Author Topic: Improve Bracing  (Read 8881 times)

Offline HandOfGod

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
Re: Improve Bracing
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2013, 09:58:40 pm »
Yeah I have seen players do it sometimes. I don't know why you'd do it since I'd think that a stab has a greater reach, at least to my knowledge, is it a 1 hit kill too right?

This is why our most used anticav formation is a loose order formation where we spread out an stab any horse we can. (But not spreading too far out)

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
  • Side: Union
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2013, 10:23:31 pm »
Yeah, its not really the fact that bracing is underpowered its more of the fact that if you even flinch and move your mouse the braces is nulled and wont work. My solution to this is to maybe make a button lock for bracing.

But think about it, lancers could get around this so it isnt completely overpowered.

Yea,I like this.

I don't know why you'd do it since I'd think that a stab has a greater reach

This.

Getting the time right is very difficult. Fighting cavalry one on one, sure stab the dude, but when you have 16 cavalry, engaging them individually will lead to infantry Tk's, back stabs, mistakes, and general defeat of the infantry. That's why I think that if infantry have formed in an anti cavalry formation, they should be given an advantage.

Yeah I have seen players do it sometimes. I don't know why you'd do it since I'd think that a stab has a greater reach, at least to my knowledge, is it a 1 hit kill too right?

When you are a closed anti-cav formation, there are almost always Tk's when stabbing, that's why we brace instead. Generally it's a one hit kill, but if a horse runs directly into you, then it won't be killed, that's another thing that I find incredibly silly.

This is why our most used anticav formation is a loose order formation where we spread out an stab any horse we can. (But not spreading too far out)

We generally brace if we have time, or fight them in loose order if it's lancers.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 10:25:06 pm by Walko »
Pointy stick champion

Offline TheZach_Attack

• Donator
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Zach_Attack
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2013, 10:47:54 pm »
Okay yeah I see what your sayin. And also when your Horse does get killed and you have low health, maybe took a bullet you will die, you'll take damage when yor horse dies.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2013, 10:54:49 pm »
Okay yeah I see what your sayin. And also when your Horse does get killed and you have low health, maybe took a bullet you will die, you'll take damage when yor horse dies.

Yea, I think it's an option in the admin panel whether or not you want riders to take damage when they fall.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dionysus
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2013, 11:03:06 pm »
Getting the time right is very difficult. Fighting cavalry one on one, sure stab the dude, but when you have 16 cavalry, engaging them individually will lead to infantry Tk's, back stabs, mistakes, and general defeat of the infantry. That's why I think that if infantry have formed in an anti cavalry formation, they should be given an advantage.

If only players actually used teamwork.  :(

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2013, 11:10:47 pm »
Well, it's just impossible to coordinate. It moves so fast that you can't really help each other out enough to be effective. You have to make sure someone is watching your back 24/7.  It's simply the game works that in a melee, horsemen are going to win because of their speed, maneuverability, height, and range.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2013, 05:04:34 am »
Wait, is the whole "Fall off your horse if you get hit" thing only for braced bayonets?

Offline Dionysus

• Sergeant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Dionysus
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2013, 05:57:44 am »
Well, it's just impossible to coordinate. It moves so fast that you can't really help each other out enough to be effective. You have to make sure someone is watching your back 24/7.  It's simply the game works that in a melee, horsemen are going to win because of their speed, maneuverability, height, and range.

I've experienced that its a little too easy to out maneuver cavalry and kill/dehorse them. Though increasing horse maneuverability or decreasing infantry maneuverability might unbalance things further. No idea what would be best, leaving it as is might even be better.

As for bracing, I can definitely see positives in the feature. Although correct me if I am wrong, but I would believe bracing would work best in groups, lovely targets for flying objects launched by infantry, cavalry and cannons.

Would also give many infantry a way to sit in the brace position basically camping waiting for cavalry to charge and die if they don't have bullets.

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2013, 07:02:33 am »
Wait, is the whole "Fall off your horse if you get hit" thing only for braced bayonets?

Ja, it is!

I've experienced that its a little too easy to out maneuver cavalry and kill/dehorse them. Though increasing horse maneuverability or decreasing infantry maneuverability might unbalance things further. No idea what would be best, leaving it as is might even be better.

As for bracing, I can definitely see positives in the feature. Although correct me if I am wrong, but I would believe bracing would work best in groups, lovely targets for flying objects launched by infantry, cavalry and cannons.

Would also give many infantry a way to sit in the brace position basically camping waiting for cavalry to charge and die if they don't have bullets.

Exactly, it's a trade off like it was in real life: good defense against cavalry, but completely static, and venerable against arty, and infantry.
Pointy stick champion

Offline Newkirk

• Colonel
  • 27th Relic
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Old Mr. Kirk
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2013, 02:04:28 pm »

Ja, it is!

So I spent 2 hours with my reg testing this with bullets, trying to make the cavalry man fall of his horse, for nothing? WUNDERBAR!

Offline Walko

• Brigadier General
  • Tired art student.
    • View Profile
    • 4. Silesian Landwehr
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2013, 05:12:58 pm »
That's a shame :( but now you can try it with bracing!
Pointy stick champion

Offline antslimey

• First Lieutenant
  • Co founder and leader of the AEF and Col of 55th!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [AEF]Col_Anthony 55th_Col_Anthony
« Reply #26 on: November 20, 2015, 05:18:11 pm »
Admin horses die if you brace

Offline Audiate

• World's Worst
  • Major General
  • FREEZE, PUNK!
    • View Profile
  • Nick: the mic rula; the old schoola