Author Topic: British Naval units  (Read 5828 times)

Offline Burakkuada

• First Lieutenant
  • Vince - Unban Tavington.
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 17e_WookieeBurak
  • Side: Confederacy
Re: British Naval units
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2013, 01:29:14 pm »
I want to know why the hell British Navy sailors have pirate voices? It's so dumb.

I love the new patch though good job FSE

Offline Rejenorst

• Lieutenant Colonel
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2013, 02:22:23 pm »
If they hamper your enjoyment of the game just head into the mod folder NW and then sounds and then overwright all the pirate sound files with the british warcries.

The pirate voices are indeed a novelty item and FSE may or may not decide to replace them later.
Spoiler

[close]

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
  • Nick: USMC_Maj_CommissarJdf
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2013, 05:19:05 pm »
They were privateers, I'm pretty sure.

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
  • Left hand's fast but the right hand's sturdy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2013, 05:40:09 pm »
There are 2 things i'd like to see different.

1. Sailors with shirts. I just simply can't believe the whole ship was filled with shirtless sailors.
2. Being able to choose a weapon with sailor (If I want to be a sailor with a pistol, then let me have it, don't give me a spear most of the time and ruin my round!!!)

If that would be changed i'd be such a happy boy :)
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2013, 05:45:09 pm »

1. Sailors with shirts. I just simply can't believe the whole ship was filled with shirtless sailors.
2. Being able to choose a weapon with sailor (If I want to be a sailor with a pistol, then let me have it, don't give me a spear most of the time and ruin my round!!!)

Sailors with shirts would've been uncommon. The heat on those boats would've been unimaginable. However, that doesn't mean that it never got cold! ;)

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2013, 05:46:03 pm »

Sailors with shirts would've been uncommon. The heat on those boats would've been unimaginable. However, that doesn't mean that it never got cold! ;)

Oke, I am to dumb to know that uncommon means. But are you trying to tell me that they actually didn't wear shirts? As in, all of them?
Dekkers has become the community's designated old man with alzheimers who sits in the corner reminiscing about simpler times, happier times... "The spins" he wails "do you remember the SPINS!!!"

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2013, 05:46:42 pm »

Oke, I am to dumb to know that uncommon means. But are you trying to tell me that they actually didn't wear shirts? As in, all of them?

Read.

Offline Commissar Jdf

• General
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2013, 06:20:47 pm »
Also, zeemannen zouden warm hebben op boten, en daarom droegen ze geen shirts.

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2013, 06:22:44 pm »
Yeah, I understood that part :P. But what I wonder is wether they were all shirtless or not. And I think there will always be some with shirts and that is why I think there should an uniform with shirts aswell, like with partizani you get different uniforms somethimes. Btw, might be Opolcynie or something. Idk

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2013, 06:27:22 pm »
Yeah, I understood that part :P. But what I wonder is wether they were all shirtless or not. And I think there will always be some with shirts and that is why I think there should an uniform with shirts aswell, like with partizani you get different uniforms somethimes. Btw, might be Opolcynie or something. Idk

Soldiers got issued shirts. And I'm not 100%, but I believe that it was even forbidden to be bare-chested on deck on certain ships, at least when they were't in tropical heat or something.

Also, the shirts these men worn were very wide and of linen, which means you could wear it in warm weather - It kept you from being sun-burned.

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 03, 2013, 08:13:21 pm »
So my first idea about giving them shirts wasn't a bad idea?

And how about the 2nd one. That we can choose wether we want a pike, or a pistol or an axe etc?

Offline Johan

• Captain
    • View Profile
  • Nick: [5teFKI]_Oberst_Johann
  • Side: Union
« Reply #26 on: August 03, 2013, 08:46:10 pm »
I love how people are pulling facts out of their asses.

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 03, 2013, 09:31:45 pm »
I love how people are pulling facts out of their asses.

I'm sorry this doesn't agree with your romantic ideas of the age of Sail.

Granted, Britian is not my strongest point, but the same goes for France. French sailors were issued a full uniform; In fact, the 'marine' of the new patch is simply a French sailor. Though, the shako is officially incorrect for this period (12-15) - They should have a hat not unlike the British marines, with an eagle plate. The French sailor class with her random weaponry and half-clothing fits the period before 1805.

That being said, I love the addition of the patch, so personally I don't really mind. I might get a reskin to give the French sailors their proper hat, though.

Offline Dekkers

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2013, 10:09:30 pm »
Ahh yes, a reskin to give them a shirt if I want to. Damn, if I knew that I wouldn't have to start this discussion! Silly me :(.

But. Still, the 2nd thing though. Do you guys think you should be able to pick a weapon instead of having a random weapon you might not like?

Offline Duuring

• Duuring
  • Free at last
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2013, 01:03:33 am »
I don't really mind. The pistol is not effective in anything but short-range, so it hardly matters if you got a pistol, a spear or a cutlass.