on the sectors of the big map.. Its not easy, but its possible to organize..
well it's just an example, but an idea of persistent event is, in my opinion, very nice and will keep people playing and enjoying the mod, because they are involved in a great and dynamical war..I hope (but i don't think) to be clear.. The point is that the mod is nice, you are making a good job, but you should invent something new about events, because duels and groupfighting are not good for this mod, and just linebattles and sieges dont seem to be enough..

Sorry for my horrible english, i can write it in italian and then maybe danyele could translate it if you don't understand what i wrote xD