Author Topic: Light support artillery as a feature  (Read 3374 times)

Offline hardcorefreestyleboy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Yes the name is supposed to be RAINBOWLIKE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GERRY
  • Side: Neutral
Light support artillery as a feature
« on: May 19, 2015, 11:25:42 am »
I didnt really know where to put this so I put it here:

During a linebattle I noticed that NW lacks any kind of support artillery. In the Napoleonic Wars infantry and cavalry assaults were oftentimes supported by light and mobile artillery pieces- 4 pounder canons and other small guns. In the Russia Campaign for example Napoleon equipped every  infantry Regiment with a battery of 4 pounder canons for assault support. The only artillery in NW available are the very heavy 12 pounder canons and the even heavier howitzers. In linebattles these guns camp on the biggest hill for the entire round and bombard the map. But they can not be used for assault or advance support because they lack mobility and are extremely vulnerable when limbered.

In my opinion there should be an additional Artillery unit for NW which is basically the same as the already existing one but with 4 limber canons (which are much smaller and thus have smaller rounds and a worse accuracy than their big brothers) and with a mounted crew. The big advantage of these would be that they are much faster when limbered because the horse(s) have to pull less weight. The canons are also faster to unlimber and there wouldnt be recoil either because of the weight. This means that the canons can be brought anywhere much faster, can be deployed much faster and could also be fired much faster while not being overpowered because of worse accuracy and smaller rounds.

That would bring a whole new aspect to NW linebattles/events because there would  actually be artillery that is being pulled around on the battlefield instead of just camping on a hill. Imagine two lines firing on each other and  one side suddenly brings up their 4 limber to win the duel. That would make Linebattles and even Siege events tactically more interesting in many ways!

I know its just daydreaming because FSE doesnt update their DLC anymore but what do you think?
Gerry is butiful!!!

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
Re: Light support artillery as a feature
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2015, 04:19:34 pm »
I didnt really know where to put this so I put it here:

During a linebattle I noticed that NW lacks any kind of support artillery. In the Napoleonic Wars infantry and cavalry assaults were oftentimes supported by light and mobile artillery pieces- 4 pounder canons and other small guns. In the Russia Campaign for example Napoleon equipped every  infantry Regiment with a battery of 4 pounder canons for assault support. The only artillery in NW available are the very heavy 12 pounder canons and the even heavier howitzers. In linebattles these guns camp on the biggest hill for the entire round and bombard the map. But they can not be used for assault or advance support because they lack mobility and are extremely vulnerable when limbered.

In my opinion there should be an additional Artillery unit for NW which is basically the same as the already existing one but with 4 limber canons (which are much smaller and thus have smaller rounds and a worse accuracy than their big brothers) and with a mounted crew. The big advantage of these would be that they are much faster when limbered because the horse(s) have to pull less weight. The canons are also faster to unlimber and there wouldnt be recoil either because of the weight. This means that the canons can be brought anywhere much faster, can be deployed much faster and could also be fired much faster while not being overpowered because of worse accuracy and smaller rounds.

That would bring a whole new aspect to NW linebattles/events because there would  actually be artillery that is being pulled around on the battlefield instead of just camping on a hill. Imagine two lines firing on each other and  one side suddenly brings up their 4 limber to win the duel. That would make Linebattles and even Siege events tactically more interesting in many ways!

I know its just daydreaming because FSE doesnt update their DLC anymore but what do you think?

Too make it short: would be great, that's what I also want to be implemented
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 05:20:31 pm »
Unfortunately,I don't see such a possibility. FSE are busy right now there is a big delay on BCOF's release and people are complaining a lot about that alone.

Offline Von Bergen

• Best Kindergarten Teacher EU West
  • Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
  • Nick: Jay Mc Lovin
  • Side: Union
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:45:55 pm »
I think that this would be AWESOME and in fact, we dont need FSE for this. Just a modder who is really good at scripting :)

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 03:35:35 pm »
Indeed. But then you would have to contact FSE to implement it into NW.

Offline Von Bergen

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 04:24:28 pm »
Indeed. But then you would have to contact FSE to implement it into NW.

I think its enough too implement it in a server,  than everyone in the Server can play with it on this server. Would be enough for Events :)

Offline hardcorefreestyleboy

• Second Lieutenant
  • Yes the name is supposed to be RAINBOWLIKE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: GERRY
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 05:52:16 pm »
That cant be done server side. All event participants would have to install the mod themselves.
Gerry is butiful!!!

Offline Von Bergen

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 06:02:15 pm »
That cant be done server side. All event participants would have to install the mod themselves.

And how about just adding it to the game files of napoleonic wars?
Or is this what you ment to say? :D

Offline Moldplayer

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 19te_Pfd_Lt_McMoldy
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2015, 01:09:47 am »
Horse artillery (as it was called) would be a interesting feature to add. Shorter ranged guns but much more maneuverable.
Gott damnit moldy, my history page is never safe - 19te_Aussie

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2015, 02:25:40 pm »
FSE doesn't give a shit about you. they will never update NW. hell, I doubt they are even working on BCOF still

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2015, 02:35:21 pm »
Fair enough lol. But try to be less toxic about this matter on the FSE forums ^^.

Offline Von Bergen

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2015, 03:03:26 pm »
FSE doesn't give a shit about you. they will never update NW. hell, I doubt they are even working on BCOF still

At least there was one patch a few months ago xD

Offline Locust

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2015, 04:01:05 am »
Fair enough lol. But try to be less toxic about this matter on the FSE forums ^^.
no.

Offline Von Bergen

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The one and only
    • View Profile
    • 23rd Ts
« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2015, 09:07:01 am »
no.

*Shots fired* :D

Offline Nick Lazanis

• Donator
  • Sex,droga i Bodiroga.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2015, 10:53:39 am »
no.

*Shots fired* :D

More like light artillery hehe...