Author Topic: Help wanted for upcomming Napoleonic Wars patch  (Read 54241 times)

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
Help wanted for upcomming Napoleonic Wars patch
« on: August 19, 2017, 12:15:20 am »
After discussion with the FSE team, we are looking into a patch for NW.   The general idea arose to patch NW for another perhaps last time.  The idea is to squash any exploits, bugs and other things that have been plaguing the game for ages

So, this thread is for you all to help point out said bugs, and if there are any fixes that you made, or where to find them.   if we can get  all the various fixes together, we can update the game that will hopefully make sure it lasts longer while not being plagued with cheaters or annoying bugs. 

because this is a serious thread, please don't fill it with "this should of been done years ago"  or things like that.   What has been done is done.  I will just remove those comments.   So, if you would like to help out, please post about the issues above.  Even if you don't know how to fix a bug, or where the bug is in the code, you can still post to let us know about it. 

Another subject to discuss  is about mods.   There have been some good mods over the years.  If there is a mod everyone loves and is good, we may be able to put it in the base game with the authors consent.  You would be given credit for your work.  we will not be adding units or factions currently. 

The more you help out, the better and faster this will go.   The more people that see this, the better. 

There may be some balance changes as well.(depends.)  So i will make another thread and link to it.  talk about balance to your hearts content in that thread.  The primary goal will be to fix the issues above but if there is a good consensus about an issue, we can look into balancing it.   here is the link

https://www.fsegames.eu/forum/index.php?topic=36935.0
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 04:13:34 pm by Thunderstormer »
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
  • Dutchman living in Allenstein, Ostpreußen.
    • View Profile
    • Flying Squirrel Entertainment
  • Nick: FSE_Vincenzo
  • Side: Union
Re: Help wanted for upcomming Napoleonic Wars patch
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 12:18:39 am »
I'm Vincenzo and I endorse this message. Thank you. God bless.

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 12:20:32 am »
Was the double flag server crash bug ever fixed? I know we could only replicate it on certain servers and it's not likely to ever happen, but it's the main one that comes to mind for me.

Offline Orcaryo

• By far the worst in melee
  • Brigadier General
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 12:20:57 am »
Fix the naval map spawns

Offline Getty

• Major
  • Leader of the Nr9.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Nr9_Oberst_Getty
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2017, 12:22:08 am »
Good meme, will update with suggestions for later. For now I am all for a reduction in sailor armor.

Offline DaMonkey

• King of FSE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: King DaMonkey I
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2017, 12:26:25 am »
For now I am all for a reduction in sailor armor.

First and foremost this. The cuirassier-like armor the sailors get is beyond annoying.

Suggestions for Cavalry coming Soon(tm).
Did you know that if you use 100% of your brain, you get godlike powers? true story.
Did you know that if you use 10% of received donations, you can release BCoF by now. true story

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2017, 12:37:56 am »
Whats the point? At this point you might as well just leave it. People would be more up for a new faction or something like that, get some interest back in rather than putting out bug fixes... Don't take this as me saying don't bother, I am just giving my sincere opinion as someone who has been playing since MM and I thank you with my heart for making the mod/DLC.

Something like East India Company etc. or a copy and paste re skin of the Ottomans for example or just even a unit overhaul like you did for the last update with Sailors, Hussars etc. I gave this thread to 15 people in the 18e teamspeak and they all said exactly the same as me. We personally don't think that the reason the game is dying is because of the gameplay and mechanics itself, its because of the lack of diversity between the content, partially this could be due to regiments always playing the same units all the time.

The obvious things like the Admin chat crashing server bug and the multiple flag crash should be fixed but thats a given. Interested to see what actually happens with this.

P.S. Don't give people in 18e a reason to make me schedule events please, I am happy in my grave ;(
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:53:24 am by John Price »
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline Bob_The_Drunken_Villager

• Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Bob
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2017, 12:41:48 am »
When you're at it, why not fix the bug that Blocks are sometimes wrongfully displayed. (If that's possible, obviously I don't know)
"When we found the Abyss, we fought.
Through our blood, we did not find what we sought.
New challenger, end us, so we may rot.
For our journey into the Abyss, was all for nought."

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2017, 12:52:41 am »
There is a reason we HAVE to patch it..  more on that later. So might aswell do more than only 1 thing whilst we're at it.

I can't spend much of my time on this because i'm mostly working on BCOF so Thunderstormer will do the bulk of the work here to collect things together and what to patch.

It would be a patch for the community and hopefully also by the community.. You guys can contribute, perhaps even ask if your mods can be added to the game for everyone to play.. I'm open for that.
This does not include new units and other things, I think it won't be worth it to add more textures, meshes and thus memory usage to the game.. it is running quite smooth..  and we have a lot of units.. what do you guys think?
In any case the mods must be stable, and 100% your own work if you allow it to be put into the DLC (with credits).

I know the game is old now, but we should not let it die because its in a broken state.

cheers.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:55:09 am by Vincenzo »

Offline bobertini

• Major General
  • Stark <3<3<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2017, 12:53:20 am »
Is there a date which effectively work will start and this thread becomes void. As in how fast do we have to tell you?

There are several that come to mind for me. Which I'll document tommorow.

My main love would be for a better detection system for changes made to have such exploits such as autoblock.

Can there also be more than 20 custom maps?
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 12:55:08 am by bobertini »

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2017, 12:55:47 am »
I hope to have this all set and done in a few weeks, a month at most. for certain reasons.

@ Bobertini, ask anything and we can see what we can do. :)

Fix the naval map spawns
be more specific.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:01:16 am by Vincenzo »

Offline John Price

• Block guys what is this!?
  • General
  • Destroyer of RGL
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2017, 01:01:40 am »
There is a reason we HAVE to patch it..  more on that later. So might aswell do more than only 1 thing whilst we're at it.

I can't spend much of my time on this because i'm mostly working on BCOF so Thunderstormer will do the bulk of the work here to collect things together and what to patch.

It would be a patch for the community and hopefully also by the community.. You guys can contribute, perhaps even ask if your mods can be added to the game for everyone to play.. I'm open for that.
This does not include new units and other things, I think it won't be worth it to add more textures, meshes and thus memory usage to the game.. it is running quite smooth..  and we have a lot of units.. what do you guys think?
In any case the mods must be stable, and 100% your own work if you allow it to be put into the DLC.

I know the game is old now, but we should not let it die because its in a broken state.

cheers.
Sorry to press on you Vince, I have always appreciated the work you put into this game. But what constitutes it being "broken"? Who told you its broken? What did people tell you needs fixing? If you mean addressing things like the state of melee then I hope you don't because you could do more harm than good. People are very defensive about this subject.

I understand your argument for the game being smooth, but I think with your statement you may be missing the mark. Perhaps we should get a community poll in as to what they would like to see out of this patch?

I just want to see this game flourish, people such as myself have been here this long for the community. Lets explore all options? :) Anyway I have  mods that I release only for my regiment, or regiments who ask me to create them. I would be happy to bring them forwards to give the community another leg to stand on.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:06:03 am by John Price »
Knightmare is from Albania, no?
Sorry, I can't accept this team.

Offline bobertini

• Major General
  • Stark <3<3<3
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 19, 2017, 01:05:04 am »
Vincenzo, just sent you a private message regarding bugs I'd rather keep quiet and removed from the game.

I'll post more bugs tommorow.

Offline Vincenzo

• Flying Squirrel Dev
  • FSE Developer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 19, 2017, 01:08:06 am »
Thank you! if you don't want to post them public you can send them in a PM. no problem.

I prefer if you forward them to Thunderstormer, he collects them all.

Cheers.

About adding new units/factions.. i mean i'ts not fully off the table, but i don't think its going to do anything to boost the game to a higher level, people just generally replace units in the game with their mods, if they want to..
« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 01:24:02 am by Vincenzo »

Offline Knightmare

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 19, 2017, 01:41:24 am »
Thank you! if you don't want to post them public you can send them in a PM. no problem.

I prefer if you forward them to Thunderstormer, he collects them all.

Cheers.

About adding new units/factions.. i mean i'ts not fully off the table, but i don't think its going to do anything to boost the game to a higher level, people just generally replace units in the game with their mods, if they want to..
That takes out the units of that replaced-nation,a new faction might add variety and different weapons always give you a different feeling,consider the Spanish with different clothing or the Ottomans with a ingame French level roster.Pitting the newer units against older ones is also an area of interest.