Author Topic: French Theory  (Read 4314 times)

Offline Siwi

• Donator
  • Where is BCoF
    • View Profile
  • Nick: -|- Where is BCoF -|-
  • Side: Confederacy
French Theory
« on: October 06, 2015, 01:36:31 am »
Does anyone think that perhaps, the reason the french are branded with being cowards has to do with the fact that most of the brave frenchmen died/were scattered over Russia during the Napoleonic Wars? They were far from cowardly during that time, and everyone seems to ignore that and just quotes world war 1 and 2. Thoughts?

Does anyone know where the french=cowards came from?
Quote from: George W. Bush on 9/11
Battle Cry of Freedom was an inside job
NW Leaderboards
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
NA_Groupfighting

Check out the site

Offline Windflower

• General
  • ex PSG, 30th
    • View Profile
    • my jam
  • Side: Union
Re: French Theory
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 01:53:13 am »
lol

NAPL season 1 saw the greatest regiment winning
ribbit 🐸 cute? 😳 im not cute 😓 i mean my parents 👨‍👩‍👧 call me cute ☺️ but honestly 👉👈 ive never ❌ heard it 👂 from someone else 🗣 before 🥰 thanks i guess? 😳

Offline Gluk the Walrus

• Che Guevara's American Cousin
  • Donator
  • Ex-NANWL Moderator | #RemoveAussies
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Gluk The Walrus
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 02:17:16 am »
It started because of how quickly the french surrendered in WW2 to nazi germany. What people fail to realize is that throughout history there have been countless examples of french bravery on the battle field, including WW2. People don't seem to know that much of france was in open rebellion, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_France

Offline Peppers

• Colonel
  • Father of North American Cavalry
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Pepper
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 03:17:35 am »
Look up the 33rd grenadiers Charlemagne  if you want to see present dayish brave Frenchmen.

Offline Siwi

• Donator
  • Where is BCoF
    • View Profile
  • Nick: -|- Where is BCoF -|-
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 11:44:09 pm »
lol, was drunk, my grammar was impeccable tho
Quote from: George W. Bush on 9/11
Battle Cry of Freedom was an inside job
NW Leaderboards
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
NA_Groupfighting

Check out the site

Offline Fwuffy

• Amazing human being who deserves this title fully
  • General
  • Statue Gaming™
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Toupie
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 11:44:55 pm »
you guys take things way too seriously

Offline The_Squid

• Volunteer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2015, 06:49:12 am »
If anything it was probably popularized in World War I due to desertion rates and French lines retreating. It's not really fair because the Frenchmen bore the brunt of the German war machine before the British were able to fully commit the totality of their Army and land forces. French lines fell repeatedly because by 1916, they were already severely exhausted. The British allies and others did not let this fact exonerate the French fleeing forces. My guess though.   

Offline Liman von Sanders

• First Sergeant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2015, 07:43:56 pm »
*shows its surrender flag

Offline Ted

• Colonel
  • Aufknöpfen!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2015, 11:41:26 am »
If anything it was probably popularized in World War I due to desertion rates and French lines retreating. It's not really fair because the Frenchmen bore the brunt of the German war machine before the British were able to fully commit the totality of their Army and land forces. French lines fell repeatedly because by 1916, they were already severely exhausted. The British allies and others did not let this fact exonerate the French fleeing forces. My guess though.

Well the French still managed to take all the german positions they were supposed to at the Somme with only minor losses while the brits got rekt. The French fought very well over the whole war.
Dat kid who put up a global banlist back in Betty's times.
Former Regiments: 7te Kurmarkische Landwehr, 6te Ulanen, kk Kürassierregiment Nr.4, kk Bombardier-Regiment Nr.3, kk AR Nr.2, GGR Nr.4, Artillerie im Kö.Preuß.IR Nr.33.
>>Scenes<<

Offline The Mighty McLovin

• Deserves a better title than this
  • Donator
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2015, 04:17:59 pm »
Well, in my opinion it was during the World War II and the Germans managed to invade and conquer France in just over a month, so then they became cowards. And I think over time this has being over-exaggerated into them being cowards and having their official flag being the white surrender flag. I think now it's like a French military stereotype.

Offline joer5835

• Brigadier General
  • My face is tired.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Joer
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2015, 04:29:27 pm »
I've met very few people who seriously believed France was a country of cowards. It's more of a joke, actually, like how people joke around that all Ruskies are drunks and the Dutch are always high. Anyone that knows even a little bit of history, knows that France had one of the most powerfull armies in modern Western history up untill the 20th century.
Polan is of dangerous to FSE
Im from Poland , a land of lawlessness

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2015, 09:21:21 pm »
I've met very few people who seriously believed France was a country of cowards. It's more of a joke, actually, like how people joke around that all Ruskies are drunks and the Dutch are always high. Anyone that knows even a little bit of history, knows that France had one of the most powerfull armies in modern Western history up untill the 20th century.
Russians are always drunk tho :/
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline KL4R1N0G4MPR0S

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2015, 09:39:49 pm »
Meh, I think that it was the net trend of popularly-known losses that brand the French as such, including WWI, WWII, Indochina, Algeria, and the various skirmishes in the colonies that they ended up losing during decolonisation... I'm far from knowledgeable on the topic though, so I'l leave it at that  :-[
<3

Offline MaxLam

• Colonel
  • Founder of Minisiege, EU_Commander & Mininaval
    • View Profile
    • Napoleonic Wars Public
« Reply #13 on: January 22, 2016, 03:38:46 pm »
I think that this joke appeared after the US invasion of Iraq, when the French government refused to take part. France was considered to have the strongest army in the world until 1940, especially since the French won WW1. And their quick defeat was a surprise for everyone. There are few examples of cowardice in the French military history. There have been many betrayals, but that happened to other countries too, including the US. Also I believe that this idea of French being cowards is mostly US, and if it has spread to other brains, it's only through the English language.

Offline Cazasar

• Lieutenant General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 22, 2016, 03:42:38 pm »
I think that this joke appeared after the US invasion of Iraq, when the French government refused to take part. France was considered to have the strongest army in the world until 1940, especially since the French won WW1. And their quick defeat was a surprise for everyone. There are few examples of cowardice in the French military history. There have been many betrayals, but that happened to other countries too, including the US. Also I believe that this idea of French being cowards is mostly US, and if it has spread to other brains, it's only through the English language.
Its a big joke here in Germany. And I doubt that comes from the english language.
CAUTION: INTERACTIVE SCREENSHOTS NOT MEANT FOR MEDIUM EYES
Cazasar interacting with the boys
[close]
me and cazasar interacting
[close]