16 (1.9%)
400 litres
48 (5.7%)
240.336.676,217765 litres
300 (35.5%)
10.180.000.000.000.000 litres
362 (42.8%)

Total Members Voted: 838

Author Topic: [NW][M]Iron Europe - WWI Mod (RELEASED) - Old Thread  (Read 976229 times)

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
  • ✭ 𝓡𝓮𝓫𝓮𝓵 𝓨𝓮𝓵𝓵 𝓘𝓷𝓽𝓮𝓷𝓼𝓲𝓯𝓲𝓮𝓼 ✭
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: Iron Europe - WWI Mod
« Reply #180 on: November 15, 2012, 05:24:57 pm »
There was plenty of cover in late WW1(which is the mod located) because of the shelling..

your pic is from early WW1

Battle of Passchendaele July to November 1917:
Spoiler
[close]

Still pretty flat, pretty open and pretty muddy. I'm sure if you speak to a veteran of the Great War they didn't 'cover hop' because either your officer would accuse you of being a coward and shoot you or drag you to the front of the line or you'd go over the top hoping for cover to find the only cover is broken burnt tree bases. This is why sprint and prone is needed, much like in every war game, Red Orchestra has sprint and prone, if you train well using both to your advantage you can actually survive quite a while.

I believe the sprint function should be implemented but if you wish to implement rules to accompany it, for example, if you are basic infantry advancing, you have to walk together in a line, holding steady either walking or jogging, whereas specific troops such as Stormtroopers and Pioneers are allowed to advance via sprint in order to assault specified positions and do what they do best with the infantry following up behind.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 05:30:27 pm by Googly »

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #181 on: November 15, 2012, 05:52:49 pm »
To extend on to the above question, will there also be the option of sprinting? After playing on a custom trench map on NW I realised it is near impossible to run at a group of entrenched infantrymen with muskets let alone accurate bolt action rifles and machine guns, so I hope there will be a sprint mode so my Sturmtruppen can raid trenches and get into hand to hand combat before being shot to bits when they climb out the trench.   ;)

You obviously never played Battlefield 1916 during an event :P.

Machine gun posts are the prime targets during a charge, the rifles have got average accuracy to take them out from long range, just hop from cover to cover like real ww1 :P

I won't want any sprinting option this shouldn't be a cod-look-a-like the normal running speed is just fine, if you get killed fast isn't that obvious during a trench war.

He does have a point.

EDIT: Will the sappers be able to build new things such as barbed wire, trenches and mines?
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 06:04:06 pm by Desert Thunda »

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: November 15, 2012, 06:34:18 pm »
To extend on to the above question, will there also be the option of sprinting? After playing on a custom trench map on NW I realised it is near impossible to run at a group of entrenched infantrymen with muskets let alone accurate bolt action rifles and machine guns, so I hope there will be a sprint mode so my Sturmtruppen can raid trenches and get into hand to hand combat before being shot to bits when they climb out the trench.   ;)

Machine gun posts are the prime targets during a charge, the rifles have got average accuracy to take them out from long range, just hop from cover to cover like real ww1 :P

I won't want any sprinting option this shouldn't be a cod-look-a-like the normal running speed is just fine, if you get killed fast isn't that obvious during a trench war.

He does have a point.

EDIT: Will the sappers be able to build new things such as barbed wire, trenches and mines?

Lets take the map Strangefields (Fog) on NW for example. Perfect WWI Early War map, small french village, the autumn fog, forest to the sides, cornfields and a farmhouse. Now I made a small trench quickly using the ground elevation tool on the map making tools, chose a soldier with a rifle, dropped my briquet and tried to re-enact 'going over the top'. Dependant on how far away the enemy trenches are, the first chance of death is the top of the ladder due to the slow walk. But that is inevitable, once up-top, it took me a while to reach where I imagined the enemy trenches using the standard run, I certainly couldn't imagine a machine gunner being threatened by a storm trooper having a little jog up to his gun. Now we could have a go at Sanadas tactics of hiding behind things back and forth till you reach the trench, but what is there as cover? Tree stumps, a log, a small cornfield that bullets can fly through, maybe one or two burnt out trees left standing and maybe the odd crater. But most of the craters won't be like the Hawthorn ridge, where a whole regiment can sit in it, theyll only be big enough for about one or two men if you're being historically accurate, so still, hopping in the crater there is a chance it will be re-bombarded or the moment you hop up, someones been camping you the moment they saw you enter it and boom, your head flys off. So as I said before, I think the option for the sprint should be included, but have rules imposed on it. Much like the rules of firing out of line unless your a skirmisher or non-officer aiming which don't make it impossible to do it because I'm sure you'll find it's better to have an option than to have no options.

Offline Bacon

• Sergeant Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #183 on: November 15, 2012, 07:05:07 pm »
Here's a video of the N&S trench event that was hosted a couple days ago. You can read all about the event here.

Looked amazingly fun...sad I couldn't make it...

Hopefully someone will host another one!

Just wondering I had a mpa ready for the evtn I sneded everything to the hoster but he didn't even download it :'( ?

Read the video description. None of the maps for the event worked at all.
ye but it didn't even get downloaded by the hoster himself :'(

Offline Desert Thunda

• Colonel
  • u wish u knew
    • View Profile
  • Nick: K-KA_Commissar_DesertThunda
« Reply #184 on: November 15, 2012, 07:14:18 pm »

He does have a point.

Lets take the map Strangefields (Fog) on NW for example. Perfect WWI Early War map, small french village, the autumn fog, forest to the sides, cornfields and a farmhouse. Now I made a small trench quickly using the ground elevation tool on the map making tools, chose a soldier with a rifle, dropped my briquet and tried to re-enact 'going over the top'. Dependant on how far away the enemy trenches are, the first chance of death is the top of the ladder due to the slow walk. But that is inevitable, once up-top, it took me a while to reach where I imagined the enemy trenches using the standard run, I certainly couldn't imagine a machine gunner being threatened by a storm trooper having a little jog up to his gun. Now we could have a go at Sanadas tactics of hiding behind things back and forth till you reach the trench, but what is there as cover? Tree stumps, a log, a small cornfield that bullets can fly through, maybe one or two burnt out trees left standing and maybe the odd crater. But most of the craters won't be like the Hawthorn ridge, where a whole regiment can sit in it, theyll only be big enough for about one or two men if you're being historically accurate, so still, hopping in the crater there is a chance it will be re-bombarded or the moment you hop up, someones been camping you the moment they saw you enter it and boom, your head flys off. So as I said before, I think the option for the sprint should be included, but have rules imposed on it. Much like the rules of firing out of line unless your a skirmisher or non-officer aiming which don't make it impossible to do it because I'm sure you'll find it's better to have an option than to have no options.

I support Your sprinting idea but you can use your weapons to suppress that machine gunner if he keeps firing, say 4 men keep continuous fire on the machine gunner, the gunner will feel unsafe and will stop firing until he feels safe to do so, making an easy solution to the whole machine gunner problem, and if that doesn't work, well than welcome to WWI.

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 15, 2012, 08:54:10 pm »

He does have a point.

I support Your sprinting idea but you can use your weapons to suppress that machine gunner if he keeps firing, say 4 men keep continuous fire on the machine gunner, the gunner will feel unsafe and will stop firing until he feels safe to do so, making an easy solution to the whole machine gunner problem, and if that doesn't work, well than welcome to WWI.

True. I agree you can suppress the machine gunner but Pioneers and Stormtroopers will require the Infantry to supress, like Line infantry require the Rifles to suppress whilst they go in and melee as teamwork. The sprint was merely a 'life or death' option for most infantry that would act as a sort of failsafe. I'd just prefer the option, but Sanada seems to want to see everyone die miserably and slowly.  :P But with rules and guidelines on its use, such as only for specific units or only if your one of the last of your regiment as a foot-soldier, it doesn't have to be a Garrys Mod type sprint, where you go 100mph in the space of a second, Just maybe a little bit or 2x as fast as the standard run for a set amount of time.

Offline Sanada

• Private
  • The last samurai.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 28ste_Karelsruhe_Oberst_Erich
« Reply #186 on: November 15, 2012, 09:48:11 pm »
well(not to cause a spoiler pyramid)

I want the charge to be longer than like a 10 second charge and then do all the melee fighting at the enemy trench, the distance has to be atleast 5 minutes of walking/running so you get to see that it is not all about fighting in the trench but also the charge.

this is just my opinion*

Also cover hopping was pretty normal late WW1 and I never said the cover would be good but hey atleast it proves cover, but I also think that that images are not the real battlefield places but just taken for the public home.

The real battle had large craters because of the artillery shelling, you can't say the grounds were all flat after a week long barrage(Which was common).
« Last Edit: November 15, 2012, 09:51:04 pm by Sanada »

Offline Rigadoon

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Rigadoon
  • Side: Union
« Reply #187 on: November 15, 2012, 10:20:33 pm »
Right, I know this is a somewhat derpy question. But is/will there be the option of some form of grenades in this mod?Not sure how they'd be implemented - perhaps remodeled bottles that the Partizani sometimes spawn with...

Opening Post.

Also cover hopping was pretty normal late WW1 and I never said the cover would be good but hey atleast it proves cover, but I also think that that images are not the real battlefield places but just taken for the public home.

The real battle had large craters because of the artillery shelling, you can't say the grounds were all flat after a week long barrage(Which was common).

During the Somme I know that the British soldiers were ordered to march towards the enemy in a line but it's correct that they started getting smarter about it and using cover later on.

On the sprint debate. Sprint is definitely possible, I've seen it in at least two mods. I'm not entirely sure it would work with NW's walking though but I'll have to double check on that. In any case, sprinting is really important with accurate rifles and machine guns on the battlefields so we may just replace NW's walk/jog system with jog/sprint.

Offline Murray

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Lt_Murray
« Reply #188 on: November 16, 2012, 12:12:48 am »
I think having jog/sprint is the best idea, I know we were ordered to advance at a walking pace but I think for the sake of the game we should be allowed to peg it for our lives.

Signature Courtesy of Aumashy

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 16, 2012, 12:15:39 am »
One simple way to do it would simply to eliminate the walk function and swap it for a sprint function. Slow down the default speed and make the 'walk' double or more that. Though I do appreciate walking sometimes...

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2012, 12:22:54 am »
One simple way to do it would simply to eliminate the walk function and swap it for a sprint function. Slow down the default speed and make the 'walk' double or more that. Though I do appreciate walking sometimes...

Perhaps there could be walking, jogging, and a sort of sprint key that initiates a sprint until the player stops moving?

Offline Aumashy

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: November 16, 2012, 12:23:54 am »
For the Frenchies :)
[close]
More versions will come it possibly

Offline James Grant

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: November 16, 2012, 12:27:18 am »

Perhaps there could be walking, jogging, and a sort of sprint key that initiates a sprint until the player stops moving?

I'm certain it's possible. So much more has been modded into warband, simply silly if something so (on the surface) simple is impossible.
Regardless I am no modder outside of dabbling into R:TW and CKII. (Did make rather a good mod for CKII actually)

Offline Murray

• Corporal
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 77y_Lt_Murray
« Reply #193 on: November 16, 2012, 12:28:07 am »
GERMANY! GERMANY!

Signature Courtesy of Aumashy

Offline Googly

• Second Lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: November 16, 2012, 12:55:37 am »

I'm certain it's possible. So much more has been modded into warband, simply silly if something so (on the surface) simple is impossible.
Regardless I am no modder outside of dabbling into R:TW and CKII. (Did make rather a good mod for CKII actually)

Thats what I thought. Incase people wanted to re-create the Somme for those historical accuracy lovers, they'd want the walk. So if we can make options for all 3 it would be good. If not, jog and shift for sprint would be good.  :D