Author Topic: Black Friday Deals/Recommendations Thread  (Read 4512 times)

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
  • Side: Confederacy
Black Friday Deals/Recommendations Thread
« on: November 21, 2016, 09:42:44 pm »
Thought I'd make a thread for people to put in any Black Friday deals they find online in (or brag about something you found in store if you so wish), or ask advice on possible purchases. I'm currently looking to buy a new gaming PC, I have a budget of £800/$1000 but can't decide what to get. I know the kind of thing I should be looking for but I'm no expert. Can anyone give me advice on which of these is better? Or tell me if both are bad/show me a better alternative?
https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-AM500G-iBuyPower-Desktop/dp/B01KW42TNO?tag=georiot-pcg-20&ascsubtag=hawk-1455696836-20
vs
http://deals.dell.com/productdetail/4xd

Cheers :)

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
  • Luck is for Risk because he is bad at SMITE
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Memefried
  • Side: Neutral
Re: Black Friday Deals/Recommendations Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2016, 10:56:34 pm »
Well, ill try my hand at advice:

The iBuyPower has a better graphics card. The GTX 1060 is a entire series ahead of the GTX 960 and is abit better. 1060s are about ~$30 more than 960s.

The iBuyPower has 8 GB less memory than the alienware. 8 GB of ram is about ~$45

Both have roughly equally powerful processors, but the Alienware has a slightly better one.

Both have about the same amount of storage on their hard drives, but it looks like the Alienware one comes with a SSD giving it more storage along with the other benefits of a SSD (which include godly load times).

Excluding the Case/Mouse/Keyboard which I don't know anything about: I would say the Alienware is better. Not only is it cheaper, it is generally a better value for what you are getting. Spec wise, the only advantage the iBuyPower has is the graphics card but you could probably sell the 960 on the Alienware and buy a 1070 (which is better than the 1060) and it would still be cheaper than buying the iBuyPower. I don't know anything about the cooling/power systems that either have though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:03:49 pm by AP0CALYPS3 »

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2016, 11:04:00 pm »
Thanks, yeah I was thinking of going with the Alienware and upgrading the graphics card but idk whether it would then be worth the money I'd be spending. Probably gonna keep looking.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:33:33 pm »
Thanks, yeah I was thinking of going with the Alienware and upgrading the graphics card but idk whether it would then be worth the money I'd be spending. Probably gonna keep looking.

Really depends if you want to or not. The 960 is a good card and is capable of handling basically any game.

Personally, I would build my own computer.

You can get a good, cool looking case for about ~$50

A good motherboard for ~$150

16 GB of RAM ~$80

RX 480 graphics card~$200

i7-6700k processor~$300

Power Supply ~$60

1 TB Hardrive ~$50

"Gaming" Mouse ~$80 max (if you go over 80 you are being cucked)

Keyboards ~$40 max (see above message)

Liquid Cooling ~$100

Monitor $150

(optional) SSD less than $100 (250g is really the max you would really want with a SSD)

Total
50   +
-----
$1360
[close]

and I estimated the costs of most part pretty generously (you could probably get better deals than those easily) using non black friday/cyber monday prices.

So you could get a better computer with more customization for just a bit more. It's worth the extra cost imo.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 11:47:11 pm by AP0CALYPS3 »

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 12:29:05 am »
If you want to go with a prebuilt PC then remember that it's definitely better to buy 8gb extra RAM than buy a whole new GPU in terms of price. Do you need the keyboard and mouse that come with each of them? The advantage of building things yourself is that you get exactly what you want, no more, no less. You also tend to save money (although that may not be the case given Black Friday may apply to these but not to individual parts). Also buying PCs and PC parts in the US will save you a lot of money. I don't know if that's remotely convenient for you but you listed your price in dollars so I figured I'd mention it.

Edit: Was gonna post a nice 1000 pound rig but then it'll just tempt you to go over budget so I won't haha

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 12:41:29 am »
Hmm, guess I could build one but I don't really trust myself not to f*ck it up. I have a monitor, keyboard and mouse from my old build so I don't really need all that (I actually won a nice $400 monitor in a raffle but it wasn't actually compatible with my current PC, which is what spurred me to finally replace my 2011 set-up). I think I'll wait and see through Black Friday if anything good comes up, and if not I'll build my own.

Yeah don't tempt me with £1000 rigs, I'm already stretching my budget here  ;D

Offline Volk

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 01:34:43 am »
Thought I'd make a thread for people to put in any Black Friday deals they find online in (or brag about something you found in store if you so wish), or ask advice on possible purchases. I'm currently looking to buy a new gaming PC, I have a budget of £800/$1000 but can't decide what to get. I know the kind of thing I should be looking for but I'm no expert. Can anyone give me advice on which of these is better? Or tell me if both are bad/show me a better alternative?
https://www.amazon.com/iBUYPOWER-AM500G-iBuyPower-Desktop/dp/B01KW42TNO?tag=georiot-pcg-20&ascsubtag=hawk-1455696836-20
vs

Don't buy the IbuyPower one. We bought the same computer 3 weeks ago and it didn't work out of the box. Graphics card also didn't work with the computer. We're still trying to solve the problem even now. As well as crashes and error codes involving the graphics (not the card itself, just visual output in general)

Offline MrTiki

• Former Moderator
  • Senior Madmin EU
    • View Profile
  • Nick: MrTiki
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 01:35:35 am »
Honestly building PCs really isn't hard. It seems daunting at first, and given how much parts cost, it's no wonder, but it's honestly like Lego for adults. I watched a number of youtube guides walking through PC building and was super paranoid about static, grounding myself every 5 seconds, but it's really nothing challenging at all.

Offline AP0CALYPS3

• Colonel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 02:27:24 am »
Yeah building a PC is actually incredibly simple.

The hardest part is learning what parts you need/want to get. Once you have everything you need bought and in front of you, its as simple as snapping everything into its designated spot.

I would reccomend you spend around $200 on a GPU and get either a GTX 1060 or a RX 480, as well as spending $300 on a CPU and getting yourself a i7-6700k of some sort. I would also reccomend getting 16 GB of Memory ($75) and a 1TB Hardrive ($50), but you could easily settle for less than that. Once you have the GPU, CPU, Memory, and Hardrive you can buy everything else as cheap as you feel comfortable without affecting the power of your computer
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 03:12:14 am by AP0CALYPS3 »

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 10:35:01 am »
honestly, i would say unless you really want something, if you aren't really going to use something that much, then go for something cheaper that will get the job done.  You don't need some fancy mouse or kb.   I got a mouse for $10 that has 4 buttons.(last mouse i got 5 years ago was $15 or so)  It was as cheap as some 2 button mice out there so i got it.  I still haven't used the other 2 buttons.  same for the kb.  getting a 20 button mouse when you will never use most of them is waste.   just stick with the one you have unless its broken or the one your getting for a good price is that much better.  Otherwise, its just an expensive kb for little gain.  The monitor is similar.  If it is decent and works, it seems like a waste to buy a new fancier one that looks slightly better.  Plus you can use that money on other more important parts of your PC should you want to.  Otherwise you just saved a bunch of money.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline Siwi

• Donator
  • Where is BCoF
    • View Profile
  • Nick: -|- Where is BCoF -|-
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 06:10:11 pm »
honestly, i would say unless you really want something, if you aren't really going to use something that much, then go for something cheaper that will get the job done.  You don't need some fancy mouse or kb.   I got a mouse for $10 that has 4 buttons.(last mouse i got 5 years ago was $15 or so)  It was as cheap as some 2 button mice out there so i got it.  I still haven't used the other 2 buttons.  same for the kb.  getting a 20 button mouse when you will never use most of them is waste.   just stick with the one you have unless its broken or the one your getting for a good price is that much better.  Otherwise, its just an expensive kb for little gain.  The monitor is similar.  If it is decent and works, it seems like a waste to buy a new fancier one that looks slightly better.  Plus you can use that money on other more important parts of your PC should you want to.  Otherwise you just saved a bunch of money.

Don't listen to scrub. You need RAZOR SUPER CHROMA DELUX EDITION MW3 SKIN MOUSE to be best you can be. Only $399.99
Quote from: George W. Bush on 9/11
Battle Cry of Freedom was an inside job
NW Leaderboards
‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾‾
NA_Groupfighting

Check out the site

Offline BabyJesus

• General
  • #1 Cringe poster and lover of Anna Kendrick
    • View Profile
  • Nick: Most Average MVP of All Time
  • Side: Union
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 06:34:35 pm »
it all depends on what games you play. If you play MMOs you will probably use more of the buttons. Those games are really the only ones that need a lot of buttons. If your playing a game like csgo you would want a decent gaming mouse for the sensor, dpi change,smooth clicks etc. but you wouldn't really need more than 2-4 extra buttons
« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 06:36:08 pm by BabyJesus »
1st NWPC S2(21st)|(1st) 5v5 Draft~NA GroupFighting Tournament  |1st♕Rex's 6v6 Tournament | 1st TNWL S2(71st) | 1st NWL S5 (58e) | 3rd place Sleeks 5v5 (Highschoole DxD)
You are by far the best average player to touch this game.
Quote from: Risk
The BEST average player of all time

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 07:55:25 pm »
vs

Don't buy the IbuyPower one. We bought the same computer 3 weeks ago and it didn't work out of the box. Graphics card also didn't work with the computer. We're still trying to solve the problem even now. As well as crashes and error codes involving the graphics (not the card itself, just visual output in general)

They had a few really bad reviews on Amazon stating that kind of problem, thought I should be a bit wary of it but it's a definite no now, thanks for the warning!

Probably gonna tinker around on here and see what's what https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/

Offline Thunderstormer

• FSE Developer
  • Worse than Hotler
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 09:00:17 pm »
it all depends on what games you play. If you play MMOs you will probably use more of the buttons. Those games are really the only ones that need a lot of buttons. If your playing a game like csgo you would want a decent gaming mouse for the sensor, dpi change,smooth clicks etc. but you wouldn't really need more than 2-4 extra buttons
yea, if you play a lot of games where having 10 mouse buttons is useful, then it may be worth it.  If you only use 2 mouse buttons 95% of the time, then i would say it is not worth it.  as for how smooth your mouse runs, it can help.  though again i personally think its worth putting a lot of money into.  Not unless you are gb player who needs to maximize every bit of your game.
Should you need to talk to me regarding NA1 or or something regarding admining or the admins, PM me here on the forums and not on steam.  *

*This does not include Official Server Admins.

Offline StevenChilton

• Major
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 09:12:24 pm »
Tryna get this down to £850 max, any suggestions?

http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/LvyLwV

Also what are people's opinion on the above set-up? Anything I should change etc?