Author Topic: Historical Food/Cooking  (Read 11780 times)

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
  • Nick: FSE_Olafson
  • Side: Union
Historical Food/Cooking
« on: August 20, 2014, 09:27:21 pm »
Does anyone know where that Historical Food/Cooking is? I can not find it anymore. Anyway, since I can not find it anymore, lets make a new one.

I just received all kinds of cooking gear for our Napoleonic Wars impression. We should be able to to everything on our own now, and do not depend on other peoples pans and pots.. :P

Also, in terms of cooking, I am wondering. What do you guys do at events? Do you try to cook with historical equipment only, and historical foods? For example, only with food that has actually been issued to the soldiers back then? Or do you just cook all kinds of stuff, including modern food, and food that was not issued to people back in the day?

Do you cook on the fire, using pans, or other equipment or do you use modern camping gear? Do you cook at all?

Now that we have the cooking gear, I want to cook as much on the fire as possible. I want to cook some accurate stuff, i.e. stuff only made out of the actual soldiers rations, but what I also would really like to cook is some period accurate stuff. Which means that it is accurate to the timeframe we have chosen to portray, but not all of the food might have been available to the common soldier.
What really bugs me sometimes is that while the 85e is cooking on the fire, using old pans etc., the group is not trying to cook anything that is remotely period accurate. When I am cooking for myself I would like to cook period accurate stuff. There are so many nice recipes that you can use, that taste great and are easy and fast to make. And tbh., the soldiers rations aren't too bad either. Whats wrong with meat and bread, right?

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Mortier
Re: Historical Food/Cooking
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 09:37:44 pm »
For the moment I'm not in the period camp so use gas cooker and cook whatever I want lol.

But my plan is for lunches at the period camp, I'd have some cheese, bread, french sausage and maybe some ham.

For the French, really we could cook and eat anything we wanted that was available back then because the French lived off the land and either bought or eh "commandeered" food and livestock from the locals.

Bread and potatoes were the most common food rations, rice was given too, so could make some potatoe and something stew or something.  Beef, pork, cheese, theres quite a variety of food you can have as a Napoleonicer really, it depends on what you want I guess

So for breakfasts I'd still have some bacon, egg, sausage etc, not sure what I'd have for dinner in period camp, not gotten that far yet.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 09:47:25 pm by Mr T »

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 09:57:34 pm »

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 10:16:25 pm »
https://www.youtube.com/user/jastownsendandson

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKNGPMefJ_A[/youtube]

This one seems very useful. I'll probably make me some sort of stews and such when I'm in the period camp.

Offline Millander

• Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2014, 04:51:19 am »
I admit I'm not very authentic when it comes to cooking. I'm a vegetarian so I don't eat salted pork and spence I'm in cross country season I don't want to go on a weekend long crash diet so I throw allot of fruit and vegetables in. I definitely loose weight at events.

Once my season is done I'm going to try legit marching rations. It's not all about the food itself allot of the authenticity is about amount. I think the average French fusilier on campaign ate pretty lean even compared to civil war soldiers
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 04:53:52 am by Millander »
Of course, I also think lines should be able to move in double rank without having emotional breakdowns.

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 08:59:01 am »
It depends on the supply and ration situation and what the soldiers did with their rations, for example for the Waterloo campaign the French were given four days worth of bread and half a pound of rice, however a soldier was most concerned about the weight of his backpack so many discarded the rice and other rations to lighten the load, and after Quatre Bras many soldiers were left to fend for themselves after many provisions had been lost with the 1st Corps baggage when this baggage was panicked by the sudden arrival in the day of retreating Cuirassiers of Kellerman's brigade who'd been routed at Quatre Bras. So the men of 1st Corps had lost a chance to fight a battle and their provisions and had to find what they could in the area.

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 12:10:14 pm »
I guess pillaging, or buying food that has not been issued can always be portrayed and explained. If you want to display a typical soldiers meal, but still want a bit of variety you can always add something that they might have gotten from somewhere else, I guess.

And yeah, I saw his videos, they are great. I think their stuff, pans etc. is also pretty great, shame he is american. Delivering to europe is a bit problematic...

Offline Landrik

• First Lieutenant
  • Слава Україні!
    • View Profile
    • Infanterie-Regiment 208 (Reenacted)
  • Nick: Landrik
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2014, 01:13:31 pm »
I do like "Iron Rations". It comes with a can of mystery meat (could be a can of either chicken, pork, fish, or something approaching SPAM) and some pretzel crackers. The Ersatz Kaffee sucks though. That shit's gross as fuck. I don't even like regular coffee, but yeah. It's a whole 'nother beast being all grainy and shit. For a pick-me-up I prefer Scho-Ka-Kola by far.

Spoiler

[close]

But a hearty pea soup, sauerkraut, or a make-shift bread, sausage, cheese sandwich is great too. Also, Leibniz crackers!

DUURING TRIGGER WARNING: Contains HJ
Spoiler

[close]
Humans are extremely complicated creatures. Death uncomplicates them to a frightening degree...

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2014, 05:02:40 pm »
Mr_T, what do you mean with not eating in the period camp? There's no universal cooking 'thing' in the 21e?

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2014, 05:12:51 pm »
Historical cooking is a term my unit's cook doesn't know.

Our standard food schedule looks like this:

Fri Eve: Hamburgers
Sat morning: Bacon and Eggs
Sat noon: Soup
Sat Eve: Chicken with rice
Sun Morning: Bacon and Eggs
Sun Afternoon: Soup

Oh and it has become a standard in my unit that I bring and prepare some sausages for around the campfire at nights.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline Ililsa

• Major
  • This knife of Sheffield steel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Retired_Ililsa
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2014, 05:59:07 pm »
We do some amazing stews (I've probably mentioned this before) based off recipes our authenticity guy has. Though we're not doing them at the moment because the ingredients are actually pretty damn expensive to get to feed people on bulk.

So for the next show which I'm off to tomorrow it's gonna be

Friday evening: Pot noodle.
Saturday morning: Bacon and sausage!
Saturday lunch: Ham, cheese, bread, fruit.
Saturday evening: Pot noodle, joy.
Sunday morning: Belvita (other brands are available) biscuits with honey and yoghurt in 'em.
Sunday lunch: Same as saturday
Sunday evening: Oh boy, pot noodle.
Monday morning: Whatever's left of the belvita.
Monday lunch: More ham, cheese, bread and fruit.
Monday evening: Gorging self on chinese and then having a shower and sleeping in my own bed again, hell yeah.

Monotonous eating doesn't actually bug me at all, but I'm hoping people are gonna make runs to the nearest McD's so I can just buy a pile of cheeseburgers and save on the pot noodle horror.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2014, 06:08:04 pm by Ililsa »
Crawling back to you,
Ever thought of calling when you've had a few? 'cause I always do.
FUCKING MEDIEVAL HIPSTERS

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2014, 06:12:26 pm »
Your pot noodle sounds like my Rice and chicken. I know that feel, bro.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline DeoVindice61

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • This blamed fight aint got a rear
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2014, 07:31:05 pm »
I do like "Iron Rations". It comes with a can of mystery meat (could be a can of either chicken, pork, fish, or something approaching SPAM) and some pretzel crackers. The Ersatz Kaffee sucks though. That shit's gross as fuck. I don't even like regular coffee, but yeah. It's a whole 'nother beast being all grainy and shit. For a pick-me-up I prefer Scho-Ka-Kola by far.

Spoiler

[close]

But a hearty pea soup, sauerkraut, or a make-shift bread, sausage, cheese sandwich is great too. Also, Leibniz crackers!

DUURING TRIGGER WARNING: Contains HJ
Spoiler

[close]

Bodo makes the best chicken in tin ever. Delicious. 

it was cat food. 

Offline Mr T

• Major General
  • Je Passe Quand Meme
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2014, 11:55:03 pm »
All this talk of period food and cooking actually makes me look forward for when I eventually get a period tent :D

Offline Olafson

• FSE Developer
  • #friendsforever
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2014, 08:13:48 am »
Yummy yummy cat food.
For WW2 btw, does your group provide the food or do you need to buy it at home and bring it with you?
Also, do you guys have this thing?

Spoiler
[close]