Author Topic: Why the Casquette d'Afrique? (Foreign Intervention Discussion)  (Read 1635 times)

Offline LordAdder

• First Lieutenant
  • I LOVE the round things!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: John_Adder
  • Side: Neutral
I was playing around on the Beta for N&S and was checking out the Foreign Intervention faction (Nice addition)
I was just curious as to why the French units are given Casquette's d'Afrique?
Spoiler
It was a kind of predecessor to the Kepi
(A sexy hat, but not as sexy as a Kepi)
[close]

I know that you are placing the faction's story to a little bit after Bull Run, and would place it a few months before the French Intervention into Mexico.
But... Why the Casquette? The US Forage cap used during the Civil War was inspired by the Kepi, so why wouldn't the creators of the headgear not wear it?
Just questions to pick some brains, I don't expect the devs to fix this. I am positive they know their history, so I assume the reason they did this was to greatly distinguish them from the other factions.

Offline Parrot

• Board Moderator
  • Lieutenant Colonel - Equestrian Foreign Legion
    • View Profile
    • EQFL Homepage
  • Nick: ExParrot
Re: Why the Casquette d'Afrique? (Foreign Intervention Discussion)
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 06:34:16 pm »
It was kind of the iconic French hat at the time, and yeah it does make them look different to the other units :P It would be a bit boring if all the troops looked the same...
Check out mods I've worked on: Blood and Iron: Age of Imperialism, and North and South!

Offline LordAdder

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 06:48:40 pm »
I would say that both hats are iconic to the French. I imagine the Casquette as what was used to conquer Algieria and whatnot, and the Kepi for other French things. Like Mexico.
(I also realize that the faction is purely for fun since it has no historic relations)

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 11:42:14 pm »
I would say that both hats are iconic to the French. I imagine the Casquette as what was used to conquer Algieria and whatnot, and the Kepi for other French things. Like Mexico.
(I also realize that the faction is purely for fun since it has no historic relations)

The Caquette d'Afrique was also used by the foreign legion I think. It's also a cool hat :P

Offline LordAdder

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2015, 04:40:58 am »
Well, yeah since the French Foreign Legion is a part of the French military lol They didn't have really different uniforms at the time, maybe different Epaulette colors and different insignia's on their Kepis.
But yeah, I would really like to own a few hats which includes a Pre/Early WWI Foreign Legion Kepi and a Casquette  ;D