Author Topic: Sands of the Arena (combat-oriented roleplay)  (Read 4845 times)

Offline The J

• Corporal
  • King of the Wicked
    • View Profile
  • Nick: J
  • Side: Neutral
Sands of the Arena (combat-oriented roleplay)
« on: March 22, 2016, 09:43:56 pm »
Hello, and welcome to my new RP!

So, how's this going to work? This is somewhat similar to a "roll-to-dodge" game, though I'm inexperienced in such so I'm unsure to what extent it is.
Each of the players will make a character, with stats for various aspects of the character, as well as three abilities to make combat more than just "Hit. Miss. Hit. 2 damage. Hit. 1 damage." These will either be passive, or be active with a cooldown.
Each character will be placed into a fight against one another, potentially including several of my own, with the success of each move being calculated by yours truly. Fights will always be done initially inside a Titanpad, and then posted within the thread once completed.
Characters can be reused after death, as I intend fully for every fight to end with the death of one character or another.
The setting is a roman-style gladiatorial arena within a colosseum full of avid spectators.
Abilities are an alternative attack or a background effect that your character has, for example an attack with +1 power. These kinds must have a cool down. A passive ability might be that every third round they have +2 durability.

Rules:
1) GM's word is final, especially in balancing of abilities, though that can be up for discussion.
2) No toxicity, arguments (civilised debates are fine), bitching, etc. in the thread please, let's keep it all friendly. I'm cool with swearing though.
3) Have fun, by pain of death. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Calculations
A= attacker
B=defender

Hit success:
A(prec*d10) vs. B(agil*d10)
If A's roll is higher than B's roll, the hit is successful.

Hit damage:
A(stre*d10) vs. B(dura*d10)
1 damage = A's roll exceeds B's
2 damage = A's roll exceeds B's by 20 or more
3 damage = A's roll exceeds B's by 50 or more
[close]

Character sheet
Name:

Arena title:

Appearance (picture or a description):

Weaponry:

Stats (add up to 20 total):
Strength: (attack power)
Precision: (hit chance)
Agility: (chance of avoiding attacks, likelihood of attacking first)
Durability: (damage resistance)
Vitality: (health points)

Abilities (three, will be discussed with you once made):

[close]

NPCs (just one so far!):

Basic grunt
Stats:
Strength: 3
Precision: 3
Agility: 3
Durability: 3
Vitality: 3

Abilities:
Piercing strike: grunt performs a stab that rolls against (dura-2) with a two-turn cooldown

[close]
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:49:53 pm by The J »
Even duct tape can't fix stupid. But it can muffle the sound.

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DoctorWarbandHD
  • Side: Union
Re: Sands of the Arena (combat-oriented roleplay)
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2016, 10:03:30 pm »
Name: Gaius

Arena title: "The Peaceful"

Appearance (picture or a description): 1.70 cm tall. Weighing at 70 kilos. Brown hair. Brown eyes. Small nose.

Weaponry: A small knife, for quick attacks. Spear and a shield for long distance attacks.

Strength: (attack power) 2.5
Precision: (hit chance) 10
Agility: (chance of avoiding attacks, likelihood of attacking first) 2.5
Durability: (damage resistance) 2.5
Vitality: (health points) 2.5

Abilities (three, will be discussed with you once made): Distraction, high stamina great throwing.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 11:49:13 pm by DoctorWarband »
The Dankest of Memes, start in the simplest of words. Wombo combo.

Offline The J

• Corporal
  • King of the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2016, 11:46:51 pm »
Doc, when I say abilities, I mean a specific attack or effect which involve stats.
Also, this is Roman style.  Don't think they'd have telescopic batons or eastern martial arts.

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2016, 11:49:23 pm »
Why didn't you say so? Changed.

Offline The J

• Corporal
  • King of the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2016, 11:50:59 pm »
I thought it seemed obvious, as an example is purchased in the character sheet of the grunt,  but I have further clarified now.

Offline The J

• Corporal
  • King of the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2016, 11:52:07 pm »
Doc the abilities have to be objective effects involving stats.
One more thing, let's not have partial numbers in the stats.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 12:41:34 am by The J »

Offline DoctorWarband

• Colonel
  • Hello.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 01:32:43 am »
Doc the abilities have to be objective effects involving stats.
One more thing, let's not have partial numbers in the stats.
If that I can't play then. :(

Offline AngryCheese

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 11:42:48 pm »
Name: Copernicus

Arena title: Callidus (The skilful/ cunning)

Appearance (picture or a description):

A strong tall white man, he carries a trident in his right hand, and a net in his left, in the traditional retiarus style. He wears a loincloth and sandals. Like most gladiators, he has a mostly exposed chest, except for where he wears a harness with a sapphire in the centre. Over his right arm he wears a leather arm guard, which is connected to a shoulder shield at the top. At the bottom of the same arm he wears a golden band. He has brown hair which comes up to a short ponytail and has a beard. He has piercing green eyes.

Weaponry: A trident, net and dirk.

Stats (20 total):
Strength: 5
Precision: 5
Agility: 5
Durability: 2
Vitality: 3

Abilities:

Throw net: Gives an opponent -3 precision and -2 agility until they pass one of these tests:
Turn 1: Exceed 30 in an agility test.
Turn 2: Exceed 20 in an agility test.
Turn 3: Exceed 10 in an agility test.
Turn 4: Automatically pass.
For these tests, do not count the debuff given by Throw Net.

Net trip: Uses -2 precision to hit. Upon hit opponent suffers -2 precision and -1 strength until the opponent is missed with everything within the time between two of his turns. 3 turn cooldown.

Trident throw: Upon hit, is guaranteed to do minimum 1 damage, but he suffers -1 strength for two turns.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2016, 09:55:01 pm by AngryCheese »

Offline The J

• Corporal
  • King of the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2016, 11:10:06 am »
Cheese, heyo.

So your first ability (or set of abilities) is seeming rather pointless now. If the opponent is sensible, it will go as such:
throw net
remove net
etc.
So you will have used up a turn throwing it and they'll have used up a turn removing it, meaning that unless you continue this ad nauseam, and they kill their character out of boredom, it will continue on forever, or you'll never use the ability again.
I think I'll replace this "remove net" ability with a roll that they do every turn, as such:
Each turn they have the net on them, they roll either strength or agility to attempt to remove it after their move. The first round they roll against 30, the next against 20, then 10, and finally it is removed automatically.
Now the number 30 might require changing. I'm unsure as to the general spread of stats we're expecting, so we'll see.

Next is this condition "until they are not hit with anything". This is a little confusing. Are you saying until the next move against them misses, or does it include when they tank a hit with superior endurance?

Finally, the trident throw ability. I like the idea of perhaps some kind of finisher move for against a tank who's hard to damage, however this is an extremely precise scenario and I cannot see it being useful elsewhere. Not to mention, the entire turn-skip and whatnot seems WAY too much of a debuff for just that. You're going to need to completely rethink this ability.

Offline AngryCheese

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2016, 12:55:02 pm »

Cheese, heyo.

So your first ability (or set of abilities) is seeming rather pointless now. If the opponent is sensible, it will go as such:
throw net
remove net
etc.
So you will have used up a turn throwing it and they'll have used up a turn removing it, meaning that unless you continue this ad nauseam, and they kill their character out of boredom, it will continue on forever, or you'll never use the ability again.
I think I'll replace this "remove net" ability with a roll that they do every turn, as such:
Each turn they have the net on them, they roll either strength or agility to attempt to remove it after their move. The first round they roll against 30, the next against 20, then 10, and finally it is removed automatically.
Now the number 30 might require changing. I'm unsure as to the general spread of stats we're expecting, so we'll see.

Next is this condition "until they are not hit with anything". This is a little confusing. Are you saying until the next move against them misses, or does it include when they tank a hit with superior endurance?

Finally, the trident throw ability. I like the idea of perhaps some kind of finisher move for against a tank who's hard to damage, however this is an extremely precise scenario and I cannot see it being useful elsewhere. Not to mention, the entire turn-skip and whatnot seems WAY too much of a debuff for just that. You're going to need to completely rethink this ability.

1. That seems fair. I'd say agility, not strength.
2. Until it misses.
3. Maybe only miss one turn, not the whole have to be missed thing?

Offline The J

• Corporal
  • King of the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2016, 01:58:32 pm »

Cheese, heyo.

throw net
remove net
etc.

2. Until it misses.
Again, it's simply a huge debuff. Perhaps -1 power for two turns because he's lost the trident and is now using just a dirk or something.

Offline AngryCheese

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2016, 01:59:37 pm »

Cheese, heyo.

throw net
remove net
etc.

2. Until it misses.
Again, it's simply a huge debuff. Perhaps -1 power for two turns because he's lost the trident and is now using just a dirk or something.
Alright.

Offline Stark99

• Major
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/groups/allagainst63econspiracy#
  • Nick: [3DM] Stark [79th]
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2016, 04:11:15 pm »
Hey I support the IRA can I join? Let me know before I waste my time making a character thanks.
Stark. For being a supporter of the IRA I will not permit you to take part in any forum games I GM.
DOWN WITH DUURING

Offline The J

• Corporal
  • King of the Wicked
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2016, 05:11:53 pm »
Hey I support the IRA can I join? Let me know before I waste my time making a character thanks.
I'm afraid not.

Offline Stark99

• Major
    • View Profile
    • http://steamcommunity.com/groups/allagainst63econspiracy#
  • Nick: [3DM] Stark [79th]
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2016, 05:36:02 pm »
I'm afraid not.
Thanks <3 Here is my character.

Name: Alan Ryan

Arena title: Alan Ryan

Appearance (picture or a description): Tall, brown hair, average size

Weaponry: m16, semtex and CZ25

Strength: (attack power) 5
Precision: (hit chance) 5
Agility: (chance of avoiding attacks, likelihood of attacking first) 5
Durability: (damage resistance) 2
Vitality: (health points) 3

Abilities (three, will be discussed with you once made): letter bomb - 1 hit ur opponet in the face

edit: oops i taught you said i could play sorry anyway if u change ur mind theres my charecter
« Last Edit: March 30, 2016, 05:40:57 pm by Stark99 »
Stark. For being a supporter of the IRA I will not permit you to take part in any forum games I GM.
DOWN WITH DUURING