Author Topic: What scandal happened in 2014 August?  (Read 10420 times)

Offline Required_Attack

• Private
  • Not Peace, But a Sword.
    • View Profile
    • 53e Régiment d'Infanterie de Ligne
  • Nick: Gregory
  • Side: Union
What scandal happened in 2014 August?
« on: October 01, 2014, 08:44:38 pm »
I am not a prominent member of this community. I did not understand what happened when I received the following message on 31 August 2014. Could someone please tell me whom the moderators banned and what they did wrong? Thanks.

Hello all.

For the past days I have been moving into my first year of college. It's been very fun, but tiring. Our orientation lasts for about 5 days, giving us ample time to move in and settle into our new community. A large part of orientation is attending a number of "meetings" in which school policies and rules are laid out, as are the consequences for breaking them. Now, after watching a school-hosted showing of Neighbors and after ordering my textbooks, I come here to find that a different type of orientation - or rather, re-orientation - is in order. A large number of people seem to be forgetting what exactly what it means to use these forums, and more importantly, what it means to form and maintain a thriving community.

Many of you know that the history of the MM/NW community has been nothing if not turbulent. Trials and tribulations aplenty have tested our resolve both as individuals and more as a community. It's a powerful word, "community." It bears a lot of weight in terms of what it means for its inhabitants, weight that is directly transferred to those inhabitants; without them, the community would not exist. Every single person in every single environment makes a piece of the picture, and each has a responsibility to both their companions and their community as a whole.

As many of you now know, the majority of the 60th thread, after it and its corresponding moderator reports were reviewed by a moderator, was entirely removed to our forum archive. This was a measure thought by many to be extreme, and as a result, a large tirade of outbursts and defiance was posted. A fairly natural response, to be sure. But when we look at what was said, the outcry heard went far beyond the point of reasonable, respectful, and as such went far beyond the constraints of the rules of this forum. For the sake of integrity - not just integrity of individual privacy, but integrity of the community - I will not point fingers at any names or groups involved in this message.

I personally urge you to read through this entire message. There will be those that are shrugging this message off with a laugh, and those that have already exited from the tab. It may not be what you want to do, but it's what you must do in order to fulfill your duty not just to me and my fellow moderators, but to each other and the NW community. You are responsible for reading the contents of this message, and the consequences of not doing so will fall on you and you alone.

Let me first remind everyone that a moderator's decision is final. It is law on these forums. And, like in the wide open world beyond our insignificant screens, we fully expect those laws to be followed and respected in any and all contexts. There is no excuse for doing otherwise, as you all legally agreed to the terms set by the company, FSE, when you registered your account. I say again: there is no excuse.

The behavior seen tonight has been all told outrageous and over the line. Users and groups that use this site have utilized the privileges they have been given to use this site in order to not only take advantage of forum rules and disrespect those that work to maintain a friendly environment, but attempt to use this behavior to coerce the forum moderation staff to conforming to their demands and wants. This will not be tolerated under any circumstances.

The venues to make complaints and appeals have been explicitly displayed and explained in the Forum Rules for your use and convenience. There is again no excuse for any of the behavior seen in the wake of the incident earlier, and as such, FSE and its staff holds every right to take action against those who would ignore these rules and agreements, especially if they break those rules and agreements while doing so.

This message holds a fairly intense tone. Some may react with surprise, some with amusement, some with a certain measure of confusion. Is this incident really that important or damaging enough to warrant a response like this? Let me confirm to you that it is not. It is rather the pattern that this incident so far completes that is the concern of this message. Certain users and even groups have utilized their privileges to repeatedly take advantage of certain situations, users, and even the rules themselves to conduct themselves in a way that is never and never will be appropriate on these forums. There needs to be a change, and needs to and will happen now.

There will be no more tolerance for disorderly or disruptive conduct, be it in regards to any and all of the forum rules or the moderator staff, from those I speak of. You know who you are, and so do the moderators.

The issues brought forward tonight may not be resolved for some time. Life is keeping the moderation staff busier than in other times of the year. Please be patient, and in the meantime please review the venues of complaint and appeal. If you feel the need to make one, send private messages to all members of the moderator staff; we will review them when possible.

Regards,
The Flying Squirrel Entertainment Team.

Thank you for reading. There is a copy of this message posted in the Forum and Website board, with an extra message that I humbly request you take a look at.

-McEwan

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
Re: What scandal happened in 2014 August?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2014, 08:57:53 pm »
PrideOfNi wasn't it?

I don't pay attention much now so correct me if I am wrong but as I can make out it was one big angry weird ass blur, something about backlash over a really old post swollen thread being closed because it was actually hurting forum performance and some people went crazy over it. Then finger pointing and arguments began and it all snow balled a bit into something silly.

The only reason why people reacted was probably due to the little taunt Malakith added on our new thread. It was something along the lines of "Enjoy your new shiny thread" or something like that.

I'm thinking some of those guys over reacted and read into something not there just a wee bit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2014, 01:07:36 am by SeanBeansShako »

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2014, 09:27:59 pm »
Nothing you should worry about, just a thread that was deleted, people went ape mad over it, the rebellion was stopped, end of.

Offline USE4life

• Donator
  • Queen of Yorkshire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/
  • Nick: Kicked out the K-KA_USE4life
  • Side: Confederacy
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2014, 09:43:16 pm »
PrideOfNi wasn't it?

I don't pay attention much now so correct me if I am wrong but as I can make out it was one big angry weird ass blur, something about backlash over a really old post swollen thread being closed because it was actually hurting forum performance and some people went crazy over it. Then finger pointing and arguments began and it all snow balled a bit into something silly.

Yeah you are wrong. I don't think Pride had anything at all to do with it. But no doubt you did.

Offline PrideofNi

• Major General
  • This is just a game, respect other people!
    • View Profile
    • K-KA HQ
  • Nick: PrideofNi
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2014, 09:47:43 pm »
PrideOfNi wasn't it?

You really are obsessed on me, its getting a bit silly. I've never been banned, I've only received two 5% warnings ever and one of them was removed. It probably involved some miss-management you done while you were a moderator, that seems to be your legacy of your time in power.

Offline Crunk

• Lieutenant Colonel
  • The tactical turtleneck, the tactilneck!
    • View Profile
  • Side: Neutral
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2014, 09:59:31 pm »
The OP's question has been answered (If not, PM a moderator, they will tell you what's what), lock this before we head to Dramaville again.
My plan is to crowdsource a plan.

Offline FrithBiscuit

• Colonel
  • PM me for pics, cutest Grimbarian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2014, 10:05:23 pm »
I suggest you listen to Crunk, admins. He seems like he knows what he's talking about.
Current:
Past: 63e CdB, 43rd Ens, 28th Lt, 1stElbe Lt

Offline DarkLight

• First Lieutenant
    • View Profile
  • Nick: DarkLight
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2014, 10:32:37 pm »
Giveusbackthepages# AllLies#

Offline Required_Attack

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2014, 10:49:08 pm »
Nothing you should worry about, just a thread that was deleted, people went ape mad over it, the rebellion was stopped, end of.

Are you implying that the moderators deleted any threads which criticized their actions?

Offline Crescent Glow

• Major General
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 01, 2014, 10:51:01 pm »

Are you implying that the moderators deleted all threads which criticized their actions?

No, they deleted one thread that had over 1000 pages, which supposedly contained content that was not allowed on the forums.

Offline Karth

• Donator
  • General of 63e| NW Official Admin
    • View Profile
  • Nick: 63e_General_Karth
« Reply #10 on: October 01, 2014, 10:52:01 pm »

Are you implying that the moderators deleted any threads which criticized their actions?

Message a mod if you want to know more. Otherwise this thread should be locked

Offline Required_Attack

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2014, 10:54:41 pm »

Are you implying that the moderators deleted all threads which criticized their actions?

No, they deleted one thread that had over 1000 pages, which supposedly contained content that was not allowed on the forums.

Karth said that a rebellion was stopped. This implies that other actions happened after the original thread was deleted.

Offline Required_Attack

• Private
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2014, 10:57:56 pm »

Message a mod if you want to know more. Otherwise this thread should be locked

I don't understand why you and the other person want to lock this thread, but nothing will further an image of conspiracy more than seeing a moderator lock it for me, against my wishes.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 11:08:03 pm by Required_Attack »

Offline USE4life

• Donator
  • Queen of Yorkshire
    • View Profile
    • http://www.yorkshireparty.org.uk/
  • Nick: Kicked out the K-KA_USE4life
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2014, 11:00:29 pm »
There's been a couple of spats between forumers and moderators on here. This particular one was about the 60th thread which had reached page 1000 or so and was removed from vied whilst a pyramid and other banned content was removed. However it was then deleted for taking up too much memory space and people reacted badly.

Offline SeanBeansShako

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2014, 11:09:33 pm »
PrideOfNi wasn't it?

Yeah you are wrong. I don't think Pride had anything at all to do with it. But no doubt you did.

Yeah, I'm the evil puppet master pulling the strings. You've foiled my plan, uncovered my secret meth empire and showed the world my true evils. All that is missing really is the board with all the little red ribbons of proof.