Author Topic: Tactics and Strategy Discussion  (Read 7962 times)

Offline Cpt.Griffin

• Private
    • View Profile
Tactics and Strategy Discussion
« on: August 26, 2015, 08:47:07 am »
Just as the topic suggests. Discuss tactics and strategies with your fellow members.

Here's some basic for Cavalry:-

Cantabrian Circle - Cavalry regiment(s) will attack an infantry formation and circle it; generally when mounted and will attack an enemy regiment that has formed a cavalry square, firing from horseback. If an intantrymen breaks rank, they are usually picked off by the cavalry. This formation can also be called "herding", as so because it is useful for herding infantry into an ideal position for a friendly infantry regiment to volley fire them.

Caracol Peel - Cavalry dragoons will fire from horseback then wheel away to the rear of the formation. It will continue in succession to allow dragoons to fire from range and constantly retreat. This enforces the rule of, 'Fire and Delay' - picking off infantry whilst keeping away from their effective range, or bayonets.

Hammer and Anvil - Can be done with infantry or cavalry regiments. An infantry regiment, usually the "Anvil" will bayonet charge an enemy regiment, and the "Hammer" of the attack, a cavalry regiment, will attack dead in the rear simultaneously or a few moments after. This means the enemy regiment is preoccupied and cannot face one regiment without losing the battle to the other.

To-And-Through - Your typical cavalry charge, but rather than remaining in a prolonged engagement with infantry armed with long bayonets who can shishkabob you or your horse, you charge in for one strike only, then withdraw immediately; keeping your speed up.

Offline Rhen

• Colonel
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Tactics and Strategy Discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 10:02:25 am »
> "Charge"
> regiment charges
> we decimate enemies
> team all proud of us
> enemy team cries

This is our tactic.

Offline Dokletian

• Brigadier General
  • unironisch
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Dokletian
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 02:06:23 pm »
 Nr3 op :P
Can I just say that I’m really impressed with the cav community, 10x more mature than the inf community and a lot less tolerant of the cancerous players

Offline Dokletian

• Brigadier General
  • unironisch
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 4e_Huss_Dokletian
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 02:07:08 pm »
But thats a nice discussion theme ;)
Can I just say that I’m really impressed with the cav community, 10x more mature than the inf community and a lot less tolerant of the cancerous players

Offline Rastignac

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 03:06:20 pm »
Sometime in the past, I have prepared a couple of cavalry tactics for 27e "Les Canards" Hussars regiment, but unfortunately we disbanded before we could train them properly.

I publish them here without any fear that they could be used without my permission, because only regiment with majority of members able to think and perform orders beyond basic three commands of follow/stay/charge could ever perform them and we all know such cavalry regiment doesn't exist.

I. Bec de Canard

One of most well-known formations is the wedge, a V letter turned upside down with officer on the front, rankers forming as if being his "wings". My idea is to turn the V upside up, as if to create powerful bec de canard that will eat the enemy.

How we do it?

1. We form a straight line with officer in the middle and trying to face the approaching enemy officer.
2. The officer starts counting. At "1" last man on the right and last man on the left go forward to charge in straight direction (without any significant movement to right or left. At "2" the new last-on-the-side pair does the same and so on. The officer goes last, if number of our regiment is even, he creates a pair with last ranker.
3. We charge trying our best not to let the formation loose. Being close to the enemy, le bec is closing to swallow it's prey.

II. Cutting of the tail

I've noticed that sometimes, when both sides are not eager to charge and there are some maneuvers going on before it happens, we often pass the enemy group in parallel. It occured to me how we could act in this situation, whether it comes off as random or intended by us. We could cut off enemy's tail.

1. We form two columns behind the officer.
2. As we are in parallel with enemy and the officer is already close to passing them by, the column on the side closer to the enemy is bursting in in front of the last 3-4 enemies, not aiming to kill them but to stop their horses (blocking instead of attacking).
3. The other column naturally has to make a wider arch so they get behind the stopped enemies in the right time to kill them as they are helpless.
4. Then we procede to charge with a fine starting advantage in numbers.

III. Stunned sheeps

This one if to be used against infantry and possibily against large groups of it that we can't defeat. It's a hit what you can and retreat strategy. Of course it doesn't work when the infantry gets to fire at us.

1. We form a checkerboard double-line, as in image and charge the enemy infantry, attacking it's flank, NOT the middle.
2. In the crucial moment the front line is pressing Crlt+J.
3. The second line doesn't press it and cuts down the first wave of infantry, then retreats on the side and behind to join up with the first line (which didn't attack at all and moved back instantly after stopping).

The concept is that people being attacked are counting and feeling certain rhythm of enemies that approach them. If we break that rhythm in final stage of charge and make the 2nd line attack while the 1st will turn out to be fake assault, we will cause a lot of confusion in their heads, making them defenseless for few seconds (of which we should be able to make good use). I believe that the infantry on which we'd play this trick would have to be extremely quick-witted not to fall for it and we can safely assume that most of them are not such brighties.

Offline Cazasar

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 04:21:12 pm »
is this for glorias Infantry aswell ?
CAUTION: INTERACTIVE SCREENSHOTS NOT MEANT FOR MEDIUM EYES
Cazasar interacting with the boys
[close]
me and cazasar interacting
[close]

Offline Turin Turambar

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 05:59:11 pm »
The cantabrian circle became a running gag in our regiment after Rome 2 was released.
des is apsichtdliche Browokazion etzala ferstest du

Offline Von Bergen

• Best Kindergarten Teacher EU West
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
  • Nick: Jay Mc Lovin
  • Side: Union
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 07:16:03 pm »
The Prussian Storm/Advance:
This Infantry Tactic is used to get close to an enemy that already formed a line.
As your Line runs parallel to the enemy Line, as soon as they fired ( and on command of the Officer ), your soldiers turn left/right and run straight on the opponent.
For a perfect performance your line should of course be running parralel to the enemy again, as soon as theire 12 seconds for reloading are over  ;D

Offline Batraan

• First Lieutenant
  • Official FSE Judge, Jury and Exicutioner. Thx Gluk
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 00th_Vtrn_The_Fir_Darrig
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 10:21:17 pm »
Cannon ball catching. 00th's most famous tactic.

Or if we go arty, cannon drive by's.

Or distraction. That works surprisingly well.

By far my favorite is the "Chunay" tactic (just named it now). We yolo charge take one volley and RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!.

Offline Von Bergen

• Best Kindergarten Teacher EU West
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
  • Nick: Jay Mc Lovin
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 10:32:05 pm »

By far my favorite is the "Chunay" tactic (just named it now). We yolo charge take one volley and RUN AWAY!!!!!!!!.

Do you take anything in life serious? :D

Offline Batraan

• First Lieutenant
  • Official FSE Judge, Jury and Exicutioner. Thx Gluk
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 00th_Vtrn_The_Fir_Darrig
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 10:38:21 pm »

Do you take anything in life serious? :D

« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:41:28 pm by Batraan »

Offline Alexander

• Colonel
  • https://twitter.com/6motm
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 11:25:01 pm »
Thought we were going to have a discussion on in - game 1v1 tactics. Fuck me.
Former leader of NA's - 5th, 75th 
Former Lt of the 54th
Former CSjt of 71st
https://twitter.com/6motm
https://www.twitch.tv/motm

Offline Cpt.Griffin

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2015, 01:16:09 am »
is this for glorias Infantry aswell ?

Yes, it certainly is sir.

Thought we were going to have a discussion on in - game 1v1 tactics. Fuck me.

Good battles are fought and won not between 1 man, but between armies of men. And all armies need good officers with tactics and strategies to employ that win the day.

Offline TheRedRedcoat

• First Lieutenant
  • uhh
    • View Profile
  • Nick: u
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2015, 03:14:21 am »
Rast, I don't think the sheep one would work. When getting charged, infantry just holds attacks in order to de horse you. I think it would be just as easy to dismount the 2nd row.

Offline Rhen

• Colonel
  • Dieu et mon droit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2015, 09:44:29 am »
It wouldn't work because of the timing, the Sheep-thing. Secondly, commands must stay simple, definitely in any international community because communication can be a problem. And don't forget confusion, just one needs to **** it up and the rest will also be like "wat" After my experience, stick to simple commands when playing as cavalry. In 5 vs 5s (which the 8e respectively won) you can do a lot more because of the capability of the players; there you can go more into detail. But generally, in bigger events or large 1 vs 1s (15+ attendance), do yourself a favour and keep it simple. :)